TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 3.4, and just turned 90,000 miles. I don't have the money to replace it right now, what is my worst case senario. I know on my old 22re if the belt went so did your valves. What happens on the 3.4? I know that there is no answer correct/safe answer to this question, but how long can I push it for?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I know that when I was a kid we carried a set of panty hoes as an emergancy belt. It was good enough to get us to home or shop for a new belt. I still carry a set today.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I know that when I was a kid we carried a set of panty hoes as an emergancy belt. It was good enough to get us to home or shop for a new belt. I still carry a set today.
That would work as an accessory belt (A/C, Alternator, PS, waterpump, etc.) but wouldn't do anything as a timing belt. Maybe some fish nets would have a better chance. :rofl:

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I've got a 2001 3.4, and just turned 90,000 miles. I don't have the money to replace it right now, what is my worst case senario. I know on my old 22re if the belt went so did your valves. What happens on the 3.4? I know that there is no answer correct/safe answer to this question, but how long can I push it for?
My timing belt slipped at around 65K miles (7 yr old truck) -
If you are lucky- it will just cost you a tow truck ride home-

Worst case scenarios-
You are stranded on the freeway in the wrong part of town or in the middle of the night.
You cause a major traffic accident since your truck died on the freeway entrance ramp or while merging in front of a semi.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
That would work as an accessory belt (A/C, Alternator, PS, waterpump, etc.) but wouldn't do anything as a timing belt. Maybe some fish nets would have a better chance. :rofl:
This worked when the old Chevy's (67) only had one belt for fan, alternater, and harmonic balancer. This is an emergancy uses only. Pull tight enough and will work.
Sometime it's good to be old and know a thing or two that the younger generation don't know :rolleyes:? I perfer the white ones with seam in back. Like the old nurses wore :eek:. Of course they are the type that needs a garter to hold up :D . :2cents:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info. At this point since it isn't going to directly kill the motor, I'm going to put it off. Any ideas on a mileage span? say 100000 or 110000.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
At this point since it isn't going to directly kill the motor, I'm going to put it off. Any ideas on a mileage span? say 100000 or 110000.
You have officially jinxed yourself.

The Factory recommended interval is 90K.
If you can't afford to have it doen- learn to do it yourself.
Its not simply a mileage life span.
The T-belt is a $20-30 part and is rarely an issue itself.
-The water pump is more often the culprit-
Leaky water pump seal.....causes overheating or causes the belt to slip.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just turned 180,000 and still have the original timing belt. I don't ever race or run the hell out of it and probably 130,000 are highway miles. I have no plans on replacing it either. once it goes out I will just do a complete engine rebuild

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I changed mine at 90K as recommended, since then I have an additional 98K on the replacement belt. I have been concerned about it but I think it is one of those "guidlines" more than a rule! change it as soon as you can though. Along with the water pump as suggested earlier

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Yea I have heard of that trick before…from my mom actually! Problem being is the timing belt is "internal" in other words, you have to tear down the front of the motor just to get to it! Then you are putting a "fabric" in a very harsh environment and asking it to perform long enough to get you to the nearest shop.

I think I would rather just call the tow truck in this case!

(I have also taken off my leather belt and used it as a accesory belt on an old ford once so there are always solutions to sticky situations!. I have also used a plastic water bottle and two hose clamps) to repair a busted radiator hose on my BMW…mc gyver style!)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I can say DS! Was thinking serpenten belt, fan belt. Yes my time to be flamed and HAHAHAHA at. Sorry wrong info thou.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
no reason to flame, I just thought I would clearify!

all good!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
We'll the reason it wouldn't work as a timing belt be becaue the belt actually has groves for the gears of the pulley's.

Panty hoes would simply slip on the pulleys and the cam gears would be out of timing.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thank you for the info. At this point since it isn't going to directly kill the motor, I'm going to put it off. Any ideas on a mileage span? say 100000 or 110000.
Mine lasted until 120K but ended up on the side of the freeway waiting for a tow. Save up and get it changed soon as you can. Stealership charges an arm and a leg for the service. Went to a reputable mechanic and got it done for $120

1 - 15 of 15 Posts