TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the laws for CA foglights on Headache racks. I've heard you have to keep the caps on, while on the roads. Is this true? I've searched I just can't find anything

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What are the laws for CA foglights on Headache racks. I've heard you have to keep the caps on, while on the roads. Is this true? I've searched I just can't find anything
The law states that you can only run two sets of lights at any given time IE; lowbeam and fogs, or high beam and driving lights. If you have a third set of lights, they must remain covered when not in use. If the truck has factory fogs and you install a second set, you can not run them at the same time as the factory fogs. If you mount lights on the roll bar, you will most likely get a ticket if they are not covered. Got this info recently when I was pulled over for running 2 sets of fogs at the same time. I have a second set of PIAA's behind my lower grill.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You guys seem to have a lot of wack laws there.
WTF is the difference if your not using them, and they aren't covered.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You guys seem to have a lot of wack laws there.
Tell me about it! Growing up in California, and working for fire and police, I became quite familiar with the California Vehicle Code (CVC). I thought everywhere was like CA. Then I moved to Florida, and everything was weird to me. Like, in CA, CVC defines your hazard lights, right down to the flash pattern (must flash simultaneously on both sides of the front utilizing your white or amber turn signals, and simultaneously on both sides of the rear utilizing your amber or red turn signals). In FL, you're lucky if you can find anything in the Florida Statues that even mention hazard lights!

In the end, I think everyone is just too sue-happy, so EVERYTHING is CYA, right down to the vehicle code.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well Cali also elected the Arnold as there governor so that might help you understand there law making there.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well Cali also elected the Arnold as there governor so that might help you understand there law making there.
FUNNY...those laws were already in existance long before the Govern-ator was elected. Now maybe if the fine folks of Flor-i-duh would learn how to use a voting machine, you guys would have room to talk shit:) I'll be back

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Good info Showstop.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I just removed my covers a few weeks ago. I guess I better put'em back on..

Also, what about the lights with clear covers? ProComp has those new 9" lights and they come with clear covers. Those are some hot looking lights, IMO.

Some of these codes seem to contradiction others

Section - Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps states:
"24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches"

Section - Auxiliary Lamps: Off-Highway Use states:Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway.

Is the a real distinction between Auxiliary Driving and Auxiliary Lamps?

·
Registered
636 Posts
After reading this a few times, I guess the deal is if you're using them on the street they are driving lights, if you're using them off road they are "Auxiliary Lamps: Off-Highway Use".

Hmm... I know a good Attorney, I will ask her to try and clarify this for me.

Section - Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps states:
"24402. (a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than 16 inches nor more than 42 inches"

Section - Auxiliary Lamps: Off-Highway Use states:Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Auxiliary Driving and Passing Lamps can be the same thing as your off-road lamps, as long as they're mounted between 16 and 42 inches high on the front of the vehicle (as described here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24402.htm).

Auxiliary Lamps can be mounted anywhere described here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24411.htm. You can't have more than 8 aux lamps.

As that last link states, per CVC Section 24411, "whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off." So, that answers your question about the clear covers.

Horray, California.

-Radar

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yes there is a difference.... one states off road......

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Auxiliary Lamps: Off-Highway Use
24411. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle may be equipped with not more than eight lamps for use as headlamps while the vehicle is operated or driven off the highway. The lamps shall be mounted at a height of not less than 16 inches from the ground, or more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, at any place between the front of the vehicle and a line lying on a point 40 inches to the rear of the seat occupied by the driver, shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits, and, whenever the vehicle is operated or driven upon a highway, shall be covered or hooded with an opaque hood or cover, and turned off.

Amended Ch. 149, Stats. 1986. Effective January 1, 1987.

So much for my reverse lights on the roof rack being legal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts