TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was fixing up my Manual Hub Spindles, and getting them ready for installation on my truck.

I removed the UBJ's, LBJ's, and all the studs for the manual hubs - they were warped, and bent, and fucked up pretty good.

So after I removed all the old gnarly studs, I decided to chase out the threads in the holes before installing the new studs.

I went to ACE, just to buy the tap I needed. 8mm, 1.25 pitch.

YES - I KNOW HOW TO USE A TAP!

I was on my LAST hole (12 of 12) and the god-damn, son-of-a-bitch, mother fucking slut whore tap broke off in the hole.

I have tried everything I can think of, and I can't get it out, and the high-carbon steel tap is too hard to drill out.

I've tried breaking it, screwing it out, drilling it out. NOTHING! Won't budge.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
use a q-tip and put some vaseline on the remaining threads...then try some JB weld; glue something onto the tap...the vaseline will help keep the good threads from getting JB weld on them. Sounds redneck, but it might work.

Obviously after JB dries, try to back out the tap.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
beat it some more and break it up, thats the only way i have ever been able to get a broken tap out. I have a bunch of valves out of older diesel motors that i use for punches, they always seem to do the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They make a special little tool for removing broken taps. It looks like a two prong fork that you stick in the hole along both sides of the tap and turn it out. Should be able to find one right next to the taps at the store

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Johnyboy said:
They make a special little tool for removing broken taps. It looks like a two prong fork that you stick in the hole along both sides of the tap and turn it out. Should be able to find one right next to the taps at the store

Those things don't work. It's a waste of money, just my opinion from personal experience, of course.

--Scott

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
2019 4RUNNER TRD Off-Road
9,051 Posts
I would beat on it more with a center punch. I have not meet a tap that I have not been able to break. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey man,

If you have DREMEL then you can use a Dental Burr to cut it out and break it up. You can go to your local dentist and ask them for their used Dental Burrs. If you tell them what your going to use it for they will usually jut hand them over. You can also use a Diamond bit for DREMEL which is same as the Dental Burr but you will have search the hardware stores for this. Carbide bits for DREMEL also work. All of these will take time, but you will be able to eventually get it out.

If you have some threads sticking out cut a slot in the tap and use a screwdriver.

I have used the Dental Burr method and it works great.

Good Luck

VTacoma

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Very carefully tack weld a 8mm bolt to the end of it with a MIG welder, then use a wrench to turn the bolt/ tap out. Just dont weld the tap to the part and it should work great.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
mojavehanna said:
Very carefully tack weld a 8mm bolt to the end of it with a MIG welder, then use a wrench to turn the bolt/ tap out. Just dont weld the tap to the part and it should work great.
x2!

·
Registered
382 Posts
mojavehanna said:
this is what I was going to suggest

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Left hand drill bit- whether it will drill it or not.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Do you have any threads showing? If so, you can probably just get away with cutting the stud down and just using that. With 5 good studs, the hubs aren't going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
A drill bit isn't going to touch the hardened tool steel that the tap is made from. All you'll do is dull the drill bit and get more pissed off.

X2 on trying the weld trick. The heat should help loosen it up too.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
If the welding trick doesn't work. Busting them up is the last resort because of thread damage.
At least it's not a blind hole so he can get at the under side in addition to the top.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dick Foster said:
A drill bit isn't going to touch the hardened tool steel that the tap is made from. All you'll do is dull the drill bit and get more pissed off.

X2 on trying the weld trick. The heat should help loosen it up too.
if you heat up the out side it will expand and might help

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Fishbone said:
Those things don't work. It's a waste of money, just my opinion from personal experience, of course.

--Scott
bummer cuz I was thinking of getting one of those :(

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts