TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive been going to the gym and i wanted to make my calfs a little bigger, like have the bikers calf where it splits in two. but whenever i do the machine for the calfs, (theres only 1), i dont feel any soreness after. usually when i lift with my other muscles they get sore, and eventually hard to do. i dont have small calfs buit i want the bikers calf.

how would i gain more calf muscle? I bike 10 miles each time i go to the gym and on mondays and wensdays i work on my legs.

another question. how much can you guys leg press, cuse i max out at 350, but one of my friends says some kid on the wrestiling team can do 620?

·
Registered
672 Posts
They are hard to build. I have heard that they are genetic... have also heard that the way they are built is to provide high endurance... so unless if you are working the heck out of them 3x a week for a long period of time you aren't really going to get any results. If your gym only has one calf machine, switch gyms.

·
Registered
56 Posts
run at least 3 miles a day 3x a week you'll see deffinition in a month or so

note i am not a professional this is just my work out and it works for me.....

·
Registered
764 Posts
the only way ive ever seen anyone improve their calves is by working on the calf machine 3 times a week for a long long time each workout. they work on the machine until their calves are burning so bad they cant take it anymore, and then they go for another minute. i bet you'll feel it if you do that 3 times a week.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thats pretty much what I have seen also. If you can walk easily after your calf workout... try harder, longer.

·
<null>
1,805 Posts
calf machine twice a week, 8 sets of 10 reps, heavy weight and focus on the negative. Also log a lot of time on the stairstepper.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
exacto said:
i want the bikers calf.I bike 10 miles each time i go to the gym
Become a biker!

Take the long way, get more than 10 miles in. Also, you'll need toe clips or clipless pedals so you can pedal in "a circle" instead of just up and down. Basically, as the pedal comes on the downstroke, you push down with your toes coming across the bottom of the circle, then pulling up with your toes along the upstroke and kicking over the top. With a little practice, you'll notice a dramatic improvement in your cycling efficiency and a good calf workout.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i play lacrosse and that is a lot,i mean a lot of running, in lots of gear, and i ride bmx alot, but unfortantly i couldnt do either becuase i broke my jaw and now i have to start from scratch.

but yes i usually do the stair master when i do "leg days", and i do sets of 10 for 20 minuets, but ill try tommorow until the burn.

thanks
-david

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Honestly building your calfs up is the hardest park of your body to build. I used to work out 4 or 5 times a week, ride a bike pretty hard a couple times a week, and really hard on the weekends. My calfs look like a 14 year old's. Im 25 now, I play hockey 3 or 4 times a week and work out 3 or 4 times a week. I still look like a look boy from the knees down. I have taken creatine, tried overloaded protein, using gutamine, and always took vitamines. The rest of me grows alot, while my legs stay tiny.

I got sick for a couple months and went down to about 175 pounds, but after eating good again and working out, I was up to 190, but my calfs still looked weak as hell. I dont even bother hoping they respond anymore!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
*Also, calfs are like abs muscles. They are designed to always be semi-flexed to help stabilize your posture. Many muscle builders think that they can be worked more often than your other muscles because thats what they are designed to do. It also means they are way harder to tear down/rebuild.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NorcalPR said:
Are you sure your technique on the machine is correct?
im preety sure i am, it the one where you stand with the pad on your shoulders and you arch your back a little and square your shoulders and only use you calfs not your knees to push up

and yeah, ive seen a buch of huge guys and smaller legs than me, kinda weird because you think they would be big becuase we use them all the time?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
HEAVY weights is key to calf muscle development. You have to work your calves EXTREMELY hard and QUITE frequently in order to see big gains. Are you on anything currently??? Protein, creatine, any kind of weightloss pills, steroids?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wslytoy said:
HEAVY weights is key to calf muscle development. You have to work your calves EXTREMELY hard and QUITE frequently in order to see big gains. Are you on anything currently??? Protein, creatine, any kind of weightloss pills, steroids?
i have these protein shakes, but i only have them becuase i coulndnt eat any meat when my jaw was wired shut, i think they are called boost.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Make sure your technique is good and add more calf workouts. You can also do calf exercises on the leg press machine. Keep your legs straight, which puts them at a different angle then the seated calf machine, use lots of weight and burn the hell out of them. HTH.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Just take your time and do it gradually. I thought my calves were in decent shape. I jumped off my trailer a few weeks ago landed a little off and strained the Gastrocnemius (the big calf mujscle) in my right leg. It sucks, i have been on crutches the last six weeks...
you should have a good head start since you are so active...

·
Registered
764 Posts
i had this short ass lady at my high school that was a girls basketball coach. she walked around on her tippy toes for a year to build up her calves so she could dunk. she failed. haha

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
exacto said:
i have these protein shakes, but i only have them becuase i coulndnt eat any meat when my jaw was wired shut, i think they are called boost.
Try Whey protien at GNC. When on sale it's like 30 bucks for a huge canister. And they come in some good flavors, doesn't taste bad at all.

I noticed a difference after using it on my workouts. I'm not as sore the next day, and the wieght that I have been lifting has risen much faster than when I did not drink it...

That's a good workout for the calfs. Not much you can do wrong, but just don't use your back or overextend. The key is to work slowly, both up and down.

And remember, don't work too hard, because you can just tear the muscle, making it grow back weaker.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
dude you need to get with the program and get calf implants.

actually when i was into biking i had that muscle thing now I'm a lazy ass but i can still rep well over 600 in plates

i have to ask, why do you care. are you into body building or something.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
elliot_irwin said:
dude you need to get with the program and get calf implants.

actually when i was into biking i had that muscle thing now I'm a lazy ass but i can still rep well over 600 in plates

i have to ask, why do you care. are you into body building or something.
no i would hate being huge,i just want a litttle deffinition no body building muscle thing going on, i just want to be stronger for lacrosse season.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts