TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any good reason to not buy a mini as a new trail rig and winter vehicle for the lady/me? (and she takes the 4Runner)

Found a few 84/85's in the 2-3k range that are in decent shape just cruising the forums and Craigslist

·
1,860 Posts
84-85 woohoo....but dont count out 86-88 just because it is ifs......

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Five lug instead of six. When the word "mini" comes to mind I see the small short toyotas. Are you talking about 4wd?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Five lug instead of six. When the word "mini" comes to mind I see the small short toyotas. Are you talking about 4wd?
Yeah only 4wd second gen pickup or first gen 4runner. If I can find a smokin deal on a 86-up then I would go that direction too. I'm going to try to be patient with cash in hand and hopefully score a deal when one pops up

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
That's cool! '86 & up all you'll get is ifs. Is that a factor?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I made the switch from a tacoma to an (built) 85 pickup and love it.....but only because i have a tow rig.

Driving these trucks on the street blows....they are small, cramped, slow, ect.....and frankly unless you are gonna get a solid axle version and build it to at least locked, armored, 35's, duals, ect, ect you are not gonna gain any off road ability over your 4 runner in exchange for the hit you take in on road drive ability.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made the switch from a tacoma to an (built) 85 pickup and love it.....but only because i have a tow rig.

Driving these trucks on the street blows....they are small, cramped, slow, ect.....and frankly unless you are gonna get a solid axle version and build it to at least locked, armored, 35's, duals, ect, ect you are not gonna gain any off road ability over your 4 runner in exchange for the hit you take in on road drive ability.
I'll still use the 4runner as my dd for the most part and drive the truck during the winter months while the lady's miata is parked. It helps my commute to work is less than a mile too.

I really like the idea of a trail rig that doesn't have the amount of glass that I do now too. Especially the cargo area glass is a constant target for trees it seems.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
What i meant was getting to and from wheeling areas....you are not gonna get on the highway with a older truck, set the cruise, flip the air on and ride in comfort to the trail like you do with your 4runner.

·
1,860 Posts
Why not? My 88 runner was my d.d. , rode fine, had cruise, wheeled, and drove home...ok, so it didnt have 37s on it, it was ifs, and rolled on 33s, but with the rear locked it did me just fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What i meant was getting to and from wheeling areas....you are not gonna get on the highway with a older truck, set the cruise, flip the air on and ride in comfort to the trail like you do with your 4runner.
The 4runner really isn't all that great on the highway right now. No castor makes it wander quite a bit and the cruise is useless with 33's. It does run 70-75 okay and I do have functioning AC if its less than 85 out :cool:

Why not? My 88 runner was my d.d. , rode fine, had cruise, wheeled, and drove home...ok, so it didnt have 37s on it, it was ifs, and rolled on 33s, but with the rear locked it did me just fine.
I just want to keep it on 33's or 35's max, put gears in it and lock up the back. Nothing over the top. I know it's not going to drive wonderfully or win any races but as long as it gets me through the snow and can run 65 on the interstate I'll be satisfied.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I mainly lurk over here but I do have alot of knowledge with 1st gen 4runners. If you are considering a mini with IFS I would suggest you hold out for one with a V6. That way its an easy upgrade to the 3.4. The 3.4 swap is pretty simple and straight forward. If it has a 5 speed, its practically a bolt in upgrade. I use to have an 88 with the 3.4 mated with the stock 340h. I had 35in trxus mts with 4.10s and it did quite well on the highway and on the trail. I could run 75mph with ease.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Watch for frame rust. Both bears kid and I know what its like to get a rusted truck.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts