TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to draw up some basic designs of a rear bumper I want to build for my Tacoma. I want to build it with a swing away spare tire carrier so that I can still have full use of my bed and be able to swing it away to still use my tailgate. I think I'm going to use some 2"x6" retangular tubing to build the bumper so that it will be low profile. I plan to use another piece of 2x6 mounted on top of the main bumper mounted on some type of hinge (with bearings for the load) to pivot off the right side of the bumper to swing it away enough for the tailgate to be lowered. My spare is a 33x10.5x15, so it shouldn't hang out too much nor be too heavy for the swing away. I'm not sure how to make a sturdy hinge nor what type of locking mechanism I should build. I have seen very few of these swing away rear bumpers and I'm sure it's because of the problems of the weight of the spare. I plan to secure the spare with regular lug nuts on a round piece of steel. I'll lose a lot of rear visibility on one side, but it will be worth it IMO. I'll add the usual stuff like D rings and possibly a receiver hitch mounted flush in the middle. Any suggestions?

(Excuse this primitive design, all I have is MS Paint) BTW, it's obviously not to scale.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
E-mail some of the people that have a reliable swing out carrier (DeMello, Bent-Up, any others?) and see how they would do the hinges. I guess DeMello's came out really nice on David Hale's truck.

On a side note, PM your plans to Atwinda so he has a better idea of how to make a swing out tire carrier that might last. At least you started to think things through...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is another sample. However, I still think Demelo's it's got a better way to attached the swing gate hardware.
He built mine and I'm very happy with the reults, sorry Idon't have pictures of mine yet i will take some and post them as soon as I can.

FS.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
hartzpad said:
Thanks man, perfect link!
No problem. I've never bought from them, so I can't speak from experience. I just found the link on pirate. It looks like they can probably hook you up, though.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
hartzpad said:
I'm just starting to draw up some basic designs of a rear bumper I want to build for my Tacoma. I want to build it with a swing away spare tire carrier so that I can still have full use of my bed and be able to swing it away to still use my tailgate. I think I'm going to use some 2"x6" retangular tubing to build the bumper so that it will be low profile. I plan to use another piece of 2x6 mounted on top of the main bumper mounted on some type of hinge (with bearings for the load) to pivot off the right side of the bumper to swing it away enough for the tailgate to be lowered. My spare is a 33x10.5x15, so it shouldn't hang out too much nor be too heavy for the swing away. I'm not sure how to make a sturdy hinge nor what type of locking mechanism I should build. I have seen very few of these swing away rear bumpers and I'm sure it's because of the problems of the weight of the spare. I plan to secure the spare with regular lug nuts on a round piece of steel. I'll lose a lot of rear visibility on one side, but it will be worth it IMO. I'll add the usual stuff like D rings and possibly a receiver hitch mounted flush in the middle. Any suggestions?

(Excuse this primitive design, all I have is MS Paint) BTW, it's obviously not to scale.

So....what did you go with???? I'm looking for the same thing to! Got any pics of the final???

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I was considering this option as well. Steve at CBI Offroad was going to build it for me. However, I opted to go a different route as the rear of the frame DEFINITELY needs to be reinforced to handle this much weight. Also, as far as your hinge is concerned, a very common and heavy-duty way of doing a hinge is to use an actual automotive spindle assembly with inner and outer wheel bearings. Most people use a trailer assembly or some other type of common car or truck-type assemblies. These assemblies are used to carrying the weight of a vehicle so they typically handle most spare tires with ease.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey hartzpad,

2" x 6" for the swing away is overkill. I have built quite a few swing away bumpers for Wimberley 4WD here in central Tx. They specialize in Landcruisers but the concept is still the same. I use 2" x 2" x 1/8" tubing to carry the weight of a spare tire (33"), 2 gas cans and a hi-lift.

Check out these guys for the bearing assembly

http://www.rocklogic4x4.com/store/index.php?action=item&id=111

and these guys for the clamps

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section14/gn851.1/index.html

Jayce

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
necessary to reinforce????

jester_motorsports said:
I was considering this option as well. Steve at CBI Offroad was going to build it for me. However, I opted to go a different route as the rear of the frame DEFINITELY needs to be reinforced to handle this much weight. Also, as far as your hinge is concerned, a very common and heavy-duty way of doing a hinge is to use an actual automotive spindle assembly with inner and outer wheel bearings. Most people use a trailer assembly or some other type of common car or truck-type assemblies. These assemblies are used to carrying the weight of a vehicle so they typically handle most spare tires with ease.
Check this out about the bent frame issue..Good write up!! :

http://www.tankota.net/Misc/Bentframe/framebent.htm

After doing some thinking...this is the only real case i have heard about..I have heard of a few people reinforcing there frame (Expeditions West, etc)......

I already have my spare tire in the bed of my truck 45 lbs, Stock bumper weights about appx. lets say..25 lb...plus my hidden reciever hitch...40lb give or take...Do the math....so if i buy a new rear bumper with a reciever and swing-away tire carrier (the bumper is going to be a mid weight not one of those fat guy ones)...I'm not really adding that much weight to begin with... Think of this.....That's like having your fat buddy (275lbs.) go wheeling with you in the back of the bed of your truck!! (Don't worry..I'm one of those fat guys too..lol). I have not seen the frame bend yet! haha (That comment came from left field)
(Disclaimer: the weights are only a appx.)
The bumper below can not weight more than 100lbs. w/ out spare.

Overall....I guess what I'm tring to say....I'm only adding a few lbs.. is it really necessary to reinforce the frame?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Willman said:
After doing some thinking...this is the only real case i have heard about..I have heard of a few people reinforcing there frame (Expeditions West, etc)......

Overall....I guess what I'm tring to say....I'm only adding a few lbs.. is it really necessary to reinforce the frame?
Unfortunately, others have had the misfortune of experiencing a bent frame:

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10508&highlight=bent+frame

Based on the above experiences, I would reinforce the rear of the frame with a 100 lb bumper just to be on the safe side, and definitely do it if you plan on adding a swing out tire carrier.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
jung4x4 said:
You should copy this one. Definatly the best bumper I've ever seen.

I apologize in advance for the size and quality of the pics.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/nmttora/messages?msg=1213.1
Yeah, those Stout Equipment bumpers were the best of the best. Perfect welds, super strong, 1/4" thick angle steel mounting brackets. Very popular among the Landcruiser and older Toy 4x4 crowd. Too bad they went out of business. I read a post not too long ago (maybe it was from you?) that said one of the fabricators for Stout Equipment bought the designs from them when they closed shop and can still make them to spec.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
equin said:
Based on the above experiences, I would reinforce the rear of the frame with a 100 lb bumper just to be on the safe side, and definitely do it if you plan on adding a swing out tire carrier.
I agree. It's not necessarily so much the amount of weight as it is where that weight is located and how much leverage it generates in that location.

·
Registered
33 Posts
thats what i was going to say...its not the weight, but the moment arm it creates and the directional force that the frame was not designed to withstand...That said with a 33x10.50 and some rather small modifications i see no reason you cant keep it in the stock spare location...it sure would save you alot more "headache" in the ideas/design/build of bumper and boxing the frame. At this point you could still replace bumper/hitch as well.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have one on my 99 runner at http://4rnr.net/exterior

use the SLEE (http://www.sleeoffroad.com) hinge assembly - the rocklogic is junk. DO NOT use a cast spindle or hub - they WILL fail, it's only a matter of time. the slee spindle and hub are machined out of solid pieces of hardened steel and 1.75" diamerter on the spindle means it's built to last.

·
Registered
425 Posts
bamachem said:
i have one on my 99 runner at http://4rnr.net/exterior

use the SLEE (http://www.sleeoffroad.com) hinge assembly - the rocklogic is junk. DO NOT use a cast spindle or hub - they WILL fail, it's only a matter of time. the slee spindle and hub are machined out of solid pieces of hardened steel and 1.75" diamerter on the spindle means it's built to last.
bamachem,

I think that you must be talking about a different product. I have used the spindle set up from Rocklogic to build quit a few bumpers and they work great. IT IS NOT A CAST PIECE. It is machined out of a piece of solid stock and is strong as hell. IT WILL NOT FAIL!!!

Jayce

1 - 20 of 26 Posts