TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I was just wondering if anyone here worked on or uses products that rely of the C-band of the electromagnetic spectrum. The C-Band spans from 4-8GHz, and 5.725-5.875 is reserved for ISM use. C-Band satellite downlink uses 3.7-4.2GHz, weather radar uses 5.25-5.925GHz, and satellite uplink is from 5.925-6.425GHz. If you guys know of any good articles that mention how those frequencies are used, that would be much appriciated!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
alright well i finished writing my paper. A link to it can be found at http://www.duke.edu/~jyw2/spectrum.html and there is also a PDF included.

A link to the other projects that i have or am working on can be found at http://www.duke.edu/~jyw2 for all those who are interested!

Any suggestions/corrections are much appriciated!!

·
Wheeler Wannabe
1,306 Posts
Also, some newer cordless phones are in that frequency range (5.8ghz) to basically avoid interference with wireless devices, etc, and although many people assume this will give them more range, it's actually just the opposite (although clarity should be improved). And I believe they transmit and recieve not at a true 5.8ghz, but a combined 2.4/5.8ghz correct? In actuallity, if you're going to use your phone far away from your reciever it's ideal to stay with a nice 900 or 2.4ghz set. Longer the wavelength, the greater the range as a general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my paper! I greatly appriciate your comments and feedback. Unfortunately, I had to keep the paper as short as possible, which doesn't allow me to go in depth and explain everything. I picked this topic because it interested me, however it wasn't covered in my low level Computer Science course, and the professor doesn't have any electrical engineering background to my knowledge, but i HOPE he will understand.

I know very little about cordless phones and wasn't aware of the fact that some are capable of using different frequencies. The 2.4 GHz ISM band is very crowded, so making the transission over to the 5.8 GHz ISM band makes sense, but as you pointed out, range will decrease. Cordless phones should be able to operate without any problems on the 900 MHz ISM frequency due to the fact that normal speech spans a very small frequency, (actually 600 Hz - 4KHz to be "exact", whereas the average human ear can hear between 20-20KHz according to the people at Cornell http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/studentdownloads/DEA350notes/Acoustics/Acoustics1.html)

Interesting enough, this is the reason why we have DSL services! DSL just uses the standard copper phone line coming into your house, but uses a higher frequency on the wire in order to prevent interference with your voice communications!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
white_eskimo
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing