TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 2001 tacoma 4x4..I put a westin safari bar on the front but had a problem putting it on, one bolt wouldnt come out, so i forced it and it sheared right off..stupid mistake.. it holds fine with just 3 bolts but i wanna replace the stock tow hook and i cant with only one bolt.. how would i go about getting that bolt out? Ive heard of ez out but being a rusty body bolt i dont know if that would even work, any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Spend a few $$$ and take it to a shop. If its rusty, you're gonna need heat - and lots of it. Is there enough left sticking out to weld a nut on? If you broke the bolt due to excessive rust, I don't think the easy out is gonna do the trick by itself.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ez out, lots of pb blaster and time, and a torch

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I learned a trick from Marlin him self at the TTR Texas Jamboree. when I sheared off all 4 of my lower control arm bolts we removed the spindal on the trail and he took out all 3 bolts in 20 min. He drilled a whole in the bolt then took a drimel with some sort of metal bit on it and ground all the way to the treads with out hitting the threads then took a screw driver and hammered the broken bolt in half to where it folded like a taco then it dropped out.Last just to be safe he tapped the whole so it was clear for the new bolts to go in. I'll post the pictures when I get the chance.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Aviod using heat, its makes the bolt harder and thus more difficult to get out. Drill a hole through it, get a ez out or a heli coil. Ez outs work the best.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where could i find an extractor that would take out a bolt that big?.. it only looks like craftsman has small bolt and screw extractors

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've removed a few over the years. If your in So Cal, and can swing by, I'll try to help. I'm in Long Beach CA.

PM me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
ZR2Steve
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing