TTORA Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Fer sure.. I can def feel the weight on the nose, may have to add another spring, don't know yet. Gotta feeling a selectable locker and/or power assist will be in BR's future too.. that lockright is killer to steer...

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
yea, i can see a lockright and power assist start to break parts, I would def get the power assist though. Its just at the point of what part down the list will break next when you get bound up.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Fer sure.. I can def feel the weight on the nose, may have to add another spring, don't know yet. Gotta feeling a selectable locker and/or power assist will be in BR's future too.. that lockright is killer to steer...
For what it's worth, I really like my Detroit in the front.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would have the e-locker in the front axle and lock-rite in the rear. I know you did it for street manners, but I'd rather have arms that weren't so tired on the trail. lol I know all about it because I ran welded front without hydro assist for a bit.

·
Registered
710 Posts
For what it's worth, I really like my Detroit in the front.
x2 I've driven Alan's truck a few hundred feet and the steering wheel turned pretty easy. I thought about putting a Detroit in mine, but I'm going to go selectable so I can race with Ed if I feel inclined to. :D

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
x2 I've driven Alan's truck a few hundred feet and the steering wheel turned pretty easy. I thought about putting a Detroit in mine, but I'm going to go selectable so I can race with Ed if I feel inclined to. :D
Oh yeah, creek bed in Tracy City? Now when you get to where you are at a slow/stopped crawl from big rock to big rock is when I wish I had some assist. I still have to drive mine on the road though and hear different things about road manners with assist.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Oh yeah, creek bed in Tracy City? Now when you get to where you are at a slow/stopped crawl from big rock to big rock is when I wish I had some assist. I still have to drive mine on the road though and hear different things about road manners with assist.
Yup.

Well, I've not heard any negative things with hydro assist. Rolison said it made his yellow bus drive better and that it was like a big steering stabilizer. But, when you consider who said it, I don't know if I believe it. haha

I have driven DP from the campground at Tracy City to the trails, and mine felt like plain old steering with the hubs unlocked.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Yeah I asked (the other Chris) BoomTaco about the street manners after adding assist and he didn't have anything negative to say either... drives it to the trail.

Drove BR to work today and it's not bad, just needed some seat time. It's NOT a sports car! Too dang hot out too even with the a/c going!!!

I look forward to changing the spring pack and some good shocks.. maybe early next year/winter project....

Have some carb tuning to do and load it up for SETO!!!! Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet??????

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
going from lockrights f/r to ARBs f/r, it is a huge difference. I would say probably worth the money. However I would have kept running the lockrights if the front locker pin didnt back out and lock up the front diff. Took that opportunity to regear and figured i might as well go all out and try the ARBs as well.

it is super nice having the selectable in the front especially with ifs

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
going from lockrights f/r to ARBs f/r, it is a huge difference. I would say probably worth the money. However I would have kept running the lockrights if the front locker pin didnt back out and lock up the front diff. Took that opportunity to regear and figured i might as well go all out and try the ARBs as well.

it is super nice having the selectable in the front especially with ifs
I've gotta wrecked HP I may build up that way.. we'll see if there is any money in the budget next year for it...

...in the mean time, get my carb tweaked a little by a guy that is a carb expert, hope it works better on the trail. Radiator is leaking a little with hints of corrosion that may be a head gasket leak indicator. And when I got home yesterday the rear output shaft is dripping gear oil at a very fast rate... dang it!!!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Yup.

Well, I've not heard any negative things with hydro assist. Rolison said it made his yellow bus drive better and that it was like a big steering stabilizer. But, when you consider who said it, I don't know if I believe it. haha

I have driven DP from the campground at Tracy City to the trails, and mine felt like plain old steering with the hubs unlocked.

He is exactly right....the ram will act as a big stabilizer and it will drive better.

I hate selectable lockers with a fiery passion. They are such a unnecessary waste of money in my eyes...ran toy axles/aussie/assist/38.5's before and tons/grizzly locker/full hydro/40's now and i can honestly say there has never been one single time i wish i could have unlocked either axle. All selectable lockers are is one more thing to go wrong imo

·
4,068 Posts
He is exactly right....the ram will act as a big stabilizer and it will drive better.

I hate selectable lockers with a fiery passion. They are such a unnecessary waste of money in my eyes...ran toy axles/aussie/assist/38.5's before and tons/grizzly locker/full hydro/40's now and i can honestly say there has never been one single time i wish i could have unlocked either axle. All selectable lockers are is one more thing to go wrong imo
Drive your rig 500 miles to wheel it and you will wish you could unlock that rear axle, your tires will wish you could too :D

See you in a few days Ted, looking forward to wheeling with you!

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
No, i wouldn't.

I put close to 20k on my Tacoma with a rear Detroit before i traded it. Zero tire wear, zero poor handling (even through winter), absolutely no issues what so ever

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Yeah I've heard good things outta the Detroit products.. my experience tho going from Lock Right to E-Locker is night and day (rear)

Safe travels guys see you in a few days!!!! Let's Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
For what its worth, I had no issues daily driving my 84 back in the day with a welded rear.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yeah I've heard good things outta the Detroit products.. my experience tho going from Lock Right to E-Locker is night and day (rear)

Safe travels guys see you in a few days!!!! Let's Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!
I went from Spartan to Detroit rear and the difference was insane. I honestly only notice it being in tight turns in parking lots. My Spartan was very "violent" on road and while turning it was terrible and would unload very loud/rough and sometimes cause the rear to "get loose" (didn't have these issues with my Aussie though). This detroit is hardly ever noticeable. I'll never do a rear locker using anything other than Detroit or selectable again after swapping.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts