TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you all recommend using brand new OEM rubber bushings in the leaf pack or a set of Polyurethane bushings?

It is going to be used mostly for street driving. I want to maintain the smoothest, most solid ride and I really don't want to ever have to put up with squeaking. Which would be the best to use and why? I have both brand new rubber and polyurethane sitting in my kitchen and I dont know which to use. I am going to take back which ever set I do not use though. The poly cost $30 and the OEM cost $70 but I am most concerned with what I mentioned above.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had 75K on my stock bushing, never made a noise, that has to say something for them... I also just spent 4 hours pulling off the stock leafs because the bolts were seized to the bushing sleeves. I Just put Dakars on and used the OME poly bushings and loaded them up with grease, and anti-siezed the bolts/shackles. If they start to squeak too bad, I'll go back to rubber. Either way, I'll have to pull them at some point and grease the bolts. Have you considered changing to greasable shackles and main eye bolts? Would probably eliminate any squeaks in the future...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its an 07' all that is available is the OEM shackles. I have yet to install either so I am not saying either squeaks, just don't want to find out the hard way. I also want the ones that will ride the softest and most solid, I am assuming that the OEM ones are going to accomodate me better I just wanted to get advice from you suspension pros out there.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could just get some greasable shackle bolts,knock out the stock bolts from the stock shackles and replace them with the greasable ones. 4crawler sells them (I think) and I know I've seen them in a few other places... Poly bushings will squeak if you dont keep em lubed, I've never had good luck with them unless I keep up with the grease. They are definatly "more solid" then rubber, but rubber is softer and allows the spring to flex a little more on the bushing. But like I said before, "most" rubber bushings wont squeak. No matter which way you go,make sure you anti-seize the bolts...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Listen to BrucieP07 on this one. ;) I wish I had switched to the OME greaseable shackle bolts as well. It will save you a lot of time and headache when it comes time to regrease the bushings. I've only had my Dakars installed on my truck since September, and they are already starting to squeek and need greased soon. I just don't have an entire afternoon right now to pull them and regrease them. Think about it...5 minutes versus 1-2 hours.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Listen to BrucieP07 on this one. ;) I wish I had switched to the OME greaseable shackle bolts as well. It will save you a lot of time and headache when it comes time to regrease the bushings. I've only had my Dakars installed on my truck since September, and they are already starting to squeek and need greased soon. I just don't have an entire afternoon right now to pull them and regrease them. Think about it...5 minutes versus 1-2 hours.
I personally haven't had much success with greasable shackle bolts. They don't quite get the grease where it's needed. Plus I doubt they are as strong as a non-greasable shackle bolt. Hell the zerks never last long enough for me to re-grease.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I put factory bushings in my Dakars and they don't squeek.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
factory bushings don't figure to squeak since they are rubber.
Yeah, that was his question, or did I miss something? My rubber factory bushings don't squeek. Every poly bushing I have ever run squeeked eventually.:2cents:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've had my poly bushings on for 2 days now, greased the hell out of them when I put them on, and they squeak already. Plus, it's a little harder to torque the poly bushings because they stick out just a little further than the stock ones did, so if I torque them to factory spec (67 ft-lbs) they bind, so I have to back them off a little at a time till they stop binding, and I end up with a clunk because the sleave inside the bushing is loose and can move from side to side on the shackle.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I am definately going to run the OEM bushings. I bought a new set because the shop that is putting it all on for me said that it would be better to use new bushings rather than have to pry the others out because they are prone to tear and can easily be damaged. Oh well better safe than sorry I guess.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
my bushings on my 05 squeek till no tomorrow and has done it off and on 6 mos since i had the truck. i really dont know how i deal with it . anyway i guess i should devise some sort of contraption to easily grease the bushings without degrading strength anywhere. any bidders?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
my bushings on my 05 squeek till no tomorrow and has done it off and on 6 mos since i had the truck. i really dont know how i deal with it . anyway i guess i should devise some sort of contraption to easily grease the bushings without degrading strength anywhere. any bidders?
Kinda odd that your rear spring bushings squeek. Not questioning your statement, just seems odd. I have never had stock rubber bushings squeek until they get old and dried out. Try spraying some WD40 or belt dressing on them. It will work it's way between the rubber and the bracket.:2cents:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just a quick question while we're on the subject, does anyone know if stock toyota bushings will fit in Dakar leafs (first gen 03 taco)? I didn't even check to see if they were the same but I used the OME polys and I wanna swap to stock...

·
Registered
597 Posts
yes

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
I don't know what kind of "rubber" the stock bushings are made of, but unless its nitrile or some such thing they probably won't take kindly to petroleum products (like grease) in the long term. You could try silicone, but it does not seem to be a great lubricant.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Kinda odd that your rear spring bushings squeek. Not questioning your statement, just seems odd. I have never had stock rubber bushings squeek until they get old and dried out. Try spraying some WD40 or belt dressing on them. It will work it's way between the rubber and the bracket.:2cents:
Before I installed the Dakars on my truck, my stock suspension had 118,000 miles on it, and not one squeek out of the stock rubber bushings. The poly bushings with the OME's started squeeking after 4 months! I'm more than likely going to switch to stock rubber bushings when I go to regrease. Does the squeeking mean the bushings are wearing faster?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My Dakars squeaked after a couple of months. I don't even notice it really. Now if my truck stops making noises I get concerned.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts