TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying my first toyota in the next couple of months. I want a v6, extra cab, auto or 5spd. I'm looking around 94-96. Is there a big difference between the 3.0 and the 3.4. is the any major pluses with the tacoma over the truck. and what areas should I be looking at, in the truck. thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
van-city said:
I plan on buying my first toyota in the next couple of months. I want a v6, extra cab, auto or 5spd. I'm looking around 94-96. Is there a big difference between the 3.0 and the 3.4. is the any major pluses with the tacoma over the truck. and what areas should I be looking at, in the truck. thanks for your help
What up Vancouver. The Tacoma is definitely a more refined vehicle, and the 3.4 has proven to be reliable, and isn't exactly a slouch. The Taco came online in '95 as a 95.5 model. I'm not sure what the aftermarket support is like for pre-Taco trucks, but the Tacoma has gobs of aftermarket goodies for you to blow your pay cheque on.

Anytime I buy a used vehicle, I always ask the seller if I can take it somewhere for an inspection, engine compression test, etc... If they're up front they shouldn't have a problem with you doing this.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
would anyone buy a used 4by from me?

get as low mileage rig as possible.:explode: besides all the normal checks a used rig would get,get underneath and look for gouges in the skidplate and a-arms.
try to get service records too.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
mudferret said:
What up Vancouver. The Tacoma is definitely a more refined vehicle, and the 3.4 has proven to be reliable, and isn't exactly a slouch. The Taco came online in '95 as a 95.5 model. I'm not sure what the aftermarket support is like for pre-Taco trucks, but the Tacoma has gobs of aftermarket goodies for you to blow your pay cheque on.

Anytime I buy a used vehicle, I always ask the seller if I can take it somewhere for an inspection, engine compression test, etc... If they're up front they shouldn't have a problem with you doing this.
What is a senior member?

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
SteveO said:
Huge difference between the two trucks, especially the engine. If you have the cash get the Tacoma.
This post contains no useful content is intended solely to pad my post count HOWEVER it may not be copied, reproduced or changed in any way without the express written consent of my wife.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
post whore

ecar95 said:
This post contains no useful content is intended solely to pad my post count HOWEVER it may not be copied, reproduced or changed in any way without the express written consent of my wife.
LOL!!!!! What about your gf? Can she sign off on something such as this, hahaha jk!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
get a tacoma

van-city said:
The 3.0 has headgasket issues. The 5spds are pretty much the same, R150. The auto on the 3.0 SUX dick, b/c the t-case can't seperate from the trans, it's all 1 bigass unit. So no t-case options what so ever unless you swap in a Tacoma auto. 3.4 has good power, I'd get an auto, just b/c I'm tired of a 5spd, but if you want a 5spd, just make sure it's in good working order, same w/ the auto. Don't buy anything already lifted. More than likely you'll run into problems you don't want. The aftermarket options for the 3.0 are just as vast as the Tacoma's, just shitty in the power area! Good luck, Wes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wslytoy said:
I'd get an auto, just b/c I'm tired of a 5spd
That was my thoughts exactly, I'm sick and tired of shifting gears.

thanks for the help, I always wanted a taco, now i have the assurance, that it's a superior truck. luckily I have some time to look to find the right one, cause there aren't too many for sale up here. I have found a few brought up from the states, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Is there any other specific problems I should keep an eye out for, by what miles/kms should the timing chain be done by on the 3.4?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ecar95 said:
Hey Bill, no whoring allowed on the forum, it's strictly against the rules.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
SteveO said:
Hey Bill, no whoring allowed on the forum, it's strictly against the rules.
I am so "well liked" that I have special privelages. Plus its minus 30 here and we already have 2-3 ft of snow on the ground so they feel sorry for me (I'm "weather challenged"). BTW Steve its almost Christmas and the leafs are yet to lose a single game.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Good news about your Leafs but so far the Flames are undefeated and I doubt you'll find a better record in the league right now. Is it really -30 there? We've had a mild winter so far, hardly any snow and its around -10 or so here.

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
SteveO said:
Good news about your Leafs but so far the Flames are undefeated and I doubt you'll find a better record in the league right now. Is it really -30 there? We've had a mild winter so far, hardly any snow and its around -10 or so here.
Damn straight, its minus 30 without the wind chill factor and my Taco and Sienna both started without being plugged in.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ecar95 said:
Damn straight, its minus 30 without the wind chill factor and my Taco and Sienna both started without being plugged in.
That's lovely weather, I just heard on the radio that there's a nasty blizzard rolling in later today. Hopefully will dump a bunch of snow so wheeling on Boxing day is a little more interesting. Have a good Christmas. .....Steve

·
NEVER SERIOUS
363 Posts
SteveO said:
That's lovely weather, I just heard on the radio that there's a nasty blizzard rolling in later today. Hopefully will dump a bunch of snow so wheeling on Boxing day is a little more interesting. Have a good Christmas. .....Steve
Merry HO HO to you and your family. Happy new year to boot AND may all your ups and downs be in bed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
8 Participants
ecar95
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing