TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there peoples;
I'm beginning tire research again and am completely disgusted with the results so far. I've been quoted ridiculous prices by the major tire installers plus $12 per tire installation. I'm ferking offended. So what are my options for tires?

--Tire Rack sells the tires cheapest I've found, even with $100 shipping factored in. I may be able to m&b them for a case of beer at a shop I know.
--Big-O and Discount are within pennies of each other, highly overpriced, with $12 per tire install fee and attempting to justify the price with lifetime balancing and flat repairs. Unacceptable
-Sam's Club...haven't pursued this option yet. Worth looking into?
-Local independent tire shop: offered me LIST PRICE AND $12 each installed...fucking ridiculous!

So, have I missed any sources? Where has everybody else been able to beat the racket?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Linked in from the main page.... in my area, you can't get much better than Sam's Club or Costco. They do a good install too.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
first off.....buying tires sucks balls....second, theres no way to really beat the racket.

if you skimp in one place, itll bite ya in another. what tires are you looking for? it sounds like you picked but are trying to find a place to buy.

here's my experience: i bought bfg m/t's at america's tire (discount tire elsewhere) with the no hassle warranty. at time of purchase, it was the lowest price i found anywhere (save for Tire Rack online). I paid $770 for 4 265/75/16's on stock rims. this was in Jan 2003. I have trashed at least 8 tires on trails and road debris since. it takes less than a half hour to drop off my truck, get a new tire, and be on my way. the replacement tire is free, and i pay for a new warranty* plus stem/valve. maybe $34. so in the last 4&half years, ive gotten a lot for a little. and these tires werent trashed cuz they were cheap quality, i wheel hard. to me...the convenience, customer service, and peace of mind is worth the extra couple bucks i may pay over the internet prices.

*im curious why i have to buy an individual warranty for each tire...what if i only buy two warranties? do they know which tires its good for?

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Discount Tire, plus their roadhazard is unbeatable (and I recommend getting roadhazard for the way we use our trucks!)

If you can get the M&B done for free/cheap though, TireRack is gonna be hard to beat ...

For the balancing, look at using sticky weights instead of rim weights. Rim weights just get torn off 'wheeling!

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Yeah next time I get tires I am doing Discount for the warrany As I have already gone through 2 of mine! Oh and sticky weights ROCK!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I bought mine from Big O in Louisville a couple months ago, and the price was within $10 of Tire Rack's for a set of 4 BFG's. I had to pay the extra $50 to mount and balance, but it was the best price I found locally, and the guys in there are pretty cool.

In the past I had always gone to Discount tire, and probably went to Big O this time because it was more convenient. But I'll definitely go back again. They also offer the lifetime replacement warranty for extra $$.

Did you ask for a quote on paper? If you do that, they know that you are shopping around and they should offer you the best price they can. At least that was my experience.

- matt

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jacket, I think you're right. What I'm looking for is the best deal they can offer. When I stay in a hotel (at least a couple times a week for work) they always give me their shittiest price first, then I talk them down by 20, 30 bucks depending on the confidence of the employee behind the counter. So I think you're right. If I get the quote in writing it will tend to be more competitive. They tend to give you the most profitable (list) price at first, especially if you call on the phone.
It's all a fucking game man.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I get all my tires at Rex Tire in Colorado Springs. These guys are local, reliable, family owned business that call their regular customers by first name when they walk in the door.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Craigslist. You can find like new tires for half price. :saw:
and sometimes, if you're selling tires, you will find people to buy them who actually bring money to the meet, right? :rofl:

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
and sometimes, if you're selling tires, you will find people to buy them who actually bring money to the meet, right? :rofl:
Now that was just wrong. Friggen dicks couldn't come up with $35.:bitchslap

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Holy shite, 4wheelonline has "buy 3 get 1 free" on all ProComps!

**edit** But it's all such a scam. "Buy 3 get one" is only $15 bucks cheaper than paying full price for 4 at 4Wheel Hardware. These bastards are so slippery with the numbers!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Holy shite, 4wheelonline has "buy 3 get 1 free" on all ProComps!

**edit** But it's all such a scam. "Buy 3 get one" is only $15 bucks cheaper than paying full price for 4 at 4Wheel Hardware. These bastards are so slippery with the numbers!
Yup, it's all about timing. If you're lucky you can catch one of them on free shipping day :D

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm still debating on size and brand anyway. just a pipe dream at this point. The problem is that I actually have the money to spend.....
How 'bout I hijack my own thread here:
Lookin for a roughly 33" tire to put on my stock rims, without rubbing. I have 4.75" lift overall, plenty of wheelwell. I'm afraid the 255/85-16 will be too tall (Expeditions West runs 'em on their DC and says it's 1.3" taller than a 285/75-16) and narrow. It's roughly a 33.3x10.5 Being that much taller, I'm concerned with the possible need to regear as well.
But I'm concerned the 285/75-16 will be too wide. It's roughly 33x11.5.
Both of those tire sizes may rub on the frame with the stock wheels' backspacing.
I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm still debating on size and brand anyway. just a pipe dream at this point. The problem is that I actually have the money to spend.....
Lookin for a roughly 33" tire to put on my stock rims, without rubbing. I have 4.75" lift overall, plenty of wheelwell. I'm afraid the 255/85-16 will be too tall (Expeditions West runs 'em on their DC and says it's 1.3" taller than a 285/75-16) and narrow. It's roughly a 33.3x10.5 Being that much taller, I'm concerned with the possible need to regear as well.
Both of those tire sizes may rub on the frame with the stock wheels' backspacing.
I'm open to suggestions!
Yea - there's a couple of guys on ExPo running 255/85 on the previous gen Tacoma - flyingwil has them as well I think. Seems doable, especially with almost 5" of lift.

I've got 285/75/16 BFG's, which as you say are about 32.8x11.5 - a bit smaller in diameter compared with the 255/85. I'd be happy to help you with a "test fit", but I'm not running stock rims (for the same reasons/concerns about rubbing). My rims are 16x8 with 4.5" of BS, and keep the tire clear of the UCA on my gen truck. I still rub the fender plastic, even though I've trimmed quite a bit. Once I get a new bumper I should be in much better shape.

I've also got a complete 2nd set of used, unmounted BFG KO's in my garage - 285/75/16. I plan on mounting 1 on my spare steelie this week, and Prodigy has dibs on one for a spare, but the other 2 are just sitting unmounted. So if you wanted to try something out in the 285 size, and had a means to get these mounted temporarily for a test fit, let me know and we can try and work something out.

- matt

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
That 1" more width causes FAR more problems than the 1" of diameter, and there's no benefit to it, where the larger diamater keeps your diffs out of the rocks.

Go with the 255/85 on your stock rims, save a ton of money by not having to buy new rims (285 you should really have 8" rims).

Is your Tacoma, white a V6 or 4cyl?

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm open to suggestions!
I'm running the 255/85R16's on my FJ with 2.5" lift with a little rub on the body mount. No problem with the gearing, but I'm up to the 4.0 liter V6. I love the narrow tire patch for maneuverability, traction and less gas-guzzling friction. The ride is also much better with the stiffer suspension (OME 886/896) :2cents:

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Is your Tacoma, white a V6 or 4cyl?
Troy, Jeremeys truck is a 3.4 V6 TRD 5speed.

My brother had 285's on his Dcab before he got rid of it on stock rims with 2.5-2.75" of lift with coilovers. He rubed his arms some and his frame. I think it may have rubbed a bit of his inner fender on flexing also. Dont recall.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts