TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a fabricator in the front range area who can make a bumper for my Taco? Don't want to spend the $$ on an ARB, although I like the way they look. Don't really need hoops but a recovery point (or better yet, a 2" receiver) would be great.

I checked out the Armorology web page but their stuff looks hella expensive! Might as well get an ARB then!

Thanks for any help!

Martin

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Molly's and mine were done at AllPhase in Longmont. Hers is round tube, mine is rectangular. She has a winch mount, I have a front receiver and air storage.

Glad you are over the sticker shock - it's gonna be expensive wherever you go. The advantage of going custom is that you can have whatever you want (front receiver, air storage, winch mount, stinger - whatever) for pretty much the same price. You will have much better protection and approach angles than you would with the ARB.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Hey Martin, good to see you over here.

If you're gonna do it for overland work, stick with the ARB...they're meant for it. For rocks, nothing beats low profile tube work, but they aren't as protective if you hit something driving to the trail.

Offroad Solutions can build you a bumper as well. The AllPhase stuff looks pretty nice.

Have you looked at Shrockworks?

-Sean

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
allphase does great work. just keep in mind that any time you are getting into custom fab work you better get ready to $$$. like troy said, it will cost just about the same as an ARB but you get what you want.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, Armorology is awesome, and Jed (the owner/fabricator) also builds some tube stuff. Don't be shy about calling him up...tell him Jeremy and Ric sent you.
But I think what you really want is the All Pro. It's mass produced, but Towerrigger and Blowntaco have 'em, and they offer excellent clearance and fit.
A couple years ago All Pro was selling a set with sliders, front bumper, and rear bumper for $1200. I'm guessing you could get just the front bumper for a few hundred. And you wouldn't have the wait of Armorology or All Phase.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts

Why would any of us have besides you and Jeremy? None of us have one ;)

However I hear Prodigy is having a hell of a time even getting Jed at Armorology to call him back! I mean he is throwing money at Jed and this guy won't call him back about an apointment! And prodigy is coming from Wyoming!

:confused:

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I spoke with Jed Friday and we are looking at some options. He is actually a really cool guy and I dont think he has anyone else working there. Not quite sure if our schedules will coincide but I am not writing him off either. The pictures he shows he does great work!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
1) Jed does great work.
2) Jed takes his time
3) Jed is the only fabricator at Armorology
4) Jed is expensive
5) Jed is making money hand over fist and is booked constantly.

That's just the scenario. For some people the time and the price is worth a genuine, Colorado built, truly custom bumper of unimpeachable quality.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
1) Jed does great work.
2) Jed takes his time
3) Jed is the only fabricator at Armorology
4) Jed is expensive
5) Jed is making money hand over fist and is booked constantly.

That's just the scenario. For some people the time and the price is worth a genuine, Colorado built, truly custom bumper of unimpeachable quality.
amen..
when I called down there (in June), to see when I can get something done, he was booked until the end of NOVEMBER yes, Ill wait, Ive seen the others, (in person) talked to other fabricators, talked to the owners of the rigs. Jed has my business, even if I have to wait a year, lol
Its all personal preference.
I also feel that "you get what you pay for"

spindleshanks,
I need to check this place more often, I want to wheel with ya. :cool:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
[Minor Hijack]
Martin - that new Toyota axle with locker I told you about is posted up here in the FS/WTB section. It's FJCruzer's that he won at TTORA takeover.

[/Hijack]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the tips. I may end up going with a tube setup rather than a plate bumper - besides cost the other thing I'm trying to avoid is excess weight.

Quick question about the bumpers - does anything different need to be done to make a bumper work with the air bags? I know the ARB and TJM sites specifically indicate that their bumpers are air-bag compliant. What does it need, just to have the sensor taken off the stock bumper and placed into the new one? Anyone had any air bag problems with an aftermarket bumper?

That armorology bumper is gorgeous, though, IMO it's even better looking than an ARB.

Jacket, I think I'm going to have to pass on the TRD axle, at least for now. I really want to do as little modification as I can get away with - just the bare minimum stuff I need to increase my capabilities. I think there are really only two mods I want to make at this point: Some kind of beefed up bumper to protect the front end and to make recovery easier (one of the reasons I want a receiver on the front) and some kind of traction-assistance in the rear axle, whether it is LSD or locker. Beyond that the only thing I plan on doing is going to a slightly bigger, narrower tire (285/35 16) which I think I can do without a lift (right now I'm running the stock 265/70R 16s, which are 31.7", and the 235/85s would only be about an inch more in diameter. If that's not sufficient, I may go with a lift but it will be absolutely the smallest lift I can get away with - maybe 2".

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Jed has always treated me right.

If you want cheap, get something turned out by all pro, or marlin.

Custom is nice, but costs. Its worth the money.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Yeah, he's treated me well, too. How many other fabricators would call the customer throughout the process to update you on progress and ask for your input?

I wouldn't want Jed to hire more help, because then you wouldn't be getting a "Jed Original"

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am on Jed's waiting list and can't wait to have him custom me up some bumpers. Sucks to wait, but I am sure it will be worth it. He said around October for me. We will see if that is still the date.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts