TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I decided to go ahead get the BFG A/Ts. They look great and ride amazingly smooth and quiet but when I get on the highway I've got a vibration. I thought it was just the more aggressive tread and it would just take some getting used to but the vibration isn't constant. It comes in and out which leads me to beleive that it's a balancing issue. Has anyone else had this problem? Was it able to be corrected? I'm going to get another alignment tomorrow morning to insure that everything is straight there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
have them rebalanced, do a dynamic balance if possible, and if the problem is still there have them pin-plate the rims when they balance the tires.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Some tires are marked for aligning with the valve stem, my MTR's were like this. If they are not aligned correctly, they can cause this problem, and will need to be rotated on the rim. Also, are they static of Dynamic balanced. Static can be difficult to do sometimes, I did my MTR's this way up until they had about 20k on them and then they wouldn't ballance correctly and would shake the whole truck, now they are dynamic balance and are as smooth as glass again.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Interex said:
It comes in and out which leads me to beleive that it's a balancing issue.
What do you mean?

Have you checked all the other things too - air pressure (do the chalk test), alignment, shocks, etc? Could be that the weight, stiff sidewall, tread design, etc are highlighting another problem.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how they were balanced but I'll ask when I take the truck back.

What I mean when I say that it comes in and out is that the vibration isn't consistant. It fades in and vibrates then the vibrating goes away then it starts vibrating again, then goes away. I know it's not the suspension or anything on the truck because it rode perfectly when I had a set of shock RT/S wheels on it. Alignment will be done tomorrow morning (if not tonight).

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm not quite sure since a lot of people seem to fun steelies with no issues, but I was told at a tire shop that brand new tires mounted on alloys are a lot easier to balance than those mounted on steel wheels.

But i don't really know, I'm just basically quoting what i was told.

·
Registered
717 Posts
ben90 said:
I was told at a tire shop that brand new tires mounted on alloys are a lot easier to balance than those mounted on steel wheels.
the only way that i could see this being the case is how well the rims are manufactured. i have installed tires on rims that wouldnt balance, take the tire off the rim, balance the rim, and the rim was off balance a lot. i run the wheeler rims on my truck, and one of the tires only takes about 1.25oz with a static balance (weighs only on the inside of the rim). im not saying that steel rims are better than alloys or vice versa. a good rim can be off about 0.25oz on one side of the rim and be no porblem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have all terrians, when I get around 60-75 they start vibrating. I don't get the on and off vibration that you are describing. I get a vibration around 65-73ish then from about 75 and up it starts to fade away....

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
If it comes in around 55 or so and goes away after 60... It's just the balance issue... Find out if they have the adapter that mounts the wheel to the spin balancer via the lug holes... It solved my issues when I was running those... My local America's Tire even ordered up that adapter so they could sell me a new set of BFG MT's... Otherwise I'd have had to gone to the dealer to get them balanced correctly... And the 33" muds are spinning just fine with no vibration except what the tread lugs do... Suprisingly smooth

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm lucky enough to have a balancer at my disposal (work at a motorcycle shop)- when I get the out of balance shakes I pull them all off and check them. (or at every rotation)
It's definitely worth doing as I hate the vibration. My job is to find issues like this and fix them, many people don't notice it and drive with their wheels out of balance

Donald

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
the only way that i could see this being the case is how well the rims are manufactured. i have installed tires on rims that wouldnt balance, take the tire off the rim, balance the rim, and the rim was off balance a lot. i run the wheeler rims on my truck, and one of the tires only takes about 1.25oz with a static balance (weighs only on the inside of the rim). im not saying that steel rims are better than alloys or vice versa. a good rim can be off about 0.25oz on one side of the rim and be no porblem.
probably that's what they meant at the tire shop. Unless they were assuming that steel wheels are more susceptible to imperfections at the time of manufacture.

By the way, i wasn't assuming either that one wheel is better than the other.

thanks for the explanation. It was very helpful.

·
Registered
717 Posts
no problem, i try and help when i can. there is so much information about tires out there now a days, its really easy to get lost trying to research something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts