TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up getting BTF to cut me up some wheel lip reinforcements or whatever you wanna call them. Big thanks to Matt and Dan :)

Just gotta get'em welded up now :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
i need some of those! they look good colin.
-daniel

·
Registered
382 Posts
they look good

why didn't you just get bead locks?(not trying to sound like a prick... I truly want to know)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
mtxe said:
they look good

why didn't you just get bead locks?(not trying to sound like a prick... I truly want to know)
they look good,
and my guess is that this is his DD and most beadlocks are not DOT approved,that being said who cares,second arnt beadlocks expensive?and the only DOT ones i know of are the Centerline ones, I thinks thats them,ANd thoseare mad BUCKS hahaha

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
All Beadlocks are legal.. The DOT has nothing to do with the laws. If you can prove me wrong I got 20 bucks for you.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I'm just hoping that you plan on painting those things.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just laid it on my spare for effect. ;) Rather than posting a pic of the ring on the floor or something.

·
Registered
382 Posts
ATLRoach said:
All Beadlocks are legal.. The DOT has nothing to do with the laws. If you can prove me wrong I got 20 bucks for you.
ether way
I don't think they are DOT ether

yes I've heard this DOT debate( over and over) and I'm not saying that DOT makes it legal or not.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think they are there to protect the wheel lip from bending after smashing into the rocks with low air pressure... And they look purdy. :D

Colin: how much did those set you back?

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
its funny, bfgs have an intergrated rim protector design in the tire. how well it works i don't know, i never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
silvertoy said:
I don't mean to sound ignorant or stupid, well maybe I am, but what functional purpose do these serve? Are they just for looks?
VERY COOL!

Thad, I think PsychoTaco is correct ... uhhh ask Marshall (should be a bajjjjjja racer) .... the king of bending steel wheels ... :p

Colin, I wouldn't want to balance em for interstate runs to trashvegas?

Keeeeeeep us posted! Let's wheeeeeeel!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ATLRoach said:
i saw it in i think 4wheeler when the new centerlines came out idk,ill look in to it,but then again i might be wrong...

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
link817 said:
its funny, bfgs have an intergrated rim protector design in the tire. how well it works i don't know, i never had a problem.

The BFG 'rim protector' can unseat the bead and still let the rim get bent... good idea that doesn't work out completely as designed...

·
Registered
382 Posts
REDTACOtjm123 said:
i saw it in i think 4wheeler when the new centerlines came out idk,ill look in to it,but then again i might be wrong...
This argument/debate has so many threads its not funny(if you can find proof you could win quite a few "If you can prove it" bets)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
link817 said:

yes they do. and it doesnt work very well lol. come count the chunks that have been taken out of my rims ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
that "rim protector" on the bfg's is worthless! your rims still get bashed and the "lip" makes the area around the bead stiffer so it lets the tire burp air easier when the tire gets pinched(i've seen this 3 times myself at tellico). they might work on mall runners for curbs and what not :)
-daniel

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
First off thoses arent anybetter than real beadlocks as far as ballancing(sp).
Second you could have got a good set of DIY beadlocks for im guessing about the same price. Sure they might not have looked as good but they would have functioned better.

http://www.copperheadfab.com/beadlocks.htm

Third like Kyle said On diy beadlocks there legal cause the rim is dot approved. If welding a ring on you rim makes them not DOT approved ill kiss you butt. Also that would mean painting a rim would make it not dot approved also.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
04tacodrvr said:
that "rim protector" on the bfg's is worthless! your rims still get bashed and the "lip" makes the area around the bead stiffer so it lets the tire burp air easier when the tire gets pinched(i've seen this 3 times myself at tellico). they might work on mall runners for curbs and what not :)
-daniel

im assuming one of those times was me lol

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
yes greg, you were the 3rd :)
-daniel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts