TTORA Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
care to elaborate or provide a link, please?

I just replaced my old rubber mounts with new stock toyota ones, but am always interested in other options.
A friend of mine just installed the 2nd one on his crawler from TG. He originally had an OEM one and one from TG installed. With 2 of the bomb-proof ones from TG he said the vibrations are horrible! So bad in fact he's going to remove one of them and put an OEM one back in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A friend of mine just installed the 2nd one on his crawler from TG. He originally had an OEM one and one from TG installed. With 2 of the bomb-proof ones from TG he said the vibrations are horrible! So bad in fact he's going to remove one of them and put an OEM one back in.
All solid mounts will create a lot more vibration. It actually has a warning on the product page stating that.

Im not sure if thats a very good idea to run half and half. I understand he may not like the vibes but either put both in or take both out. He is putting a ton of stress on the mounts to the frame on the solid side because its not moving and the rubber side is. I bet he also still has a "non solid" (or rubber) tranny mount?

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
He meant a link about the bad things hunter4runner has heard. I was going to ask the same thing. What is the bad things about them cause I def want to go solid mount

If most of the bad things are about vibes I have heard that about all solid mounts. Mainly people say the worst part is when sitting at idle. Mine is for a DD but the benefit of my tranny no longer jumping out of gear is worth the extra vibes I might feel
I'll see if I can find it, it was a bushing issue, ripping and wearing out IIRC

what tranny? the mount is like number 9 on the list of might-be's

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
if i ever break another rubber mount im going to do it like the rock crawler guys do and weld a peice of chain to limit the rubber from moving too far

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'll see if I can find it, it was a bushing issue, ripping and wearing out IIRC

what tranny? the mount is like number 9 on the list of might-be's
A bushing on the mount itself or a bushing somewhere else being ripped because the engine is now solid?

Im saying about my trans. I want to solid mount because the engine and trans flop around and knock me up in to neutral.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I had more of these mounts made with few small improvements - laser etched lines to show how the brackets line up and where to cut off extra material (extra material is there because it is necessary to make the bends in the bender).

if anybody would like a set of these (6 plates total to make 2 engine mounts) PM me.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
beautiful work man. im very impressed, but you still have one weakness the stock rubber that sits between your motor and your mounts... those have a tendency of sheering from the steel and causing the motor to bounce, thats actually what killed your stock mounts.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
thank you! its true that stock rubber mounts are still a weak point, but if you drive your truck every day and don't want vibrations that come with full solid mounts, then I don't see an alternative. rubber helps to cushion stress on both the engine and the frame mounts, and isolates engine induced vibration from the frame. plus at least, unlike the weld-on frame perches, the rubber mount between frame and engine can be replaced relatively easily if it breaks, without removing the engine. and just to keep things clear - my rubber mounts were still in one piece after 118000 miles when I replaced them as precaution, since I know other people who tore their rubber mounts. if you look back thru the thread you will find some pics.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
thank you! its true that stock rubber mounts are still a weak point, but if you drive your truck every day and don't want vibrations that come with full solid mounts, then I don't see an alternative. rubber helps to cushion stress on both the engine and the frame mounts, and isolates engine induced vibration from the frame. plus at least, unlike the weld-on frame perches, the rubber mount between frame and engine can be replaced relatively easily if it breaks, without removing the engine. and just to keep things clear - my rubber mounts were still in one piece after 118000 miles when I replaced them as precaution, since I know other people who tore their rubber mounts. if you look back thru the thread you will find some pics.
I have had past issues with the mounts on my 01, at one point I designed a mount that had a rubber bushing still but was encapsulated, I know a few sets are still in use out there without any issues.

But still good job!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I have had past issues with the mounts on my 01, at one point I designed a mount that had a rubber bushing still but was encapsulated, I know a few sets are still in use out there without any issues.

But still good job!
thank you!

i agree that a rubber bushing that would isolate vibrations like stock rubber mount yet not shear off like stock rubber mount would be the best solution. a picture would be cool!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I grenaded my frame perches also, so I picked up a set of these from viter.

I went about the install a bit differently. I left the rubber motor mounts on the engine and bolted the new frame perches to them. Then I dropped the engine back in and bolted it up to the transmission, to make sure everything was lined up. I tacked the frame perches in and then pulled the engine back out so I could finish welding the frame perches to the frame. When I put the engine in for the actual re-install everything lined up flawlessly.

Only pic of them I have welded in. Welds aren't as pretty as viter's, but they work haha.

They are working awesome. Jumped the truck multiple times and hauled balls through a couple plowed fields and those furrows are nothing to joke about. No signs of any issues with them. Definitely not going to be worry about these frame perches grenading on me. They are an awesome OEM replacement that I can't find anything to complain about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I just came across this thread and thought I would provide some input. I just recently replaced my stock frame perches due to the issues you all have been having. I found a company in MI that did some work on a buddy's tacoma and they built me a set similar to to the ones on this page. http://www.halosupercars.com/blog/news/taco-update/

I'm on my work computer so I cant post any photos but if you follow the link you can see the mounts they make. If you guys are looking for another option aside from using stock Toyota replacements, give these guys a call or email. They were a perfect fit and once I got the old mounts cut out, installation was super easy. The one difference the ones I got were little tabs on the bottom that help align the mount (just like the stock ones have). I just removed the front dif to get access to remove and weld in the new mounts, took me about 4 hours to do both sides once the dif was out. If you want some more info shoot me a text since I don't come on here very much at all.

Thanks,
Ryland
928-Six Nine Nine-8715

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
24 Participants
bretdonovan
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing