TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 27502
View attachment 27503
I noticed the other day that my rear axle is leaking fluid, I'm not sure if it brake or differential fluid but I know its because of a broken seal. The only thing is im not sure of the name of the seal and whether or not i'd be able to replace it myself here at home. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
View attachment 27502
View attachment 27503
I noticed the other day that my rear axle is leaking fluid, I'm not sure if it brake or differential fluid but I know its because of a broken seal. The only thing is im not sure of the name of the seal and whether or not i'd be able to replace it myself here at home. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Is the white discoloration what you're talking about? If so, it looks nothing like my rear axle seal leaks. They were dark in color, with more of a radial spray pattern that extended all the way on to the tires.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Is the light color the clean metal, or the leak? After looking at the pics again it looks like the clean part and the outer drum is dirty.

Again, it looks nothing like what mine did when I blew the rear axle seals.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not the discoloration, just wondering what is causing all this fluid to leak out. I took some more pictures of the axle and drum ill post them right now.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took off the drum and it was full of oil that had been laying around for some time it seems like. I noticed when my buddy pushed the brakes that fluid was leaking from the mechanism (not sure of the name of it) in the second picture. Mostly from the outer ends where those rubber covers are. So are those rubber pieces seals? Or is there a seal within the mechanism? Or maybe the O-ring seal that goes around the Axle housing?:confused:

1st
View attachment 27504

2nd
View attachment 27505

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I live in west Texas and am constantly driving on dirt roads, and I'm not sure if it is an outer ring, the fluid seems to be coming from within the drum and then pouring out.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Your attatchments didn't work for me.

Did you recently change the rear gear oil with a synthetic?

Is your breather plugged?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I took off the drum and it was full of oil that had been laying around for some time it seems like. I noticed when my buddy pushed the brakes that fluid was leaking from the mechanism (not sure of the name of it) in the second picture. Mostly from the outer ends where those rubber covers are. So are those rubber pieces seals? Or is there a seal within the mechanism? Or maybe the O-ring seal that goes around the Axle housing?

1st
View attachment 27506

2nd
View attachment 27507

3rd
View attachment 27508

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can honestly say im not too sure what kind of oil was put in because I just took it to a mechanic. And again im not even sure what a breather is. Im pretty new to all this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's too bad - I much prefer those aluminum wheel cylinders - He will probably replace it with a cast iron one. I had one of those blow out on a trip that resulted in a guy that I had just met giving me something like a 4 hour trip to get one and bring me back to the trail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes! thank you I did not know the name of the piece. The fluid is leaking from the wheel cylinder. I'm figuring I should probably just replace both since I already have both axles off. But I can not really say that the wheel cylinder is the main problem. Maybe the inner rear and outer axle seals need to be replaced as well?

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
And again im not even sure what a breather is. Im pretty new to all this.
The thing with a cap on your rear axle that allows it to breathe. Take it off, blow through it, make sure it breathes and isn't clogged up.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
When I changed to synthetic I got one side axle leaking then the other. My thought was the detergents in the new oil cleared the gook that was actually holding the oil in(something I read somewhere....)

Once I put new ones in, I have not had a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting. Ill have to ask the mechanic I took it to and see what he says about the oil they used last time. Really appreciate the help everyone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts