TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the rule of thumb for bump stop length? Talking about the front leaf springs on a push/pull steering '85 truck with cheezy 3" Rough Country lift springs. Technically speaking, would need to lower the stop 3" ... make sense to me anyway.

Or, make the bump just before the shock fully collapse. Obviously I don't want the shock to be the stop.
Or, till the spring flattens out? At what point do leaf springs start hating life?

Using my floor jack the main spring flattens out way before I run out of shock. Not only that, the springs are getting "S" shaped :eek:

I made some stops but wanted get some real experience input. The springs are making a lot of noise so I'm prolly on borrowed time. Eventually I'll install the RUF's I've been sitting on so the bump stop question still stands.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think no more than 1" negative arch on the leaf springs...That's what I read.

If the shocks are bottoming out before that then the bumps need to go lower or you need shorter shocks.

You said shocks are not bottoming, so swap in your new leaves and adjust the bumpstop for no/minimal negetive arch.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Bump em at flat or just barely negative arch.
Then, adjust your shocks to have about 1/2" bump travel left. That will give you the maximum droop possible.

Back when I was at All-Pro, we'd see springs snap or just flat out die. This wasn't because of crappy construction, it was because people were running without proper bumpstops.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
You want some better springs?

I think my old ones are still in my buddies scrap pile....ruf with a couple other springs mixed in all ready to run.....at least that's what i believe they were lol.....they worked good at any rate.

Scuba hit the nail on the head as for your question

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys that confirms what I was thinkin'...

Todd, thanks for the offer I think I'm good to go tho. I'm gonna wheel the crappy 3" rough country's for SETO and hope they don't break. I did put some stops in there that might keep them together for one more ride. I need to make a trail repair kit tho just in case. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts