TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this kind of low mileage for a crank failure in a toyota v6 which has been babied since new. The Key sheared off the end of the crankshaft and wallowed out the keyway, therefore rendering the pulley useless for the purpose of turning belts and what not. The keyway cannot be repaired. I am considering either swapping the crank, bearings, pulley, etc.. or going with a junkyard engine. I found a v6 from a 97 4-runner for $1600. My question is, will the 4runner engine bolt up direct in place of my 98 tacoma v6. It is an ato transmission 4wd truck.

Also, can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the winchester va/martinsburg wv area for an engine sawp?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Let me guess.. You just had your timing belt replaced at 180K miles? There have been a few members on this board thats had this same thing happen because the crank bolt wasn't torqued properly. If this is correct and you paid someone to do this service, I would try to hold them accountable for the damages. The 3.4 motor isn't known for "crank walking".

To answer your question the 97' should bolt up, but I would look for a 98' and up. There was a head gasket recall on the 97's.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. I actually replaced the timing belt/water pump at 125,000 and the truck now has 192,000 so the motor has has plenty of chance to dissasemble itself before now. I guess thats the way the crank keyway crumbles

·
Registered
773 Posts
mohawk17 said:
Thanks for the heads up on the recall. I actually replaced the timing belt/water pump at 125,000 and the truck now has 192,000 so the motor has has plenty of chance to dissasemble itself before now. I guess thats the way the crank keyway crumbles
That does suck and I do agree that 192K is premature for crank failure. Good luck on getting it back together. There is plenty of knowledge here to get you through it..

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mohawk17 said:
I thought this kind of low mileage for a crank failure in a toyota v6 which has been babied since new. The Key sheared off the end of the crankshaft and wallowed out the keyway, therefore rendering the pulley useless for the purpose of turning belts and what not. The keyway cannot be repaired. I am considering either swapping the crank, bearings, pulley, etc.. or going with a junkyard engine. I found a v6 from a 97 4-runner for $1600. My question is, will the 4runner engine bolt up direct in place of my 98 tacoma v6. It is an ato transmission 4wd truck.

Also, can anyone recommend a good repair shop in the winchester va/martinsburg wv area for an engine sawp?
any pics of how bad the damage is? Angry's was torn up pretty badly and he just replaced the key and pulley. When I showed the pics to the lead tech at my local dealership he laughed and said they've slapped pulleys and new keys on much worse than Andy's was. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
and i would think since you are going to replace the engine anyways, and thoughts on kinda welding the key and keyway? i did this on an old ford 400 once to get me by till i had all the money save for the new engine i wanted. still ran fine for another 6 months when i replaced the engine. i know it sounds shody but it might work, i never really looked on the taco to see what you are talking about, maybe it won't work at all on these.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
LavosTRD said:
ive got a spare crank sitting in my toolbox.....
damn....big toolbox, LOL

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
LavosTRD said:
Ive got random taco parts comming out of my ass :D
painful? :confused:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TacoDell said:
No doubt that's gotta hurt... :eek:
although...I do work with some guys who might enjoy it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I lucked out and found a technician at the local dealer that has a newly rebuilt 98 v6 he will sell me for $1500. By the time I buy a crank, bearings, etc..and pay labor to install, I am at about the same amount-plus I will have a completely new engine-not just a new crank

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mohawk17 said:
I lucked out and found a technician at the local dealer that has a newly rebuilt 98 v6 he will sell me for $1500. By the time I buy a crank, bearings, etc..and pay labor to install, I am at about the same amount-plus I will have a completely new engine-not just a new crank
wow! sweet deal ;)

·
Registered
925 Posts
my crank allegedly broke. i had a low mileage motor swapped in. with labor and parts, it came out to be 2000 even. great job, never had a problem since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts