TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got tired of pounding out the tin stock skids so I spent a couple of days and built some real skids. They do resemble the two that are available for 3rd gen 4runners. I also built a skid for the fuel tank.

I had the basic sizes sheared at DelCol. This saved me a ton of time. They are all 3/16" cold rolled steel. I think the total cost was ~$150. Not bad for everything. The fuel tank took a lot of hand cutoff action to get the bizarre shape.

·
7,735 Posts
Nice.. always good to see someone making things for themselves. A suggestion tho.. those bolt heads are screaming to be fucked up on the rocks. I'd suggest something with a round head. :2cents:

Oh.. and that hook on the passenger side... most people I know with these types of skids end up banging the crap out of it, caving in the frame and bending it over to where the skid is difficult to get off (mine is fawked up like this. If you have other recovery points up front, I'd get rid of that hook.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking for some rock washers. I may have to make my own.

I'm wondering if its better to have a hex that could be grabbed with a vicegrip if jacked up. The big thing I'm afraid of is catching them and bending the heck out of them. Or... a round head that would roll off a rock but the inset Allen may get closed off from dragging.

I do NEED to do something with them!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
if that happens then just weld a nut onto it for removal...

·
20,355 Posts
I had to go back on my bud builts and brace them after bending them back.

IF you can set it up so you have access to the other side carrage bolts work great. The end that gets Fd up doesnt matter when taking them off.

·
7,735 Posts
oh yeah.. x100 on the extra bracing... Ike and myself spent some time bending our skids back into shape and bracing them before moab last year. I haven't dropped mine since, but they seem to be holding up.

I didn't grab any pix of mine before bolting them up, but I used 1" x .25" angle laid down like a tent (/\).

·
20,355 Posts
Damn was that setup ever sketchy to bend the skids back. It is amazing how much force it took.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is DelCol?

Have any dimensions for what you bought? I fugged up my skid recently and haven't wanted to go without one. I want to build something exactly like you have. Looks great!

·
7,735 Posts
They all have 3/16x1.5" ribs down the edges. The front one has the stock pair of bolts inset and bolted to the frame, also the third center point. The belly pan has side ribs and is bolted to both cross members.
I hear what you're saying, most still manage to bend them. Who knows.. maybe you know how to drive. I'm still learning

Damn was that setup ever sketchy to bend the skids back. It is amazing how much force it took.
sketchy? what are you talking about? what could possibly go wrong with this setup?

·
20,355 Posts
scary part is the fact that in that pic the jack is pumped enough that i could barely get the handle to move. It was amazing how much force it took to straighten them.

·
7,735 Posts
that chain did slip off there once or twice which caused all the .25" walled steel to go flying all over the garage... scared the crap out of me and is by far the most dangerous shop 'trick' I've ever done (and probably won't do again).

tho it was effective.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
id recommend sinking a hole through it near your oil drain plug. otherwise your going to have to pull that off every time you need an oil change. and if it gets beat out of shape at all that will be a pain in the ass.

·
20,355 Posts
Mine has a hole, but i still drop them. Need to to access the filter easily, and it is damn near impossible to not get oil on them otherwise.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Mine has a hole, but i still drop them. Need to to access the filter easily, and it is damn near impossible to not get oil on them otherwise.

???? i just reach thru the drivers wheel well???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts