TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brand new SAS leaves the garage (updated with new pics)

Finally moved the runner out of the garage under its own power. Tons to do still but it drives pretty good considering no front shocks. Just thought I'd share a few pics.

The big items left to do: :saw: :welder:
Plate front frame
Shock hoops + shocks
Bump stops
Install V6 5.29 ARB diff in the rear and rebuild kit, seals, bearings, chro-mo axles
Install HP 5.29 ARB diff in the front
Marlin Ult. Crawler
Front driveshaft, shorten one-day old rear shaft when crawler goes in
Wire the VIAIR 400C compressor, plumb/mount tank and lockers
Big Rocks rear brake prop. valve
Xfer case mounted E-brake
Do something with that damn low gas tank
Sliders
Cage with internal spare tire mount
And about a million little details!

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
That's a damn sweet ride! Definitely one of the best looking runners I've seen in a while. Any more build pics and specifications?

·
Registered
490 Posts
looks great,mine was that pretty when I finished my SAS.....post pics after the first couple runs w/her
why did you get chromos for the rear?I am running 35's on a spool with zero problems(I am very hard on my runner).The stocks are unbelievably strong......dont get me wrong its a great upgrade....but not really needed with less than a 37' tire. I will be going chromos soon...just because I a going to a 39'

·
Registered
73 Posts
:kewl: I'm drooling.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks!

I went with the chro-mo rear axles just since I was going to have everything apart to do the pinion, bearings, seals. Plus that'll give me the stock axles as spares.

As fas as specs, here goes:

'89 22RE 5spd.
All Pro SAS 5" front, 6" rear springs, Walker Evans shocks
Johnny joint rear shackle hangers
315x75R16 MT/Rs on 16x10 ProComp wheels
Marlin front bumper, AllPro rear bumper (+ some reinforcements if you saw my earlier post)
M8000 winch
Front CV driveshaft lengthened for rear duty by Jesse @ hi-angle

+ all the goodies above not installed yet.

I've been working on it about 6 months now. It was in pretty good shape when I got it except some light front end damage from a fender bender. New hood, straightened front firewall, new grille + new custom front crossmember took care of that. It was bone stock, never touched (or put in 4WD I bet) which was what I was looking for.

Here's a couple more pics of some of the stuff I've been working on.

Here's how it looked when it just got home

Two full days working on the paint -- there was actually some pretty nice paint under all the oxidation. With the old damaged hood still

The old flimsy tweaked stock crossmember

The new 1/4" square tube crossmember being built

And ready to weld in with all the mounting points for the marlin bumper

Tons of cleaning and new shifter boots + SR5 gauges swap. Carpet will be going away and grey Line-X going in

The donor axle, maybe the nastiest looking, greasiest but basically solid axle I've seen. 3 coats of paint including orange, 24 years of dirt, grease, and grime. It's an '83 with the 3/4 lower gusset. I got sick of looking for an '84/85. If I bend it I would just have to get a Diamond housing ;-)

All new seals, bearings, rotors, chro-mo shafts, and marfields on a stand I built

Testing the flex to measure for the rear shock mounts. There's a block of wood between the frame and front spring to limit the front flex or it would have hit the ceiling. It seems to flex pretty well even with the brand new springs

The rear johnny joint shackle hangers doing their job

Built this upper shock mount that attaches to the stock tubular crossmember

The rear 14" travel shocks. The walker evans have 13 clicks of adjustment that make a huge difference so I think my setup will have enough damping for street duty. If not, I'll move the muffler forward and bring the upper mounting points outward. Seems good from the limited test driving I've done (and that's with no front shocks!) The rear axle will be pulled and cleaned up when I do the rear diff, seals, bearings, and shafts. There are 8 degree shims under the springs for now while I'm letting the springs settle and checking for vibes but I'll weld on new perches and remove those once everything is set and the angles are good

I've always built Jeeps and my '85 CJ-7 was pretty good so I'm learning Toyotas as I go and there's definitely some advantages and tradeoffs I'm finding but I think it's going to work pretty well. I'm drooling over all the gears I'm going to have with the double xfer case -- something I was never able to do with the SWB Jeep.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Are you still running narrow width axles? 55wms in the front and a 58 IFS rear?

Let me know if you want to go wider than 60 WMS I have a cheaper option I'm working on than a Diamond at 64".

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice looking truck.
Mine used to look a that good, but blue.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
arlawdog said:
Alot of detail there, a shame it's gonna get beat all to hell!!!
That's not a shame!! That's beautiful!! Nothing better than one with some character marks on em'

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More progress

Working through the list of things to do to get the runner on the trail. Here's a few more pics of the new work.

Installed the VIAIR 400C compressor and air manifold (Slee) plus 2 1/2 gallon tank tucked up behind the rear bumper. Also a new Optima plus new contacts for the starter fixed the intermittent click but no start...

Pulled the rear axle and installed new bearings, seals, chro-mo shafts, plus new diff w/ 5.29s + ARB. These pics are before the ARB was plumbed and the diff breather added

Plated the front frame rails and steering box mount before the shock hoops go on

Played around in the dirt a little bit, man does it need gears! 2.2:1 low range doesn't cut it -- doesn't feel that different from hi-range!

I'm thinking of getting 5:1 gears for the T-case (Marlin Ult Crawler) rather than 4.7:1. Any reason not to? I guess they might be just that little bit weaker than a 4.7 set but any compelling reason not to get that little bit of extra reduction?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
If you're going Ultimate Crawler (which is a dual setup), you'll have your standard 2.28, plus 4.7, and 10.7 which should be PLENTY low!

All that work and no diff breather extensions? The devil is in the details...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RedRunnertc said:
All that work and no diff breather extensions? The devil is in the details...
The pics were taken before the rear breather hose was installed and I haven't swapped in the new front diff, hooked up the ARB, breather hose, etc yet... Only so many hours in the weekend!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts