TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm sure most of you saw "2 Roads 2 Baja" on SPEED. The guys who built the "budget" FJ made it look like there wasn't too much to getting the thing ready for racing. I saw that they bolted on suspension (though they never really talked about it, but I saw the Camburg logo on it), welded a cage in, put a fuel cell in and made a light bar and that was about it.

Is it really just that simple? Are any of you racers? Is it possible to buy a truck, do the above mentioned modifications to it, prep, practice, work the bugs out, and race it? I've got my wife convinced that I can buy a truck and have it race ready for $20,000. Is this a pipe dream? I don't need to win, I just want to be able to finish and have a good time.

I should mention that I don't have any welding skills and even if I did learn, I wouldn't trust my life or anyone else's to my welding skills. I have been watching Ebay, looking at cheap 4x4 pre-Tacoma's or inexpensive 4x4 Tacoma's. If I could buy the base vehicle for less than $5,000, that would give me $15,000 for the rest. The more I'm typing this, the more I wonder if the budget is set too low....

So, please try not to flame me. I just want to know if I'm being unrealistic. Can any of you racers give me some advice?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Might be possible if you could do all of the fab work yourself. Having a shop do it costs big money- looking around $4-5K to have a shop install a full cage, add shocks, suspension, seats, fuel cell, extra parts, gas, blah, blah, blah, and it adds up fast. I have about $6K into my truck and it is nowhere near race ready (no cage, fuel cell etc..) That covered my front suspenion (about $3500 all used parts) rear deavers (used) new shocks for the rear, tires, PRP seats, fiberglass front and rear and paying a few bucks here and there to have people do some of the work. I think if you can find a cheap but RELIABLE (don't want to break down in the middle of nowhere) base vehicle and do some of the work yourself it might be possible on that budget. Check out the Donahoe race tacoma. They race the in the stock class with suspension parts that you can order for a decent price. Add a fuel cell, cage, and a few other things and you are set to run in the stock class.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I know it's going to be a huge task, but given time and reasearch, I'll get this truck off the ground and running.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
well Donahoe has their Class 7 truck that they are trying to sell for $50k and looking over all the things you have to do, since Im heading down that route with an 05 taco. Im way more than 15k and its just suspension, bumpers all around.
Here is a break down not to burst your bubble.
Rear:
Fox 18" shocks 2.5 triples: $1800
Springs: $650
Spring under kit: $200
Fabbing up to spring under: $200
Rear bed cage w/ spare tire mounting: $1500
Strength up the rear with support beams: $500
Rear Cross Members: $200
Fuel Cell: $1000
Routing the right wiring: $100
Install of fuel cell: $250
I can go on, but do you see it all adds up. If you have the cash, expect to pay $30-50k only cause everything keeps on adding up. Having a shop that knows what to do to get maximum travel is key! Im right there with you, finishing is #1 thing! But have you actually seen the first 200 miles of that race? then the next 200 miles after that? The first 20 miles of the race is all show.. the next 50 miles gets into the hills and deep deep sand. Then after that it is a bunch of pot holes etc..

Anyways.. Do alot of research like Baja Belk said... Its a lot of stuff trying to figure out this Baja 1000! Remember you need to have a GPS with all the navigation stuff and that alone with the GPS tracker etc will cost min. $3000

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
ryguy said:
But have you actually seen the first 200 miles of that race? then the next 200 miles after that? The first 20 miles of the race is all show.. the next 50 miles gets into the hills and deep deep sand. Then after that it is a bunch of pot holes etc..
Have YOU seen the first 200 miles?? The first 20 miles leaving Ensenada is definitely NO walk in the park. Half of the slower classes get stuck in the first silt hill at like RM 3. There's some slippery windy parts that could get you in trouble - especially considering at the start of the race you're in the dust and your adrenaline is pumpin. There's a couple giant boulders that can rip a corner off of a car, a big washout that's barely wide enough for a car with two giant holes on either side (to get through you have to put one wheel through a hole on the right so you have to keep momentum to just bounce over it). After you hop back on the dirt after the first highway section (RM 10 or 12ish), you're on a narrow, windy, rocky road with some deep ruts. After the first 20ish miles the course changes every year so there's no predicting what it's gonna be like.

Just so ya know....:D

"It's my new thing today. Bustin chops." - Janitor

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
2WDRJ said:
Thanks for the replies. I know it's going to be a huge task, but given time and reasearch, I'll get this truck off the ground and running.
Holy crap, travel from Connecticut alone is gonna cost you as much as a race truck!! :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we're going to be moving at the beginning of 2008, so hopefully we'll be closer. I have family in southern CA (I grew up there), so I figure I can get the truck built out there. I'll do the testing out in Barstow and most of the guys who want to help live out there too.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Baja Belk said:
Have YOU seen the first 200 miles?? The first 20 miles leaving Ensenada is definitely NO walk in the park. Half of the slower classes get stuck in the first silt hill at like RM 3. There's some slippery windy parts that could get you in trouble - especially considering at the start of the race you're in the dust and your adrenaline is pumpin. There's a couple giant boulders that can rip a corner off of a car, a big washout that's barely wide enough for a car with two giant holes on either side (to get through you have to put one wheel through a hole on the right so you have to keep momentum to just bounce over it). After you hop back on the dirt after the first highway section (RM 10 or 12ish), you're on a narrow, windy, rocky road with some deep ruts. After the first 20ish miles the course changes every year so there's no predicting what it's gonna be like.

Just so ya know....:D

"It's my new thing today. Bustin chops." - Janitor
x2!! You also forgot to mention everyone trying to pass you that has more money and more power to whip right on by you! I have been in the first 50 miles racing.. Needless to say, for the past 2 years we havent gotten past 75 miles.. And those 75 miles felt like you have been racing for 6 hours! Baja Belk, wanna come next time? Its cool seeing all the people lined up. Sucks that people run in the middle of street to get a picture, then you almost run them over. lol

Oh ya.. not to mention after spending all that money, If your truck breaks, its more! Plus you have to rip apart your whole truck and rebuild alot of stuff after the race.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
yeah i seem to remenber reading Mike Belk's name somewhere in relation to baja, was he photographer? or was it a security guard for the TKT dancing girls...

wish i could remember...

The other Mike.:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So last years race had a 43 hour time limit (if I remember right). To finish 1000 miles, I would have to average 23.25 mph. Couldn't someone buy a Tacoma, bolt on on coilovers and some rear Deaver springs, put a roll cage in it, a fuel cell in the back, and buy a GPS and race? Could not something like this survive 25 mph on average?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
2WDRJ said:
So last years race had a 43 hour time limit (if I remember right). To finish 1000 miles, I would have to average 23.25 mph. Couldn't someone buy a Tacoma, bolt on on coilovers and some rear Deaver springs, put a roll cage in it, a fuel cell in the back, and buy a GPS and race? Could not something like this survive 25 mph on average?
That's not counting stops for gas, tires, filters, and the unexpected. It's a lot rougher than most people think with water crossings, tight forest sections, livestock, locals etc. Personally 1000 miles in any truck/car sounds tough to do to me...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I think i could do it, or at least it sure would be fun to try! hell i put a lot of hard baja miles on my truck, and way more in my old 84 s 10 blazer, its possible but not probable

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tweeter said:
That's not counting stops for gas, tires, filters, and the unexpected. It's a lot rougher than most people think with water crossings, tight forest sections, livestock, locals etc. Personally 1000 miles in any truck/car sounds tough to do to me...
True, there are many factors, but just knowing that it's possible is really all I'm after. Hopefully I can test enough to be sure that the truck can endure 1000 miles.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Ryguy is very generous to offer a paris stripper a ride! wonder what he want in return:confused:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts