TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I've been in the process of getting a bumper built over at JFab's shop in San Marcos but I've been super busy the past few weeks so it's been slow going. But I went over there today and got the crossmember mounted after being bumper-less for the past few weeks. ill add pics to this thread as we go along.

SORRY, ALL OF MY PICS ARE WITH MY PHONE! XMAS DIDNT BRING ME A CAMERA AND I NEED PROTECTION FOR MY TRUCK SO IT'LL HAVE TO WAIT!

CROSSMEMBER

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
generalee7 said:
That's quite a gap you had to fill back there! :eek:
yea. the gap was pretty large, but Jayce didnt seem to think anything of it. he just filled it in and kept on goin.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
george.arnold said:
yea. the gap was pretty large, but Jayce didnt seem to think anything of it. he just filled it in and kept on goin.
Did he fill the back side in? I'd question the strength of that.

·
Registered
427 Posts
tube style bumper or plate?

·
Registered
57 Posts
To make this crossmember, it's better to use 1/8 or 3/16 thick square tubing?

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
I'm surprised the threads didn't warp

Does the screw thread in easy all the way?

·
Registered
425 Posts
generalee7 said:
That's quite a gap you had to fill back there! :eek:
Hehe.....I know! I need to sharpen the 'ol soapstone before I mark things. ;) It wasn't any problem to take care of, one extra pass and all is well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
generalee7 said:
Did he fill the back side in? I'd question the strength of that.
No, I only got the top and bottom and around the edges but it's not going anywhere. The bumper is going to bolt into the front, on the bottom where the factory tow hooks bolt, and we're going to add one more brace on the side thats bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
425 Posts
NorcalPR said:
I'm surprised the threads didn't warp

Does the screw thread in easy all the way?
It went in no problem, it's a hardened machine nut. The bulk of the heat is on the tubing.

·
Registered
888 Posts
That looks like a pretty good solution to the weak endplate. I'll probably do that when I take my bumper off to line up the other holes. It has to be stronger than the original mounting. What size square did you use?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
wmflyfisher said:
That looks like a pretty good solution to the weak endplate. I'll probably do that when I take my bumper off to line up the other holes. It has to be stronger than the original mounting. What size square did you use?
the xmember pictured is 3x1.5 but they are probably going to cut it off and re-do it with 3x2 square tubing and will look similar to the one in my build thread

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
should pull the radiator and finish the job - my .02
what wall thickness did u use?

Jfab said:
No, I only got the top and bottom and around the edges but it's not going anywhere. The bumper is going to bolt into the front, on the bottom where the factory tow hooks bolt, and we're going to add one more brace on the side thats bolted to the frame.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
the xmember pictured is 3x1.5 but they are probably going to cut it off and re-do it with 3x2 square tubing and will look similar to the one in my build thread

3x2 aint square tube... :slap: :flipoff4:

Anymore progress with this?

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
AggieTaco said:
3x2 aint square tube... :slap: :flipoff4:

Anymore progress with this?
you know what I meant.. :flipoff4:

no more progress since Jfab was building my bumper this past weekend. They have gotten some of the plate bent up for the bumper and that is about it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
filling in large gaps like that will create a huge HAZ which will make the already thin frame shit. I dont think it will hurt anything or the bumper is going to fall off, but if he does go to a solid front axle I would defiantly plate the frame all the way to the end.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
zszac111 said:
filling in large gaps like that will create a huge HAZ which will make the already thin frame shit. I dont think it will hurt anything or the bumper is going to fall off, but if he does go to a solid front axle I would defiantly plate the frame all the way to the end.
x2 ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts