TTORA Forum banner

Have you seen a truck break because it was in 4WD on pavement?

• No, I've never actualy seen a good truck break because it was in 4WD on pavement.

Votes: 39 73.6%
  • Yes, I saw one break, but it was a beater POS.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, I have seen a perfectly good truck break in 4WD on pavement

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Toyotas break?

Votes: 6 11.3%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was reading the 2lo thread, and it got me to thinking.

I've seen it posted many times in numerous different threads where people say "Don't use 4WD on pavement! It will break your stuff!".

Well, I was a total noob when I bought this truck two years ago, and as much as I hate to admit it... I've done it.

I have pulled out onto the pavement and forgotten to go back to 2WD.

Yes, it got in a pretty serious bind. But it didn't break.

To tell the truth, it didn't feel like all that much of a bind, either. It certainly wasn't as much pressure on those driveline parts as I can easily do by just stepping on the gas.

So I've kinda got my doubts.

I don't believe you can break a perfectly good truck by simply putting it in 4WD and driving it on pavement.

So, here's the poll-

Have you seen WITH YOUR OWN TWO EYES a truck that was in good running condition break because it was in 4wd on pavement?

No rumors or hearsay allowed, guys. You gott be right there watching it happen, or at the wheel driving.

I'm not talking about some tore down old beater that's going to break regardless of where it is, I'm talking about a truck that's in good working condition. One that you would take on a run and expect it to come home under it's own power.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Dad once drove his 4wd Tundra home from a trail in 4HI on the highway (100 mi). Didn't do a thing. BUT, I still wouldn't do it. I don't even like to keep my 4Runner in 4HI all the time in snow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would hope that nothing would break, I'm sure playing in the rocks at times can place a good amount of stress on the driveline as well. That said though I do believe that if you are driving around on pavement in 4X you are creating and placing unnecessary stress on the drive line which of course could lead to premature wearing and ultimately breaking of parts. Most anything that is overly stressed over time can/will/does eventually break. Many times we simply don't connect the premature wearing of parts with the eventual breaking of parts.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
i recently had my front diff completly lose all drive while at the calico cleanup. i was on an obstical that was a peice of cake. the 1st one of the weekend. shouldnt have even been a problem at all.

now let me tell you why i think it broke on pavement. about a month before that i had something happen with my add solenoids and they caused my truck to drop itself into 4wd while i was in a parking lot. i was going about 10 mph and when i went to turn i couldnt, well since i was moving, it was either hit the car in front of me or just keep cranking on the wheel. eventually the bind released with a loud bang and i was able to turn. i think that that caused either the ring or pinion gears to be damaged and eventually shred themselves. i have not been able to pull the diff out yet to assess the damage

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO, not counting the add problem that drabnor had, I have never had an issue. I run it in 4hi once a month to keep everything lubed up. I'm old school. I also run it in the heavy rain once in a while. If the front diff was locked it would be an issue. But since it's open, it differentiates between sides. Yes, it bucks and fights you when you turn the wheel, but it does that off road also. What is the diff between beating the shit out of it OR and just driving it on dry pavement once in a while? If that little bit of abuse breaks a new 30k truck, you might as well sell it and move up to 1 ton. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
IMO, not counting the add problem that drabnor had, I have never had an issue. I run it in 4hi once a month to keep everything lubed up. I'm old school. I also run it in the heavy rain once in a while. If the front diff was locked it would be an issue. But since it's open, it differentiates between sides. Yes, it bucks and fights you when you turn the wheel, but it does that off road also. What is the diff between beating the shit out of it OR and just driving it on dry pavement once in a while? If that little bit of abuse breaks a new 30k truck, you might as well sell it and move up to 1 ton. My 2 cents.
as long as you don't turn and you have the same gear ratios front and rear and the same size tires front and rear then you wont hurt anything. if you turn and it binds up then it will cause damage.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Drab, I agree 100%. If it binds up you have a problem. My question is, Why is it binding up? Is the tripod joint at too high an angle? All 4x's buck when turning in 4X4, binding is a seperate issue.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Drab, I agree 100%. If it binds up you have a problem. My question is, Why is it binding up? Is the tripod joint at too high an angle? All 4x's buck when turning in 4X4, binding is a seperate issue.
it binds because there is no differentiation front to rear. there is no center differential. the bucking you are referring to is binding albeit not as bad as the binding that happened to me.

binding = no bueno

·
Registered
306 Posts
Just two days ago i had to run into town from where i was wheeling (ten miles) and forgot about it being 4HI and made the run into town, stopped at the gas station and noticed it was in 4wd and shifted it over, no problem at all here.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
it binds because there is no differentiation front to rear. there is no center differential. the bucking you are referring to is binding albeit not as bad as the binding that happened to me.

binding = no bueno
10-4 I thought that you had some other issue relating to binding.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
What's the difference bewteen running 4wd on pavement compared to running 4lo in Moab, Lion's Back, Katemcy (Granite)?

From AH64ID post:

Slippery roads-

The "No Pavement" rule is basically to keep soccer mom's & dad's to avoid thinking they have AWD.

Use your judgement - If you hear/feel binding- that's obviously not good. And you need to rectify the driving situation.

If the roads have standing water on them- I'm prepared to use 4hi.
If you are driving on dry pavement and doing alot of steering or u-turns-
You'll probably break a CV -

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are driving on dry pavement and doing a lot of steering or u-turns-
You'll probably break a CV -
Not according to the poll.

It looks like there have been a grand total of two people that have actually seen one break.

One of them is questionable.

It wasn't "I was driving in 4WD on pavement and it broke"... It was "I was driving on pavement in 2WD and something went wrong slamming it into 4WD, and it broke".

In my eyes, it wasn't the pavement that broke it, it was the "Something went wrong" that broke it.

I'm not doing this to try and show that it's good for your truck to drive it in 4WD on pavement.

I'm just trying to find out if the people that claim it will break the truck actually know something that I'm not seeing, or if they are just repeating something they have heard.

Personally, I'm going to have to call this urban myth busted.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Not according to the poll.

It looks like there have been a grand total of two people that have actually seen one break.

One of them is questionable.

It wasn't "I was driving in 4WD on pavement and it broke"... It was "I was driving on pavement in 2WD and something went wrong slamming it into 4WD, and it broke".

In my eyes, it wasn't the pavement that broke it, it was the "Something went wrong" that broke it.

I'm not doing this to try and show that it's good for your truck to drive it in 4WD on pavement.

I'm just trying to find out if the people that claim it will break the truck actually know something that I'm not seeing, or if they are just repeating something they have heard.

Personally, I'm going to have to call this urban myth busted.
i know it wont break if i use 4-lo on pavement on an unmodified truck.
but if i were to forget to switch my front locker off (NOT LIKELY) before turning out onto pavement its pretty possible that an axle might break if i was turning a corner pretty quick.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i have blown a front diff or two doing 4 hi launches while supercharged..
if i am correct i am on my 5th or 6th front differential.
i would redline the truck and then dump the clutch in 4 hi,
when i went to shift into 3rd i would also shift outta 4hi..
i used to race the shit outta my truck while i lived in san diego...
had to burn all that rice down there..

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Now surely you don't think "I tached it up to redline and dropped it into gear" is the same thing as "Driving in 4wd on pavement", do you?

So now we have two questionable yes answers.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
i have blown a front diff or two doing 4 hi launches while supercharged..
if i am correct i am on my 5th or 6th front differential.
i would redline the truck and then dump the clutch in 4 hi,
when i went to shift into 3rd i would also shift outta 4hi..
i used to race the shit outta my truck while i lived in san diego...
had to burn all that rice down there..
idiot.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i just broke the front diff on my '02 4 runner too and i don't even know how..
i haven't had it in the dirt in a few weeks, yet yesterday the front left tire started grabbing and binding on the pavement... talk about luck..
it seems to bind after i have gone in reverse then go forward, it makes a few clunks and then it goes away again until i go into reverse....WTF???

·
Registered
204 Posts
hey law why don't you swallow my load? you sure do have a purty mouth..

are you serious your name is lindsay...you are a fucking ****..
i sure wouldn't post that up if that was my name...now if you are a chick then i understand..

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
FYI For ADD trucks the front diff oil is constantly stirred up just driving in 2WD. There is little else of note that is exercised in 4WD. Part of the passenger side axle maybe but damn little and that's about it. The T case has an oil pump and I can't see how exercising the u joints on the front drive shaft is doing anything of value. About the only trucks where monthly 4WD activation would be worthwhile are those with manual hubs. In that case all you really need do is lock the hubs for a few miles, if you have a locker installed one will do, but leave the T case in 2WD or vice versa.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.