TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**if you dont want to read the whole story, just tell me what you know about 96 Tacomas (things that someone would want to know and what to look for/do if they are buying one) and how long they last and how expensive it is to keep up maintence on them. i am looking at buying a $3000 one with 200k miles. i hope the opions wont be too biased on here**

i have been looking for a truck for $4000 or less. this will be my first vehicle (im 21 though). i decided on a truck because i could definitly use the bed and i just want one cause theres not a single car i'd like for that price. heres a picture...

ive been told/read that Tacomas last forever, and to stay away from Ford. so i searched my area for a Tacoma and found one for $3000 (the only one). its a 96 V6 5spd 4x4 with 200k. the guy put a 3" lift on it and tires.

i went to look at it the other day. when i drove it the engine felt smooth. it idled normal and everything else seemed ok. this was actually the first Tacoma ive driven so i didnt have anything to compare it to, but i can usually tell an engine that definitly needs work. the transmission was smooth as well, and the clutch didnt need to be replaced.

heres the downside. the truck was very dirty inside. there was some mud on the inside of the doors, the floor was dirty, the seats were dirty/ripped, and it smelled like cigarette smoke (i dont smoke). there was also dirt/mud underneath the truck. none of the mud was the cakey kind though, if you know what i mean. he doesnt have a starter in it (for the key). i mean the key part is hanging loose by the wires and doesnt have the bracket it sits in. something like that. he said you can start it without the key but when he started it he put the key in to start it, then he took the key out and it was still running. he said i could get one for like $60. he also said it probably needs new tires. i think he has M/T's on it, but i would just replace them with A/T's if i had to.

so im really jsut worried about how the truck has been offroaded. the dirt part i am willing to clean up. ive read tacomas last forever, this one has 200k on it.

my dad is also going to help me buy a vehicle, so he is going to have to look at it too. i might need some help convincing him if i decide i want it since its so dirty.

anyways, im also kinda wondering if anyone here knows if it'd be worth it to get this truck over any car i can get for the same price (looking at reliability).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If that is a regular cab V6 then you have a rare find. Not many of those were made and I believe they were only made from 95.5-97. 200k is a lot of miles but then again with proper maintenance you can run them for far more than that. I am surprised the guy would show you the truck in such a dirty fashion but as long as the drivetrain, frame, and engine are sound the body looks pretty good. Where is this located because that could give some indication of how hard a life that thing has had.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Did he give a reason for the ignition missing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did he give a reason for the ignition missing?
no, he just said he took it out? he said he bought the truck from his friend.

even if its rare, im still skeptical to buy.

someone else made a good point and said its weird he would try to sell it so dirty like that. he also said its weird that nobody bought it yet at a price like that (its been listed for over a month now).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Where is it listed? Also, does he have a title? Could be stolen..... "he just said he took it out" is not a reason.... its a strange excuse.

Contact the Local PD and see if a truck that matches the description has been stolen. I had a buddy that had his car stolen and they caught the guy with the ignition trying to get a key made to match the ignition he brought into the store....

Do all the other electronics work, sounds like he might have tried to fix something behind the dash and probably just screwed stuff up!

I think I would pass on this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where is it listed? Also, does he have a title? Could be stolen..... "he just said he took it out" is not a reason.... its a strange excuse.

Contact the Local PD and see if a truck that matches the description has been stolen. I had a buddy that had his car stolen and they caught the guy with the ignition trying to get a key made to match the ignition he brought into the store....

Do all the other electronics work, sounds like he might have tried to fix something behind the dash and probably just screwed stuff up!

I think I would pass on this one.
well, i didnt ask him why he didnt have the starter thing. he just said "this is how you have to start it cause i took it out".

i didnt bother checking all the electronic stuff yet (since i would have had to come back with my dad for him to look at it).

i dont think its stolen. i mean it could be, but its been listed online for over a month now.

ive pretty much decided to pass this up though. i really wanted to make it work since its a good price, but its that price for a reason.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Based on your description of the truck I would assume that it was not very well maintained mechanically. Assuming this is true I would walk away, that's allot of miles for a truck that might not have been taken care of. Be patient and keep looking.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yea, I'd save yer money & get something that's less trashed with less miles on it.... Keep looking, it be worth it... just my 2cents though....

·
Registered
908 Posts
I don't know
If it's legal...offer 2k ....fix the ign issues you can always drop another engine in for a grand If it dies......
vehix history report

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe the truck is a theft recovery? That could explain the key. It does seem like he is hiding something, why else would he do this?
I would be cautious of this.

·
Registered
358 Posts
CARFAX.COM

spend the few dollars or whatever and get its history, definatly would suck finding out the truck you bought was stolen after it was purchased. kinda odd that is soo inexpensive, even beaters are more than what he is asking

1 - 11 of 11 Posts