TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the hits just keep on coming for me...

Noticed this problem a few weeks ago after I snow bashed for the first time this year, the green light for 4x4 on the dash wouldn't go off, and when it did it didn't really want to come back on. Once the truck warmed up a little it seemed to work ok, and the problem ceased after that first snow. Today the light won't come on at all. Front drive shaft is turning, but hubs do not seem to be engaging. Is there something with the ADD that I could have damaged that hangs out low in the front end? Any other ideas? Any help would be appreciated, this is a bad time of year to be without 4x4. (Well, they all are, but getting around right now could be tough w/o it). Thanks

·
20,355 Posts
sounds like you ADD is not working, i would go through and check all the lines for leaks/cracks and all of the wires for breakage.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got back from a more thorough inspection, found the vacuum line from the diff was off. I'm sure the problem lies somewhere in there. I had checked the lines, but didn't see this one til now. Thanks ike.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the vacuum line that fell off and which I put back on

I then drove around with the 4x engaged for about 20 minutes or so, no light. 45 min later drove my gf to work in 2x, came back, shifted into 4x, and got a light. Yay. Got home, light wouldn't go out. Crap. turned truck off, then back on, played around a little more in forward and reverse, got normal function.

Don't know if I just had to get a bubble or water/ice out of the system or if maybe its a faulty actuator. Anyone know if these go out often? I was under the impression that they are pretty reliable, and given the dislodged vacuum line, I'm inclined to believe the line was the problem. Is there anything I can do to work any possible contaminants out of the system or is it not something to worry about?

The reason I am wondering about the actuator (Or the wires, but all the wires seem ok; I haven't tested them yet because I don't feel like laying in the snow any longer today) is because of the seeming intermittent nature of it. I would think that with the vacuum line off it would be a no go, not intermittent. I guess I'll just be happy it's working now.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
With how intermittent it is, i wouldn't be surprised if one of the plugs for the electrical side of it is dirty/lose, etc.

Just as a reference/example; the gauge cluster in my civic was tweaking out, randomly working sometimes, and sometimes nothing at all. The main connection from the gauge cluster into the fuse block was not quite 100% tight and that is all it took.

I'd say its unlikely any wires are broke/pinched/fractured, but it wouldn't hurt to get some contact cleaner, clean out both ends of the plug, inspect all of the pins in the plugs to make sure they're tight within the plastic surround, and double check that the plug is good and tight.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
x2 for electrical. Check all the relays and connectors for snow/water/loose. On mine there's one on top of the t-case that is known to fail on occasion.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
And Eric if you need a garage to work in, call us! No fun laying in the snow!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts