TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently broke the plastic latch for my fuel door on my taco and found out that you have to buy the whole lock cylinder from the dealer for $60 just to get the plastic piece that commonly breaks on these. I think i may have come up with an idea to cure this problem, buy some two part epoxy putty [fas weld, jb weld] and make one by hand. This stuff sets as hard as steel and can easily be molded into whatever shape you want.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dude I did the exact thing about a year ago but I used a metal tab and took a notch out of it so it would fit over where the plastic piece went and then I epoxied the crap out of it. It doesn't look good but it will never break again
You can also get them from a junkyard the only problem you will have with that is getting the gas door open without breaking the part your trying to get to

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was thinking of making one myself after it broke, but for a tmp. fix I put a neodymium magnet on the door and have not had a problem (its been a few months now).

·
Registered
47 Posts
mtxe, do you have any pics of your fix? I thought of "jimmying" up a magnet but am concerned about the placement of the magnet.
Did you attach it to the door or panel?

Thanks

Andrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts