TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out my brake pads measure 3mm (12mm new) and there's a vibration upon application of the pedal. I've never felt it but the Toy Tech says it's there. Machine rotors and new pads, $170 :xdevil: . Another "Brakexxxx" place has advertised "4x4 Lifetime brakes"; Lifetime waranty parts, front disk brakes, machine rotors and repacking bearings for $139. Of course, semi-metallic/premiuim pads are extra. Am I missing something? $139 for lifetime vs. $170 for a one time deal. I already have a "lifetime oil change" at this place (up to 6 times a year). I feel like I'm missing something in the brake deal. Looking for someone levelheaded to reassure me.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Brakes are easy to do yourself, pads with lifetime warranty about $40 or less at Autozone, etc (when they wear out just return them and get a new set free) Machin roters about $15-20 depending on where. So everything else is just labor/profit from those shops.. they all do the same job. Rears may differ, some places replace all the spring hardware (very good idea) others just the pads and machine the drums.

Beware the lifetime warranty, some like Midas it's only the pads that are coverd, you still have to pay them the labor to install them and machine the roters.

Oh yeah, if it's a Tacoma there is no repacking the bearings..

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
AZTaco said:
Just found out my brake pads measure 3mm (12mm new) and there's a vibration upon application of the pedal. I've never felt it but the Toy Tech says it's there. Machine rotors and new pads, $170 :xdevil: . Another "Brakexxxx" place has advertised "4x4 Lifetime brakes"; Lifetime waranty parts, front disk brakes, machine rotors and repacking bearings for $139. Of course, semi-metallic/premiuim pads are extra. Am I missing something? $139 for lifetime vs. $170 for a one time deal. I already have a "lifetime oil change" at this place (up to 6 times a year). I feel like I'm missing something in the brake deal. Looking for someone levelheaded to reassure me.

brake pads at Autozone= $50 or less (performance friction pads for
4runner) Life time warranty
turned rotors (if needed) at Napa =$12 per rotor

Brake fluid= $6>
----------
$68

Is that more level headed for you? The job will take you less than an hour to do, and that is with taking a lunch and beer break, it can be done in 20 minutes or so in reality.

Sorry I don't normally buy into these lifetime labor contracts, except for maybe an alignment, but I have never needed an alignment yet on my taco, even after lifting it with a spacer lift.

Iam not trying to be a smart ass here, just trying to shed some light.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Tankota said:
Brakes are easy to do yourself, pads with lifetime warranty about $40 or less at Autozone, etc (when they wear out just return them and get a new set free) Machin roters about $15-20 depending on where. So everything else is just labor/profit from those shops.. they all do the same job. Rears may differ, some places replace all the spring hardware (very good idea) others just the pads and machine the drums.

Beware the lifetime warranty, some like Midas it's only the pads that are coverd, you still have to pay them the labor to install them and machine the roters.

Oh yeah, if it's a Tacoma there is no repacking the bearings..

you beat me to the meat of the thought here! well said though!

·
---------------
3,569 Posts
Like the others have said - do the brakes yourself - MUCH cheaper. I have found that the brakes at autozone/pep boys, etc are more metalic and therefore squeek like crazy!! I go with the OEM pads and no squeeks and they last a fairly long time. Re-machine the rotors at Autozone/Pep Boys for like $20 for both. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bear said:
brake pads at Autozone= $50 or less (performance friction pads for
4runner) Life time warranty
turned rotors (if needed) at Napa =$12 per rotor

Brake fluid= $6>
----------
$68

Is that more level headed for you? The job will take you less than an hour to do, and that is with taking a lunch and beer break, it can be done in 20 minutes or so in reality.

Sorry I don't normally buy into these lifetime labor contracts, except for maybe an alignment, but I have never needed an alignment yet on my taco, even after lifting it with a spacer lift.

That's what I needed. Some times I just need to be talked off the ledge. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bear said:

I bought the lifetime oil change cause it was $100 and saves me the time. On the way home from work once every 3 months I get there about 4:30-5:00, about 30 min before closing and they bang it out. I may need to talk to them though cause Toyota told me my oil filter was loose and there was oil all over my engine compartment. Strange, I don't remember any spots in my garage. It's also strange this "Brakexxxx" place never mentioned my apprantly shitty brakes the last time I was there.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
AZTaco said:
That's what I needed. Some times I just need to be talked off the ledge. :)

Don't feel like the lone Ranger on that one! I think 80% of everyone here is here to reconfirm their thoughts about their trucks/projects!

Personally I am here for the women and the beer! :xdevil:

what? there's not many women? and you say those ikon beer bottles taste dry! :xbarf: Dayum!

why am I here for then?

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Is this like the Midas "lifetime warranty". They ony cover the pads, and their inner pads do not have wear indicators and wear out faster than the outers which do have the wear indicators. So then you come back with gouged rotors which are not covered and you have to pay more for than the pads would have been.

Don't know if this is a similar deal, but its something to watch out for.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
AZTaco said:
I agree on OEM pads and shoes. IF your coming to Phx soon I'll help you. Jordan or Jvevil might be able to give a hand also. I paid like $8 ea fro rotors to be turned at pepboys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Funny I was going to post for my first time here today regarding brakes. I have a 99 with 164,000 miles on it. Believe it or not until last night it had the original brakes. So this was the first time I ever changed brakes on a Toyota.

It was a joke, remove the spring like thing on the back side of the caliper, tap out those two rods, use a large C-clamp to compress the pistons on the caliper, slip out the old pads & slip in the new ones.

It was without a doubt the easiest thing I've ever done on a vehicle. It took more time to jack up the truck & take the wheels off that to change the pads.

164,000 on one set of pads pretty amazing huh?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
JimF said:
164,000 on one set of pads pretty amazing huh?
You must have a stick shift.. :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do the brakes yourself and stick with factory parts. I went through the aftermarket pad/rotors nightmare. Spend the extra money for Toyota parts.

Also I have a good disc brake writeup on the New England site. www.ttora-ne.com

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya, I've printed them out already. Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The only thing is, in the write up where I say to pop the rataining clip off first, I found out a better way to do that recently. If you just pull the two pins out that hold the pads in, the clip will simply fall off. I should edit that, but I do not have server access from here to the site.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
grumpy said:
I agree on OEM pads and shoes. IF your coming to Phx soon I'll help you. Jordan or Jvevil might be able to give a hand also. I paid like $8 ea fro rotors to be turned at pepboys.
So you don't subscribe to the Performance Friction religion? I was thinking those or OEM. Probably OEM.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
AZTaco said:
So you don't subscribe to the Performance Friction religion? I was thinking those or OEM. Probably OEM.
an old friend (been a mech forever) told me long ago that OEM pads last the longest.
of course there are exceptions. most hi-permormance pads are made to be run hot, like on a track.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts