TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so pretty much as soon as I put the new locker in I've had to pull it out. It's a lock right v6 4 pinion case locker. I followed everything to the T and it all seemed to go in fine. I put less than 50 STREET miles on it and went to put new fluid in the axle and a small pice of metal was on my drain plug. SO out comes the diff and when I split open the case.....ALL 4 pins in the locker are broken!!?? WTF!?!? I've seen only one other mention of broken pins/springs on a v6 split case locker but it was with an abused ez locker.

Anyone with advice?? I'm calling Richmond tomorrow...

·
Registered
89 Posts
that's horrible! Granted those are some small pins, but man, they (as you well know) shouldn't break like that. All 4 of 'em too? I had my lock-rite in my old Pathfinder for a year and it was my DD/weekend warrior and never had a single problem with it....

Post up what Richmond says to you; I'd be interested to hear. Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well you know if the pice of metal wasn't stuck to the magnet and just in the fluid, I'd never of seen it and never knew I had an issue. The locker seemed to work, as far as I know, suffed the crap out of the tires in turns. I've only used the e-lockers in my land cruiser, never a drop in locker.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Bear80 said:
well you know if the pice of metal wasn't stuck to the magnet and just in the fluid, I'd never of seen it and never knew I had an issue. The locker seemed to work, as far as I know, suffed the crap out of the tires in turns. I've only used the e-lockers in my land cruiser, never a drop in locker.

are you saying 'scuffed' the crap out of the tires in turns? as in the wheels were 100% locked and binding really hard on turns? If so, that is wrong... these lockers are designed to let the outer tire in a turn rotate faster than the inside (driven) tire. When I installed my lockrite's, (VERY similar locker) there was a test procedure to follow after install to verify the correct operation. Sounds to me like there was an install issue-sorry... and not being hatefull, these lockers have proven themselves over, and over again... Good luck figuring it out.

...also curious.... if all 4 pins were broken, what was supplying torque from the ring gear to the axle shafts?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
91toyota4x4 said:
Sounds like you installed it wrong. When i got my lockright (V6 also) they had the wrong springs in the box, wonder if that could be the case with yours as well.
Well this is my first locker to install but I'm no stranger to setting up gears. I think there is an issue with being supplied the incorrect parts, either the pins or springs. The springs I have set flush with the clutch body.

There just is nothing in the 4 pinion split case locker that could have been installed incorrectly, only the factory side gear shims and I'm 100% they in the correct side of the case that they came out of.

Well I'll see what Richmond has to say about it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr Tacomi said:
...also curious.... if all 4 pins were broken, what was supplying torque from the ring gear to the axle shafts?
how would I check this? also for the 4 pinion case locker there is no post install checks. in a trun from a dead stop in 1st there was some scuffing and bucking, anything above say 20mph and I wouldn't feel a thing, I know from my cruiser what a fully locked axle will feel like in a turn. anywho, I just wonder how many lockers have this issue and no one knows, cause you really wouldn't until it was drained and looked in the fluid.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts