TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went and got my cornfed lift (2") put on yesterday. Went mostly OK, except for the friggin' broken front wheel stud. At first, I thought the shop monkey wrenched on it, but then I remembered that the dealership had the wheels off earlier this year to replace a PS rack and steerish column. And from the breakpoint, you can tell it broke coming off, not going on.

Opinions wanted - should I beat the hell out of my dealer with the old wheel stud? The shop doing my lift was cool and bought the replacement for me, no cost. Also, are there better, stronger wheel studs that one can swap into the Tacoma? What about doing an ADD -> manual hub conversion?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I had some break off from the grease monkeys who installed the tires over-torquing the studs. When I tried to take a tire off after a flat I got off roading in Baja, two of them twisted off! Needless to say I gave them hell when i got back in town.

Beat the hell out of whoever over torqued the tires when they were last put on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
obscurotron said:
Opinions wanted - should I beat the hell out of my dealer with the old wheel stud? The shop doing my lift was cool and bought the replacement for me, no cost. Also, are there better, stronger wheel studs that one can swap into the Tacoma? What about doing an ADD -> manual hub conversion?
You could take it back to the dealer...
Driving time, explaining time, possible argument time, waiting for someone who can make the call time, explaining time, possible argument time, waiting for them to get the truck in the shop time, actually fixing it time inflated while they tell jokes and reenact the battle of Bunker Hill using the air tools as pretend weapons, getting the truck off the lift time, etc,etc.

Just fixing it yourself would take an hour tops with hand tools and the stock jack. I know nobody gets their butt reamed, but is it worth it?

·
Registered
231 Posts
they have wheel studs at napa and lug nuts (I just replaced everyone of mine on the front) after my tire came off goin down the road:eek:. It takes about 1hr to do all of them on the front. :xrocker:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I broke one of mine off doing my lift. I've just left it for now until I find some project to do with the rear hubs (maybe a disc brake conversion?), but I figure that's why Tacomas have 6 studs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
how do you replace a tire bolt after breaking it. Im having trouble getting the disc off to replace it. Any help will be appreciated

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
catch2267 said:
ok so how do i remove the rotor. Oh by the way i have a 99 taco 4x4 w/ manual hubs
You do not need to remove the rotor...Read the link a few posts above..

·
Registered
7 Posts
so i have to take off all the studs? i cant put the new studs on because the guard like piece right next to the rotor. thats why this is all confusing not to mention im not mechanically inclined

·
Registered
7 Posts
so i have to take off all the studs? i cant put the new studs on because the guard like piece right next to the rotor. thats why this is all confusing not to mention im not mechanically inclined

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
You Do NOT have to remove all studs, just the one you want to replace.
-The Studs are pressed into the axle hub assbly
-The Rotors are held on by the wheel & lug nuts-

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
catch2267 said:
Once you remove the caliper the rotor should just slide off (may need a little persuasion), leaving the hub/studs in place and allowing access to the back of the hub and studs...

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
grillmasterp said:
You Do NOT have to remove all studs, just the one you want to replace.
-The Studs are pressed into the axle hub assbly
-The Rotors are held on by the wheel & lug nuts-
I think what he's saying is, without removing the rotor he can't access the back of the hub because of the backing plate..maybe between the two of us we'll get him straight.. :D

·
Registered
565 Posts
catch2267 said:
Remove the brake caliper and the rotor "should" just come off. Unless it is rusted in place...then hit it with a BFRH (rubber hammer)....

Remember, you don't have to completely disconnect the caliper, just wire it up and out of the way after unbolting it....otherwise you'll have to bleed the brakes. and if you are mechanically disinclined, you may have trouble with that :).

·
Registered
185 Posts
Just had to do this on the side of the road the other day after I sheared 5 studs off so I know it's not too difficult. Remove the wheel, unbolt the caliper and hang from upper control arm, pull rotor off, pound out broken stud with punch and BFH, put new stud in and use a nut and thick washer to pull the stud into place, put the rotor, caliper, and wheel back on and remember not to under torque the lug nuts or else you will shear 5 studs off :rolleyes:

Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
ShowStop said:
Sheared 5 studs? :eek:
Scary to think that my front wheel was about to outrun my truck going down the highway...I think my lugnuts came loose and an out of balance tired contributed to the problem but not exactly sure why it happened

1 - 20 of 21 Posts