TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Downey also has AAL's, but buyer beware.

Changed out the Fabtech's that were on my 01. The Downey's sure looked better with coating and nylon spacers included. Thicker too...

Boy, was I in for a treat...

After a couple of weeks of driving, heard a loud CLANG one day. Stopped and went back to find the driver's side had broken completely in half. Picked up the broken section out of the road.

Called Downey and asked if I could order just one. Remember, Downey has NO warranty on their products. No, you have order a complete new set. OK, please send them overnight since my truck is down waiting. This was on a Monday. When they didn't arrrive by THURSDAY, called back and raised hell at a couple of people. Got them the next day.

Good thing I got a pair, because...

...you guessed it, the passenger side broke in half shortly afterward! Must have been tequila day at the Mexican steel mill the day those were made. Shipped that one back to Downey and warned them if the set on the truck broke again, I would ship the broken pieces to the NHTSA, and ask for a Federal investigation.

Keep all this in mind should you consider Downey products for ANYthing... :mad:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the Downey 2.5"s also...

After 8 months on my daily driver, with no problems, I made an 8 hr trip back from Conn to NY with a 7M motor and all accessories in the back. (I figure, maybe 500-600lbs?).
This was the first time I ever loaded the truck down with the springs in...

Got home, parked the truckfor a couple days with motor in it.

Couple days after unloading it, yup...I was driving and heard the CLANG also....Half the drivers spring was gone....

Called Downey....NO WARRANTY!
Guess I was lucky (sort of), to get them to sell me just one spring.
By the time it got to my door, it was only about $25 cheaper than buying a new PAIR!!... :xdevil:

Ever since I swapped in the new spring, my drivers side leans about 1.5" low, too... :p

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Cracker said:
I had the Downey 2.5"s also...

After 8 months on my daily driver, with no problems, I made an 8 hr trip back from Conn to NY with a 7M motor and all accessories in the back. (I figure, maybe 500-600lbs?).
This was the first time I ever loaded the truck down with the springs in...

Got home, parked the truckfor a couple days with motor in it.

Couple days after unloading it, yup...I was driving and heard the CLANG also....Half the drivers spring was gone....

Called Downey....NO WARRANTY!
Guess I was lucky (sort of), to get them to sell me just one spring.
By the time it got to my door, it was only about $25 cheaper than buying a new PAIR!!... :xdevil:

Ever since I swapped in the new spring, my drivers side leans about 1.5" low, too... :p
This is why so many drivers, myself included, are not fans of AAL. Think about it for a second... ONE leaf is lifting the truck 2, or 3 inches? And, it is supposed to articulate all the time? How hard is that one spring working as opposed to the 4 or 5 that it came fron at the factory. AAL have a lot of pressure put onto them, and they work the original springs harder, also. I like the low cost idea of getting a second stock pack, and adding in some of hte leafs from it, or just get a spring pack from Donahoe or Demello.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts