TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get a bumper and i want it made in colorado or utah (so i can pick it up and or leave the truck to get fitted)

I cant afford an armorology (i would get a front and rear from them in a heartbeat if i had a spare $3500+ laying around)

interested in plate bumpers and need a rear with a swingout carrier. The truck has a 2" body lift and a 2.5" suspension lift.. the 05+ model allpro front bumper (that is in 3 sections) is nice but they dont make that for a 2000 tacoma.

anyone else in co that makes nice bumpers and doesnt charge incredible amounts? anyone with welding skills that needs some work willing to make something similar to an armorology? I can do all the finish work (grinding welds and painting)

thanks
t

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Most of the Armorology masterpiece is grinding. Granted, they take their time on fit up too... But lots of people could help you out if you're willing to do the grinding to make it look pretty. I never take the time to do any finish work, so I have never made anything that looks close to armorology, but I would assume with proper fit up, and a lot of patience with the grinder, it is possible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea they do look nice. the rear bumpers are a whole lot nicer than most of the stuff i have ever seen though, and the tire carriers are very stout..

i am considering making one myself been on the lookout for a used hobart handler 140 and a used plasma cutter. i have a number of grinders and a chop saw, i have just never made anything that needs to be structurally sound (winching off of it) all of my welding experience has been dectorative/rustic lights and art crap.

i wish i could buy an armorology and do all the finishing myself... i would love to give them the business.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I have an arc welder that I got for free, a $30 4.5" hand grinder, and a torch setup I bought for a little under $300. While it is far from the fanciest or most efficient metal work setup, I really can do just about anything. I've had that setup for about a year and a half now, and seldom have I run into a project where I needed more advanced equipment. Although being able to effectively arc weld, oxy/acetylene weld and torch cut take some more time and practice than some of the more advanced equipment.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Just about any of the local 4WD shops will do custom work, but plate bumpers are incredibly time intensive - WAY more work than a tube bumper. In terms of "mass producers", the closest I can think of is CBI up in Idaho.

I have a Lincoln 180 and can borrow a plasma cutter if you decide you want to do it "yourself".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts