TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the &%$^%*&*&(* hel........... did I manage that?

Sitting next to a small car at a stop light, in a lane closure ahead; I figured I would punch it and get ahead of the car to make a lane change. Sheeesh, I just sat there spinning my driveshaft.

Towed to Four X Doctor in Burbank for the second time in 2 years, for the second time breaking on the street. The first time I broke my ring & pinion in three places going to lunch, now I have the right axle and spider gears busted.

Mike Duncan thinks the weight in my truck plus the way the leafs are and the shocks may have all contributed to the breaking in both occasions.
Mike figures that the leafs are bad (all 10 of them), and will have to weight the truck to figure out just what my springs should be at. Then after some measurements, he is replacing the Bilsteins with 2.5" Kings and re-locating the shock mounts to support the axle more. The axle wrap should subside, but after testing if it does not fix the problem he is placing custom made traction bars.

I have only been on two 4x4 runs in two years, so most of the problem is the commute and lack of support in the rear end.

After :saw: :welder: and lots of $$$$$$$ approximately 3,000.00; I will have the rear end, axle, spider gear, seals, shocks, shock mounts, front end King Coilover bearing repair, CV axle boot repair, center support bearing and what ever else Mike Duncan comes up with REPAIRED.

Is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
870 Posts
improper gear setup most likely

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
why the hell would you take it back to the same place as before if it failed on the street again?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yep sounds like this dude is ripping you off. How does broken spider gears and an axle require 3000 worth of suspension work to fix? Shoot if it was me I would find a new 3rd member and an axle and throw it an and roll. Or even cheaper just replace the spider gears.

·
Registered
651 Posts
haha u are getting owned. no way in hell this could happen unless you are doing some crazy shit with your truck. or maybe he ripping you off.

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
bud built makes a bolt on traction bar, and for that amount of money (your spending) you could just swap in a D60 and be kingpoopy.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Post a pic of the broken shaft. I think it's damn near impossible to break a Toy shaft street driving on 32/33s

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
sounds like a sham... sure you broke it, but unless you are flogging the shit out of the truck, there is no reason it should break like that..... i beat the shit out of my 2wd, and in all the time i have owned it, i have spun a rod bearing, and snapped an output shaft o nthe tranny... both my fault for abusing it..... running 31s with 3.07 gears

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unless there is something wrong with the housing, those occasions should not happen with your setup. I will tell you this, though, no suspension change will help prevent internal axle prblems. You are getting that deal they are always trying to give my wife at the auto shop.
You got as much as a chance as fixing the problem by changing the suspension as changing out your driveshaft or spring perches. It sounds like your axle housing is tweaked in some way to cause this.
I would seriously try find a whole new or used rear end. (about a 1/4 of your proposed cost). But hey, man do what you want. That is just my advice. good luck though

·
Premium Member
2,016 Posts
x2 cut the roots, kill the whole dang tree. Get a new rearend. (perfect op to upgrade gears and axle. my vote, either a Toy 8" or D60 and 4.10's)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I think it was caused by having too much blinker fluid.... or maybe it was your muffler bearings... I hear those go bad alot... :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haaaa,

That was good.

Thanks everyone for your input, but the reason my axle broke was due to the pinon shooting straight up. I will be taking pics later; I also have an issue with the dealer, they did work on the right axle a few months back.

Ya I got a raw deal; please don't blame Mike Duncan from Four X Doctor, he did the 4.88's the first time, the second time and he is the one who thinks the whole suspension is wacked.

I do not drive hard on the street. I do however drive 320 miles a week on city streets.

This is just a bad situation no matter how you look at it. I will have it fixed one way or the other

Thanks again.
-Mike

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Lame!

I think that the Kings may help things, but not for long. I'd say stick with Bilteins and go with the Blackhawks! I'm sure this would solve some of these street issues.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
908 Posts
You may as well be "Pathblazer"(plumbing challenged)..................except I don't think the sick &*%$ is going back for more.........for what was already a painful experience.........

Oh yeah and if you decide to admit to taking it up the bunghole blame it on Crack or heroine........not alcohol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the dealer messed up again, sent the wrong spider gear the 2nd time. Mike got p/o and went elsewhere, found one, but found out something new. Seems I was wrong, the pinon was not the problem; Mike found out that the right axle does not completely fit into the gear, this is the weak point and this is also known by the dealer. Seems this has been a problem that only a few people deal with. According to his source, the dealer sends his source trucks to fix this problem. I called toyota corp. office to complain, got a claim number, but no response yet. I do not know much about the spider gear, but I think I have a good case to get my money back once this all over. As for the springs and shocks they are not being changed due to the new info. I did have other items repaired while the truck is in the shop, and since nothing else is getting done to the rear end until next week I had Mike throw on a Safari Snorkel.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts