TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have some pictures of a brush guard with a winch mounted on a 2001 tacoma or newer? and also how good is it to mount a winch to a brush guard?

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
sqwirlytaco said:
toubabokoomi,

NOT my rig -- but I rememberd seeing these pix posted on the board...

check out -> http://www.brian894x4.com/MilitaryTacoma.html

not the best pix, but should give you an idea

-r
Those SF guys in Afghanistan have 33" Swampers on their Taco's now I saw a few last time I was at Bagram AB out there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
does anyone have some pictures of a brush guard with a winch mounted on a 2001 tacoma or newer? and also how good is it to mount a winch to a brush guard?

If you want to do that, you need to get a brushguard from one of the winch manufacturers like warn or milemarker that can handle it. I have a WAAG brushguard and there is no way it could handle a winch. The flat part is way to thin and it isnt reinforced well. If you already have a brushguard, maybe look into getting a front receiver and a multimount.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
TACD44 has one of the only type that I've seen that will support a winch. He also did some mods to it for a better anchor to the frame. The ones that just bolt to the recovery hook holes will not hold up to any serious pulls. those frame ends are pretty thin and I've seen those things rip right out.

If you want a winch get a proper bumper or do what Steveo in Canada did but fabbing a mount behind his OE bumper.

Brush guards are for looks and for adding some cheap lights to...not much more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hytenor said:
TACD44 has one of the only type that I've seen that will support a winch. He also did some mods to it for a better anchor to the frame. The ones that just bolt to the recovery hook holes will not hold up to any serious pulls. those frame ends are pretty thin and I've seen those things rip right out.

If you want a winch get a proper bumper or do what Steveo in Canada did but fabbing a mount behind his OE bumper.

Brush guards are for looks and for adding some cheap lights to...not much more.
well thanks for the help..i think i might just go for the receiver in the front

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
well thanks for the help..i think i might just go for the receiver in the front
fabbing a front reciever takes about the same work as adding a winch mount and w/o a body lift it's a pain to get the cross-bracing in there for a true class 3 hitch recp. The amount of bracing needed is about the same.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hytenor said:
fabbing a front reciever takes about the same work as adding a winch mount and w/o a body lift it's a pain to get the cross-bracing in there for a true class 3 hitch recp. The amount of bracing needed is about the same.
so many choices....what to do what to do

1 - 9 of 9 Posts