TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke two half shafts/front axle shafts last week at the Easter Jeep Saffari and need help figuring out the problem. I have a Procomp 4" lift and SAW coilovers cranked to about 2". The first time I was not on an obstacle, just Moab slick rock and my left inside joint broke apart. We were able to pull out the shaft and break the outer joint apart so I could put the outer piece back in and drive off the trail. After changing the shaft I could drive in 4low, but when I made a tight left turn the left shaft broke again at the inner knuckle. I don't think the differential is locked up because in 4 high and off the ground I can trun one tire and the other tire turns the opposite dirrection.
Any suggestions? I don't see anything else broke or loose, and am able to drive it fine in 2 high.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both times though I was not articulating much if any. Seems more of an issue with tight turns. Also, the area I was on was pretty simple both times. And since the second time was right away the next time I was wheeling I thought it may be something more.
I tried to look at the FAQ section, but don't do much on the web and can't figure out where to find the answer to this question. Again, it may have just been bad luck, but I don't want to slap a new shaft in it and the next time I'm out have it break right away if there is a bigger problem.
Thanks

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Slickrock offers a lot of traction, very much like pavement. Trying to make a tight turn while in 4WD on slickrock could've been enough to roast it.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts