TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Got a '98 Reg. Cab 4x4 with the 2.7L and a 5-speed... bought it back in July and have only done necessary repairs up until now (i.e. exhaust, brakes, tires this weekend - BFG 31x10.50 R15). The truck is all-in-all stock and striped (that includes a bench seat). Anyone out there replaced the stock bench with either stock buckets or aftermarket suspension seats? I'm a novice to say the least, how hard is it to do? Any ideas on after-market seats? which will fit best and not break the bank? I've heard the stock brackets are welded to the floorpan, is that true? (Just haven't looked yet, I CAN tell the difference between a bolt and a weld ;) ) Any info is greatly appriciated. Thanks.
 

·
Not really here...
Joined
·
3,013 Posts
Eztrog88 said:
Hey guys, Got a '98 Reg. Cab 4x4 with the 2.7L and a 5-speed... bought it back in July and have only done necessary repairs up until now (i.e. exhaust, brakes, tires this weekend - BFG 31x10.50 R15). The truck is all-in-all stock and striped (that includes a bench seat). Anyone out there replaced the stock bench with either stock buckets or aftermarket suspension seats? I'm a novice to say the least, how hard is it to do? Any ideas on after-market seats? which will fit best and not break the bank? I've heard the stock brackets are welded to the floorpan, is that true? (Just haven't looked yet, I CAN tell the difference between a bolt and a weld ;) ) Any info is greatly appriciated. Thanks.
If you're swapping in buckets or the 60/40 bench from another Tacoma, they should just bolt right in; the holes should be there. If you're swapping in aftermarket seats, you'll have to either buy brackets for them or take brackets off another Taco's bucket/split-bench seats and fab 'em onto the aftermarket seats. If you're a novice, buying Taco buckets/split-bench would be easiest for you. Aftermarket seats could be just as easy if they off Taco-specific brackets. Welding/fabbing Taco bucket/split-bench brackets onto other seats is not necessarily hard, but tedious and requires that you know what you're doing with a welder.

Some people go with Corbeau's, Recaro's, and other aftermarket seats. Others have gone with Volvo S40 seats or ones from other vehicles (must make sure the ones you're looking at getting are close to stock dimensions in the seat bottom area, where the brackets go).

The brackets are not welded to the floorpan. They're bolted in. They're pop-riveted to the seats. If you go with seats from another car (such as the S40) or don't purchase Taco-specific brackets,you'll have to drill out the pop-rivets to remove the brackets, which you will then weld to the new seats. Your bench seat does not have the appropriate brackets, so you would have to get some from a stock Taco buckets or Taco split-bench.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
Eztrog88 said:
Hey guys,
Got a '98 Reg. Cab 4x4 with the 2.7L and a 5-speed... bought it back in July and have only done necessary repairs up until now (i.e. exhaust, brakes, tires this weekend - BFG 31x10.50 R15). The truck is all-in-all stock and striped (that includes a bench seat). Anyone out there replaced the stock bench with either stock buckets or aftermarket suspension seats? I'm a novice to say the least, how hard is it to do? Any ideas on after-market seats? which will fit best and not break the bank? I've heard the stock brackets are welded to the floorpan, is that true? (Just haven't looked yet, I CAN tell the difference between a bolt and a weld ;) ) Any info is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

I could be totally wrong but year for year taco - 4runner bolt in should be the same. I just did the same swap into 95 pickup , outof 95 4runner SR5 great seats got them from a junk yard $45 a piece + $40 in seat covers +$5 for leather cleaner. SOOOOOO 45+40+5 = hmmmm $90 for some worn seats that are super badass driver seat has lumbar side adjust and lower panel adjust.

Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
I just installed some beard ultra sport seats 2 weeks ago. All I can say is they are truly awesome. I have a regular cab so I wanted a seat with low profile sides so I can get in/out easy. There seat mounting kit needs a few easy mods for the regular cab but nothing you couldn't do with a drill. I also had to go and get some longer 11mm bolts for the seat belt clip to get re mounted. There kit supplied new clips but I used the factory ones in the plastic sheth so they don't slide under the seat and I have to dig around for them. Do not waste your time using the slider with them. I am sending mine back. I was in the head liner and I'm omly 5'10". I had to make the mods to lower the seat but again no big deal.

I have pics but haven't got around to down loading them yet. I really recomend the seats. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey all,
Thanks for the info. Think I'm gonna go with the stock toyo seats out of a tacoma or 4-runner, a buddy found me a set cheap at a local junk yard. Probably won't get around to it until spring time anyways but at least I know its something I can do. Also found one other thing I overlooked; its not necessary but i'm definately going to want to get a panel for the back wall of the cab (trucks that come with a bench just have the bare metal because the seat hides it). Any more info on the swap itself or corrections to whats already on here are always welcome... thanks again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
984 Posts
Just for the record... There are **some** pickup / 4R combinations where a transplant is a straightforward 4 - to - 4 bolt-in. It's not guaranteed to be that easy... The most common case is '3 out of 4', then having to do something creative to do the 4th bolt / mount. For more info and pointers to writeups, check my seat install articles over at customtacos.com.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
Just for the record... There are **some** pickup / 4R combinations where a transplant is a straightforward 4 - to - 4 bolt-in. It's not guaranteed to be that easy... The most common case is '3 out of 4', then having to do something creative to do the 4th bolt / mount. For more info and pointers to writeups, check my seat install articles over at customtacos.com.

Agreed I had one bolt "driver side" the hole was 1" off so I fab'd a plate and re-anchored it. Also had to switch the seat belt hole to the orignal seat hole and use it for the new seat.



Aaron
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
STD CABS RULE!!!
where are you located?
I replaced mine, they were getting trashed.
the only problem would be the that you can't recline the seat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
98 Taco said:
STD CABS RULE!!!
where are you located?
I replaced mine, they were getting trashed.
the only problem would be the that you can't recline the seat

I agree... sometimes I wish I had just a bit more room, but I like the look of the standard cab much more. I'm in southeastern mass, about 20 mins northeast of providence. How'd ur swap go? did they bolt right in or did u have any fabricating to do? any problems since u swapped them? did u have to do any adjusting with the height of the seat. I like where the bench sits now, are the buckets much higher? and did u see much of a difference... my main reason for doin this is that I'm sick of slidin around on that bench, i find myself ridin the clutch around corners cause i helps to prop myself up, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
xcmountain80 said:
I could be totally wrong but year for year taco - 4runner bolt in should be the same. I just did the same swap into 95 pickup , outof 95 4runner SR5 great seats got them from a junk yard $45 a piece + $40 in seat covers +$5 for leather cleaner. SOOOOOO 45+40+5 = hmmmm $90 for some worn seats that are super badass driver seat has lumbar side adjust and lower panel adjust.

Aaron

Just added a Tuffy Box for a susuki samari in between my new seats it is sweet and tuff too.


Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
i put a set of dodge neon seats in my 96 reg cab. a lot more comfortable, and well worth the loss of my bench. i had to make some brackets. also, it is only bolted in with 3 bolts, since i didn't have a way to bolt down the inside front corners of the seats. check em out on my cardomain site, on page 3-
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/776135
hit me back if you have any questions about the install. good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
Those Neon seats look pretty nice in there Gad. My friend has a Neon and the seats are pretty darn comfy. I might think about putting some in my truck since they should be dirt cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
Just for the record... There are **some** pickup / 4R combinations where a transplant is a straightforward 4 - to - 4 bolt-in. It's not guaranteed to be that easy... The most common case is '3 out of 4', then having to do something creative to do the 4th bolt / mount. For more info and pointers to writeups, check my seat install articles over at customtacos.com.
I was hoping to get 3 of 4 to line up in '02 DC, but it didn't work out. Bought seats from '99 4Runner SR5, and the inner 2 bolts line right up (driver side), but the rear outside one is off about 1/2" or so to the outside. The front one on the outside isn't even close, and I can't just bend it down to fit. :welder:
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
i want to see pics, and what is the model # for that tuffy center storage box?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
98 Taco said:
i want to see pics, and what is the model # for that tuffy center storage box?

OK i sent you pics of the switch Ill take some of my box. It is in there online catalouge for the Suzuki Samari.

Aaron
 

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
thanks for the pic and i appreciate all extra pics of your tacoma, interior especially
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top