TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I had heard a lot about ttora and finally signed up. Been enjoying the for sale section. Got into wheeling while I was at school in Farmington NM with my stock 94 truck, loved it!, and have since made some changes. Since then I've added a rear e-locker 4.56, bumpers, sliders and a winch along with a drivetrain/body lift on 33s. Its been a blast wheeling around the trails and getting to see stuff few people get to enjoy. Up coming mods are a front arb, duals and budbuilb armor. I just need to go wheeling more than I do! Work- killin all my time.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Welcome to the area, get ready for some snow this weekend. If you're feeling adventurous, there's money to be made pulling out stuck people.

So you're selling the red truck to build another truck? Any plans for a fancy rear bumper to match the fancy front bumper?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed an addicted offroad type bumper a while now I'm looking at putting a rear winch where my spare tire is. Have you got any advice on a rear winch?

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Good advice or bad advice? :D

Rear winch... Hmmm, most of the time I see guys running receiver mounted winches for that. That way, they can switch the winch front/back as needed, but then you'd need to run wiring front/back also and make sure the mounting point is strong enough to pull from. I haven't heard good/bad about this setup and I haven't done anything like it.

Or are you thinking about having 2 separate winches?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Winch advice-

Get it up high with the trailgear mount / or tuck it under like goldfingers rig . Look at the past events . He has a sweet setup .

Most of us have the trailgear winch plate .

Get some bigger tires and some gears / lockers and lets go wheelin!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wakkjobb, I'll have to check out his rig. I have a front winch already and was thinkin it would be slick to tuck it under the bed and just run the wiring. My only problem is that I dont know how to weld... yet.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Truer words have never been spoken. :eek:

I'll teach anyone to weld; taught my wife to weld along with several friends. And plasma cutting too. If you want to pick up steel, check into Glaser Steel on 31st street off of Hwy 24. Way low prices and they're really nice people to deal with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know of Glaser, great people there. I also know how good beer is! Certainly interested in learning to weld. My front bumper needs some reinforcement too. I don't feel very comfortable winching with it being only held in place by 4 bolts.
Wakkjobb if you need some beer/cash anytime let me know, I'd love to learn

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I'm taking this Thurs/Friday off, so those are open as of now; along with Saturday and most of Sunday.

:welder:

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
No.

Know what I did today? "Operation Smoke Screen"; as in:

Fancy management-type people are coming by Thursday (half of why I'm not going in) and these folks are looking for a place to have their cars worked on. I cleaned my shop like crazy, stuffed cars inside to make it "look busy" and did some donuts in an MX-5.

Smoke and mirrors...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
turns out I wont be able to enjoy a welding lesson quite yet. I started to install my duals and ran into some problems. Its nice having the drive train lift for the flat belly but when I tried to install the budbuilt crossmember it didn't fit! Not too worried though I know the people at budbuilt are solid. So now I wait for my driveshafts to be lengthened and drive something else.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Can I say something stupid here? Have you tried putting the skid on the other way?

As in "it may be backards?" :confused:

edit: wait, you had a flat belly, but now w/ duals... so the skid drops non-flat? Hm... that may take some finagling to make it work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its not stupid at all, I tried it both ways. the way it sits now, the mounts are off. If I flip it around the mounts are off and it contacts the exhaust which I'll probably have to modify to get the skid plate to work.

it was close to a flat belly. Getting flater with the budbuilt. I'll have to post a build thread someday.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts