TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading NorcalPR’s post on Deckplate vs Stock vs Outlaw I learned of that nifty gadget called the “scanguage II” (by the way, nice post).

I know this has probably been covered here a few times already but I found nothing from searching.

Can the ScanguageII settle the argument…

At freeway speeds, it is more fuel efficient to turn on the A/C and roll the windows up, rather than windows down with the A/C off .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nope, i watched that mythbusters episode and if i remember right it's still cheaper to have the windows down, than the a/c on.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Nope, i watched that mythbusters episode and if i remember right it's still cheaper to have the windows down, than the a/c on.

Guess what retard? Do you think our trucks have the same aerodynamics as the ford taurus or whatever it is that they used?

Leave the windows up and turn on the A/C. A guy on here did a pretty extensive test on it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I had my RX7 I did a little experiment. I left the car in cruise and watched the vaccum/boost guage. With the windows down, the car had less vaccum than having the A/C on meaning the cruise control module would open the throttle more to keep the same speed with the windows down then it would with the A/C on.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
When I had my RX7 I did a little experiment. I left the car in cruise and watched the vaccum/boost guage. With the windows down, the car had less vaccum than having the A/C on meaning the cruise control module would open the throttle more to keep the same speed with the windows down then it would with the A/C on.
That’s cool.

I was kinda hoping that one of the guys here had used one of those Scanguage II gizmo’s to do what you did with your RX7.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mythbusters did 2 shows about it. the out comes where: below 55mph windows down no ac, speeds above 55mph windows up with ac is better

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Personally, I'm on the "It's hot, I think I'll run the AC" program.

I don't give a rat's ass whether it cost more or less.

If the only thing standing between me and an opportunity to avoid sweating like a pig while I'm stuck in a ten mile long traffic jam is the dollar or two that it might cost, then I'm spending the buck.

Fuck, that's what I bought it for!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally, I'm on the "It's hot, I think I'll run the AC" program.

I don't give a rat's ass whether it cost more or less.

If the only thing standing between me and an opportunity to avoid sweating like a pig while I'm stuck in a ten mile long traffic jam is the dollar or two that it might cost, then I'm spending the buck.

Fuck, that's what I bought it for!
Heck yah, I am in your camp. I won’t make myself uncomfortable just to save a buck. I was only curious if anyone with one of the Scanguages would share the numbers as related to the A/C question.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have a scanguage and with the A/C on, the mpg drops 1-2 when cruising at about 55-60mph. Personally, if its really hot, I'll run the Ac, I don't care about the mpg.

·
Registered
172 Posts
wow Yotracer, calling me a retard for posting what i saw on mythbusters. Grow up you little kid. Comments like that make people feel like not posting. I thought forums like these were here to help others, not bash.

·
Registered
249 Posts
All I know is that I don't have AC and the minute monetary difference would be well worth it to run the AC than just windos down.

·
Registered
682 Posts
There's more to life than gas mileage. Especially if you drive a 4x4....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
There's more to life than gas mileage. Especially if you drive a 4x4....
Yes, I agree with everyone. I would not overheat myself to save a buck. Heck, I roll up my windows and turn on the A/C (outside vent closed) even when it is not so hot, just to try and decrease the direct tailpipe emissions one will breath on our fine freeways.

What I was hoping to learn was the aerodynamic effect rolling down the windows has on the Tacoma at freeway speeds. Just geek stuff someone like me would find out if I had one of those Scanguages.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We often talk about mods and things to do to our truck to improve MPG.

How about things we can do to our Air Conditioning system to make that more fuel efficient?

I'll start:
1. tinted windows
2. other ideas?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
There's always Foil... that werks for houses though... ha ha...

Anyway... I've read somewhere that the difference is roughly about 4% So... Im not going to sweat this summer bout gas prices or how much I spend on fuel... I need to get to and from work... Thas what pay's the billz...

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Turn off the AC and roll up the windows then sweat. LOL

Actually if you are going fast enough you don't need the windows open, you'll get enough air from the vents so I roll them up at highway speeds and put them down for the street. I do have a moon roof so I guess that tends to help with the ventilation somewhat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts