TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
considering buying a buggy chasis very soon and would like some ideas from some of you that have worked with them in the past. I believe this is set up for springs front and rear and for the 2.7l motor. Past that I dont think anything is set in stone. What is a fair estimate on money to finish this if I take my time and do most of it myself? Has anyone broke down a list of common things that are needed? Any writeups out there? This will be my first build up and I want to do it right the 1st time if at all possible. thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ahh.........
Have you considered things like
- WHat axles are you using?
-What size tires are you running?
-hydro steering?
-1,2,3 t-cases?

You should narrow down these things, then you will know how to estimate costs. Dana 44's are considerably cheaper than Dana 60's, but won't be sufficient for say.........a 49" IROK.

I would say starting from a chassis............no less than 9,000

·
Premium Member
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn steve you sure know how to put a damper on a guys day!

im thinking 35's at the most, nothing too extreme, just something to beat around in and not worry about flopping

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Vince, we are in the process of doing the exact thing...building a rock buggy. Remember my friend with the jeep at TakeOver? We are both starting to stock pile what we need.

As Steven elluded to, you have to think about everything from the front to the back, from the bottom to the top!

Even with a chassis that is already started, you have to think about how each part will effect the rest of the vehicle. You may not think about it now, but you have to consider issues such as radiator placement and how that will effect where you position suspension parts, crazy I can here you say, but it is true.

As Steve also mentioned, axle choice should be top on your list. and D60's are not cheap! Dave and I had conversations on nothing but axles for hours, where to find them what we each wanted, how to make them work, etc, etc.

I finally decided on a 14 bolt rear that someone had started for a blazer project, Then the guy decided to completely change up his project so I am also getting the front axle to match. I got lucky. Dave is still trying to find his axles.

Also the chassis is just a chassis, what type of frame are you going to put it on, or are you going to try to incorporate the chassis as you frame?

And tire size...on a buggy, 35's could actually be a downfall. the bigger the tire the better the foot print, the better the ground clearence and overall better performance of the rig. Personally I plan to start with 39"s and possibly even go larger down the road. I see 35's on a buggy as more danger than inexpensive way of getting rubber. If you build the rig proper, you are going to have more articulation than you ever imagined. and having small tires will not help in stabalizing the rig.

Oh and you made no mention on motor or drivetrain. Well maybe you mentioned a 2.7, I don't actually remember. But do you have the motor already? If so what about the tranny and t-case(s)

I am not trying to talk you out of your plans, But being in the same place you are in, just a few months ago. I am just trying to help. Hit me up on email or pm if you want to discuss all this further!

As it stands now for me, I have two Ford 302's a complete ford drive train (which I am going to use the tranny to trade for an automatic) both axles and a 4runner frame. A decent start but still a long way from being ready to start cutting tubing! (for one I need to bring all the parts I have together in one location.:D)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Vince,

just somthing to think about.
We have a new central texas member that has more then a few v6 4.3 that he buys from auctions. He owns a 4x4 shop in the austin area. He personaly runs this set up with toyota transmission and transfer case. His forum name is amplified.

let me know if your interested and I'll give him a call.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
if its just a bare chassis and you dont have any thing other than the motor and you want it to be a buggy that actually go then its going to cost a pretty penny. if its leaf sprung then that will lower the cost alot, but all the little stuff adds up. Thing like seats, gauges, steering wheel, exhaust, brackets, wiring, ECU reflashes if needed, shifters, skins, steering setup (I would suggest a GOOD full hydro setup) drive shafts, then you have your axles that will need some bling/strong parts, wheels tires. I have no clue how much money i will have in my buggy when its done and dont really care because it will be what i want, I shouldnt have to worry about shit breaking because i am not building a weak link anywhere. If you want a buggy and have the cash i would look on pirate for one that is already built, i see lots of comp rigs that only have one season on them go farily cheap. IMO if your going to go with a light motor go with something like an ecotec since you can pull some MAJOR HP out of them (1000+hp is possible if ya got the cash)

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The truggy Vince is talking about used to be a members out of NM, went by MattB??

I still kinda say get you an 80's model and lets put a hendrix chassi on it :D

I think a decent buggy could be built for around 6k or less :2cents:

I've got around 5k into mine, but it still lacks hydro assist, longfields, and lots of misc little stuff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts