TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I run Nokya polarg bulbs while they are white and brighter they aren't going to full illuminate like adding rear driving lights.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've tried several 5 and 7 watt LED bulbs in the stock housing with results less desirable than what I wanted. Bottom line is, as Del stated, HEAT. The stock housing's can't handle the heat of really HIGH power stuff.....neither can the stock wiring. Think melthing wire and electrical fire (if your fuse hasn't already blown). The best solution is to add another pair of flood/driving/fog lights whether they be LED or halogen on their own wiring harness controlled by their own switch or on a relay tied into the factory harness.

Some of the cleanest ones I've seen are installed by cutting 2-3" holes in the stock bumper, and if you're willing to cut up your tailgate....set some lights in flush like to steet punks do with their license plates on their lowered trucks. And if you have a camper shell the options multiply. I replaced the rear glass on my liftgate with tinted Plexiglass, then made some little boxes that bolted on the outside with rear flood and warning lights. Now that I have an aluminum commercial shell there's even more places to mount obnoxious, blinding lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried several 5 and 7 watt LED bulbs in the stock housing with results less desirable than what I wanted. Bottom line is, as Del stated, HEAT. The stock housing's can't handle the heat of really HIGH power stuff.....neither can the stock wiring. Think melthing wire and electrical fire (if your fuse hasn't already blown). The best solution is to add another pair of flood/driving/fog lights whether they be LED or halogen on their own wiring harness controlled by their own switch or on a relay tied into the factory harness.

Some of the cleanest ones I've seen are installed by cutting 2-3" holes in the stock bumper, and if you're willing to cut up your tailgate....set some lights in flush like to steet punks do with their license plates on their lowered trucks. And if you have a camper shell the options multiply. I replaced the rear glass on my liftgate with tinted Plexiglass, then made some little boxes that bolted on the outside with rear flood and warning lights. Now that I have an aluminum commercial shell there's even more places to mount obnoxious, blinding lights.
I am going to go with the KC backup lights and put them under the bumper (at least for now). They will be protected by my trailer hitch. I am also thinking about getting a second set and putting them on my cargo roof rack.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
back in the day you could buy 50watt Blazer 1156's, and a common mod was to trim the plastic piece in the lens for better side lighting and spray paint them silver/chrome, instead of the dull grey plastic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts