TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
hey dennis, i was looking through your website and stumbled on the afton canyon folder. where is this buried rail car? i've been to the area a couple of times but never seen it.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like a cool trip, I recognize most of those areas but where you at when you took the pics of the scale thing?
That is the truck scale at the cinder mine. The Cima Dome trail goes right next to the mine. It was nice out that way. Good weather!!!

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey dennis, i was looking through your website and stumbled on the afton canyon folder. where is this buried rail car? i've been to the area a couple of times but never seen it.
It is harder to find now because the sand has gotten into it and over it. It is not too far after you enter the wash going south and on the right but before Spooky Canyon. There is a large bush there that marks it near the tracks. The wheels and stuff are buried now. I’d looked for it before and not found it but got lucky on the way back from Las Vegas just messing around, there it was.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool, is there a story behind how it got there?
Not that I know of. It is one of those mysteries. My guess it is derailed and then soon after the river came up and “sanded” it into place. I have heard the wheels and axils were ‘stolen’ in about 2000 and an attempt to dig out the car even made. But, there it is, now just a few panels of the roof show. One of those is rusted through, letting the interior get muddy.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ive always driven right by the Cima Dome, I guess now I will have to stop and check it out. Thanks.
The Cima Dome itself is so huge, you’ll not even really notice it unless you get away from it and look back. It is 10 miles across and the Cima Grade is the reason for Kelso. It housed the helper engines to assist trains over the grade and to get them watered up before they tired. Kelso Depot fed the folks on the trains as well, plus train crews slept there.

The Cima Dome Trail is really easy but you skirt the north slope of the dome, pass through some ranch country and then to the lava flows and cinder domes. So, the scenery changes a lot as you go. Well worth the trip if you are out that way messing around, exploring mines and stuff.

Fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts