TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what a good CAD software program is for designing a suspension system? I planning on building a 3-link on an 05 Tacoma and was wondering what techniques others have used to do this. Any examples would be appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have experience with AutoCAD, Inventor, and SolidEdge. All are easy. all are pricey unless you can find them online some where. (isn't that hard...)

Sketch-up is a free 3d program available online.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I've been using AutoCad for a few years now with work and just for fun. It's easy to use, and you can do practically anything with it. but it does get pricey unless you can find a ways to get it online

·
Registered
532 Posts
there are free alternatives out there. i cant think of any at the moment but just surf the cad and engineering boards and you are bound to find one.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
well solid works would be a good one for the modeling - easy to learn and good motion capabilities but expensive. There are dedicated cad programs made for suspension design I'm just not familiar with them. Here are a couple of pics from Pro-E when I was mocking up a 4-link for my truck

·
Registered
53 Posts
you can get a 30-day trial version from www.autodesk.com for Autocad 2007, or 2008...whichever one they are offering the free trial too. But sketchup is another good program for just some light cad stuff. AutoCad offers 3d modeling also, however Inventor, solidworks or Pro-E may be a better choice. If you just want something free, you could use sketcup, and if you think you can have it done in under 30 days, you can do the autocad free trial. And like Ryanstoy said, you can find the CAD programs for free if you look for them, however, I am not going to suggest it or not suggest it, because that is your risk to take. When you get done post some screen shots for us to check out! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Looks pretty fishey to me. Sounds to good to be true, no street address, no contact phone numbers and just look at the English usage "We happy to", "You have bad download your order", "SolidWorks 2006 Adds" adds?. WTF .ws is Samoa. LOL

It's just screaming " BUYER BEWARE" so what do you think?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't recommend it at all. The real versions retail for several thousand dollars, why would someone sell the copies for under a hundred dollars? Im sure it's a scam. If your not worried about getting caught or anything you could probably try limewire or torrents.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
i use solid works.. never done any thing for a car before but i know u can

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
What's so wrong with a pencil and some paper?
If it's a one time thing, then pencil and paper is sufficent but if you're gonna do this on a regular for a living then get a CAD program.
A CAD program is no substitute for understanding the problems or the engineering involved. They are aids to executing a design that you already understand, mostly the drawing involved and communicating part designs to someone else doing the fab work. Computer AIDED Design.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Auto Cad is a good one...very easy. I have solid works 2004 now and it's a bit harder to use.

·
Registered
324 Posts
autoCAD is fun to use but if you are serious then catia is the way to go. thats why toyota, honda and suppliers for the like use it.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
pencil and paper - sucks
I tried doing my 4-link design with graph paper at first and it was a real PITA
Tweaking length and angles to dial things in is alot easier in CAD not that one can't do it on paper it's just alot more work

·
Registered
306 Posts
SOLIDWORKS!!!

I have taken three engineering design and graphics courses here at Texas A&M on different CAD programs and in my mind there is nothing better in 3D than solidworks. AutoCAD's 3D side is just an add-on to the 2D sketches and is just a little off in my opinion but in SolidWorks you start the whole design from a 3D stand point. And I think that is very important, plus you can see how it all works together if you do an assembly with your parts! :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I'm an AutoCAD and PDMS designer/drafter. I used it to design my trailer, new workshop, deer stands, etc.. I downloaded the full version of AutoCAD 2005 for my house a couple years ago. I thought about downloading AutoCAD 2006 but there arn't enough changes to worry about, plus my work uses 2004. I went to Bearshare.com. It took me a few downloads to find the full version with all the codes. I think the one I ended up getting took 8-10 hours to download with roadrunner. I burt everything onto a cd and gave it to a few guys here at work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^^AutoCAD 2004 is ok but Personally, I think the best one is AUTOCAD 2006... The 3d modeling in the newest versions (2007, 2008), I think, SUCKS compared to 2006

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.