TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to get this thread started.
What can you say about Calico except it was a Good Time For Sure. We had a good turnout with Tyler taking over trail leader duties and the rest of use right in line.
I didn't get in until Saturday morning but by 9:00 - 9:15 every one was ready to hit the trail except for one truck ( not me this time ) so we waited until about 9:30 to leave camp. Not to bad.
After passing a group of about 8-9 rigs we entered into the canyon. It didn't take long to find out we weren't the only ones in the canyon. The first obstacle proved difficult for the group ahead of us, so that was it for making any time through Odessa. By the time we got to the mid point I think there were probably close to 30 rigs stopped in the canyon ( traffic jam :eek: ).

Here are a few pics to get this thread going. Post up your pics and observations.

More pics to follow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well I was waiting for my passenger to post pics...(and he didn't obey the rules of the road!!)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
183 Posts
Time to get this thread started.

After passing a group of about 8-9 rigs we entered into the canyon. It didn't take long to find out we weren't the only ones in the canyon. The first obstacle proved difficult for the group ahead of us, so that was it for making any time through Odessa. By the time we got to the mid point I think there were probably close to 30 rigs stopped in the canyon ( traffic jam :eek: ).

More pics to follow.
There were a lot of stock rigs with The Bakersfield Trailblazers S.O.S. event, I was basically giving them a three tries and strap it approach to keep things moving since I ended up assisting them at the waterfall and squeeze. Even with that the set up Jeeps would struggle getting up the waterfall at times, most of the later rigs with some wheelbase would eventually claw there way up but there were a few CJ-5's that were well set up that just couldn't get up and even those had to take a strap. All of the Cherokee's were open except for maybe one so they were a chore. Then we had one yahoo decide to try and skinny pedal his way through the squeeze and all that did was destroy his rear u-joint. I have to say that the TTORA guys behind us pitched in, helped getting the driveshaft off and drag it up the squeeze. Awesome trail support from TTORA as usual even though they were all Jeeps except for me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Federal watch list, here I come!

·
Registered
878 Posts

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
All my pics are here: http://www.showstop.org/gallery/calico-apr15

My write-up:

We had most of the group ready to go at 9am, but somebody was running late, so we ended up rolling out of camp just before 9:30.

We headed over to Odessa Canyon and got to the trail just before a Jeep group.

We got moving up the trail only to catch up to a different Jeep group in front of us tackling the first major obstacle. They were struggling with the obstacle quite a bit, so we razed them about it. They returned the favor until our group cleared the obstacle with little issue.

Frank's version of slider surfing-

The next obstacle took a while to get to since one of the jeeps in the group ahead of us broke their driveshaft. We did have to winch one vehicle in our group, but mostly to avoid body damage.

Next obstacle up the canyon is the shelf road with the side ledge. This section is getting progressively worse as people keep trying to take the left waterfall line.

This is a large king snake about 50ft from the trail.

Here is CJ thinking he has a chance making up the waterfall with no front locker.

Major pucker spot for Leon-

A Chuckwalla snacking on some flowers-

After stopping for lunch at the top of Odessa, we headed up to the Bismarck mine and eventually down Doran. That brought us to the big waterfall obstacle first.

Right about here is where Mike became the only vehicle to get any body damage on that obstacle. He scraped his left rear quarter panel.

Later at the Doran gatekeeper, we watched a bomber chassis comp buggy playing around.

After that, it was back to camp for some shooting and a nice quiet night around the campfire. :D

Thanks to everybody that came out.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ill make it up that ledge next year for sure! :D Maybe if I do some kind of cage by then Ill have Tyler spot me up gatekeeper :eek:....... Maybe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts