TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Moab last weekend for some mountain biking and some 4wheelin'. I hooked the Toyota my Dodge,threw all the bike and camp gear in and hit the road with my friend. It was 70 and sunny, perfect. Ran Fins and Things on friday afternoon, very fun trail. Biked from the La Sals down to the Porcupine Rim trail(the "Whole Enchilada"). Awsome but quick weekend.
Unforunately the fun had to end and it was time to head back to Denver. About a 1/2 mile from the Colorado/ Utah boarder was when all the fun was definitely over. My Dodge jerked really hard and I instantly pulled over to see if everything was alright. It wasn't. There was gear oil pouring out from the Tcase of the Toyota! Upon further unbelievability my front driveshaft was completely destroyed at the cardin joint and bent at the spline. Real bent. That's not all. The t-case housing was cracked all the way around and the crawl box was smashed in by the front drive shaft. That's not all. After removing both d-shafts, I wanted to make sure it still rolled, and found out the rear ring and pinion had also been destroyed. Total bummer.
Got a wrecker to haul the truck to Fruita. And luckily have a VERY good friend in Vail with a trailer that could come and at least get the truck to Vail.
I won't be able to pick it up until this weekend, and then I guess it's time to start adding up the carnage count.
Yes, the hubs were unlocked and the tranny and both t-cases were in neutral. All I can figure is that either the rear ring and pinion seized up(has oil), or the t-case shifted into 4wheel drive at 70 mph. By the way, I have towed it there several times with no problems.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear about that! Thats really weird, were there any issues that you noticed on the trail?

·
7,735 Posts
Oh damn! That sucks.. ouch!

I thought you had to pull the d-shafts to keep the t-case gears from spinning with no oil getting thrown up to the rear output?

Wonder how the front got tweaked, your theory of accidentally getting thrown into 4wd sounds like a culprit.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I thought you had to pull the d-shafts to keep the t-case gears from spinning with no oil getting thrown up to the rear output?
That's only with the automatic transmission transfer cases. All the others have a gear or chain drive that slings the oil sufficiently to lubricate everything.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
That's only with the automatic transmission transfer cases. All the others have a gear or chain drive that slings the oil sufficiently to lubricate everything.
Disconnecting the rear driveshaft is recommended for all t-cases
Pirate 4x4 FAQ
Straight from Marlin
"Flat Towing a Toyota <-- Must disconnect rear driveline!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Crawler
On all auto chain driven and manual gear driven t/cases, if it is towed in two wheel drive, the output shaft will turn, but there will be no way for the oil at the bottom of the case to get to the top where the output shaft is. On the chain driven cases, the input shaft turns the planetary housing which drives the oil pump. Gear driven cases use the input gear and low range gears to throw oil on the inside of the housing that collects the oil via gutters and directs it to the rear of the case by gravity. Both style of cases, must have the input shaft spinning to lube the output shaft, speedo gears, and rear seal of the t/case. The rear driveshaft must be removed.
Marlin"

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Ah the joys of flat towing!! :(

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't have any problems on the trail. All was good and the was amazed at how much different it was with lockers.
I wish I would have read that! I had heard the chain drive would not lube itself, but the gear drive was fine to flat tow. What about all the big R.V.s towing cars behind them?
Anyway, I guess it is a really hard lesson learned if it did seize up from running dry. I never had any problems before, but maybe I was doing seious damage each time. Whatever happened, it tore some shit up! Hopefully, it did not do any damage to my lockers or my new engine. Depending on how much damage, there might be a parts truck up for sale soon.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Didn't have any problems on the trail. All was good and the was amazed at how much different it was with lockers.
I wish I would have read that! I had heard the chain drive would not lube itself, but the gear drive was fine to flat tow. What about all the big R.V.s towing cars behind them?
Anyway, I guess it is a really hard lesson learned if it did seize up from running dry. I never had any problems before, but maybe I was doing seious damage each time. Whatever happened, it tore some shit up! Hopefully, it did not do any damage to my lockers or my new engine. Depending on how much damage, there might be a parts truck up for sale soon.
Got any pics of the destruction? What ended up being the culprit?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got any pics of the destruction? What ended up being the culprit?
Yeah, I have some pics and will get them up soon. I have to go to Vail and get the truck this weekend and then will know more. Even if the t-case did seize, I still can't figure out why the front d-shaft was turned into a hockey stick. Seems like the damage should have stayed isolated to the rear, which is why I think it somehow slipped into 4wd.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Who knows what could happen if the rear output locked up and trashed the case :eek: It might have gotten thrown into 4wd after the rear output lockup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts