TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,347 Posts
OK.. so who made it up the Falls?

I wish I could have made it!! This test I have today has killed my weekend (aside from finnaly picking up my Tundra)

THANK YOU, to everyone who went to that great event, and picking up trash.

I hope my rig is wheelable and I can make calico in april. Time will tell.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
527 Posts
The red Cali truck made it up in that group of picts... that was it.. it was too dark after Wyatt tried, everybody else bailed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
good times...

completly and utterly killed my front diff on the first obstacle on odessa, lost all front drive and had to be strapped out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Ran Odessa loop with Jeepguy, Jdblatt, MandAtaco, and Chillwilly on Sun. with no issues. Lots of fun and nice and clean trails... other than an abandoned H3 on the Odessa side of the loop with a broken tie rod and a few fresh dumps (with TP) at the "squeeze" on the Bismark Canyon side of the loop just up from the Doran Falls. What is wrong with people? Dont they, or at least someone in their group know this is totally wrong (and nasty)? If I was with someone who was going to take a shit right on the trail I would be totally pissed and never wheel with them again. At least go behind some bush/ rock off of the trail a ways and burry it properly so everyone after you doesnt have to look at your shit! What a totally trashy, lowlife, tasteless thing to do.

Thanks to everyone who picked up trash, now we just have to keep it this way. Unfortunately, over the past 30 years that Ive been going to the Calico area the shooting crowd seems to bring and leave the most trash, yet the off-roaders get blamed for it... figure that one out. At least this show that the off-road community cares about the area and wants to help keep it open. A clean up of this sort should be organized every year. Im my opinion it should be the policy of every organized trail run to pick up trash as you go.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Here our my pictures from the event.


I didn't get around to any of wheeling. But I did have a good time hanging out with the SoCal group. It was good to see all the different groups working together to make all happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,393 Posts
mojavehanna said:
Ran Odessa loop with Jeepguy, Jdblatt, MandAtaco, and Chillwilly on Sun. with no issues. Lots of fun and nice and clean trails... other than an abandoned H3 on the Odessa side of the loop with a broken tie rod and a few fresh dumps (with TP) at the "squeeze" on the Bismark Canyon side of the loop just up from the Doran Falls. What is wrong with people? Dont they, or at least someone in their group know this is totally wrong (and nasty)? If I was with someone who was going to take a shit right on the trail I would be totally pissed and never wheel with them again. At least go behind some bush/ rock off of the trail a ways and burry it properly so everyone after you doesnt have to look at your shit! What a totally trashy, lowlife, tasteless thing to do.

Thanks to everyone who picked up trash, now we just have to keep it this way. Unfortunately, over the past 30 years that Ive been going to the Calico area the shooting crowd seems to bring and leave the most trash, yet the off-roaders get blamed for it... figure that one out. At least this show that the off-road community cares about the area and wants to help keep it open. A clean up of this sort should be organized every year. Im my opinion it should be the policy of every organized trail run to pick up trash as you go.
Being a person who enjoys shooting I was shocked to see most of if not all of the trash was from shooters! We filled up the back of my truck with trash ranging from bowling balls too propane tanks.



The weekend looked to be a big success! And I think the clean up was much needed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
I know, I have been shooting most of my life. However, I was raised not to bring all of your garbage out to the desert, blast it into smithereens, then leave it with all of your beer cans, empty brass, and other garbage. Its sad, but thats the way it is for many. This gives a bad name to shooters as well... when will people learn not to shit where they eat?

I sincerely hope that the new information signs the BLM just put up dont get shot to hell in the next few years and the trash levels stay to a minimum, or else this may have been a "see we tried" tactic to give the BLM an excuse to close the area in the future if things go back to the way they were.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,393 Posts
mojavehanna said:
I know, I have been shooting most of my life. However, I was raised not to bring all of your garbage out to the desert, blast it into smithereens, then leave it with all of your beer cans, empty brass, and other garbage. Its sad, but thats the way it is for many. This gives a bad name to shooters as well... when will people learn not to shit where they eat?

I sincerely hope that the new information signs the BLM just put up dont get shot to hell in the next few years and the trash levels stay to a minimum, or else this may have been a "see we tried" tactic to give the BLM an excuse to close the area in the future if things go back to the way they were.
It's all in the education! Most people just don't know! If I had never found these boards 10 years ago I wouldn't have known. I was raised by a white trash A-hole who brought his junk to the desert to dump it! It takes people that give a shit to tell there friends and to tell people they see off road.

You think Calico is bad you ought to see Jtree I grew up going out there and it's gotten worse and worse every year. We would need 10 of those dumpsters to clean up an area half the size of calico! The sad thing is there is even a dump out there and people are too lazy to bring there junk that far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,160 Posts
Jason if you think that is bad you should see behind my house and practically every other vacant section of empty desert bordering Las Vegas, its no different than the local dump. A lot of people disgust me, and yes, I do try to educate as many as possible on the subject but it is very hard to do without coming off as an A-hole yourself (especially drunken shooters!). The majority of the trash dumping here in Vegas is just like you said, local homeowners or construction guys that are too damn lazy to drive 15 minutes to the real dump. I recently read in another post something that struck a nerve with me, its not us vs. the environmental whacko's. We need too need to become environmentalists and care about the areas we use for motorized recreation or they will be taken from us. Maybe we dont need to be "extremists" but if someone has no concern for the land and is out running our trails, and making us look bad he/she is my enemy... not just the enviro-whacko's extremists.

Im glad that you have "seen the light", your recount of your youth is proof positive that we can make a difference. I will add that you, Wyatt, and DO seem to do more than your fair share in the effort to get the right message out there. Thank you guys for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Good times for sure!
We worked our tails off cleaing up! I worked with a great group! I wish I could have stayed for the bbq & raffle but I had to get back. Any TTORA peps win cool stuff?
RJ- sorry to hear you broke. Ouch! Were you able to drive it home?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
thunder chicken said:
Good times for sure!
We worked our tails off cleaing up! I worked with a great group! I wish I could have stayed for the bbq & raffle but I had to get back. Any TTORA peps win cool stuff?
RJ- sorry to hear you broke. Ouch! Were you able to drive it home?
you should have heard it go, echoed loud in the canyon :D

but yea, it drove in 2wd fine, just a slight grinding :rolleyes:

got a spare one in my garage, prob put it in this weekend so no worries
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,393 Posts
mojavehanna said:
Jason if you think that is bad you should see behind my house and practically every other vacant section of empty desert bordering Las Vegas, its no different than the local dump. A lot of people disgust me, and yes, I do try to educate as many as possible on the subject but it is very hard to do without coming off as an A-hole yourself (especially drunken shooters!). The majority of the trash dumping here in Vegas is just like you said, local homeowners or construction guys that are too damn lazy to drive 15 minutes to the real dump. I recently read in another post something that struck a nerve with me, its not us vs. the environmental whacko's. We need too need to become environmentalists and care about the areas we use for motorized recreation or they will be taken from us. Maybe we dont need to be "extremists" but if someone has no concern for the land and is out running our trails, and making us look bad he/she is my enemy... not just the enviro-whacko's extremists.

Im glad that you have "seen the light", your recount of your youth is proof positive that we can make a difference. I will add that you, Wyatt, and DO seem to do more than your fair share in the effort to get the right message out there. Thank you guys for that.
I'm no idiot if there are no off road places left to wheel then my product doesn't have much purpose!



You are right, it is hard to come off as someone who cares and not an a-hole. I remember a couple years ago I was wheeling with a jeep club in Big Bear we were blocking the trail and some guys on bikes road up off the trail and around us. One of the jeep guys tired to throw a rock at him and started yelling at them. I think if he would have just talked to them and explained how that was the wrong way to go about things he would have come across a lot better.



Something I noticed this weekend while cleaning up, allot of the people camping noticed us cleaning and you could almost see the guilty look on there face's. Sometimes that's all it takes to motivate people. Let them know its ok to clean up even if they didn't bring it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/QUOTE]Something I noticed this weekend while cleaning up, allot of the people camping noticed us cleaning and you could almost see the guilty look on there face's. Sometimes that's all it takes to motivate people. Let them know its ok to clean up even if they didn't bring it. [/QUOTE]


I hope it made a differance, Even though there was a lot of us there cleaning up I think we only made a dent in the amount of trash out there. Hopefully it will motivate people to want to clean up there local trails.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
While we were cleaning up on Mule canyon, a group of quads came though and they all said "Thank You, Very Much". I think we made an impact. But only time will tell.

There are lots of areas like Calico that could use a big clean up. I would like to think that if more people would take the time to clean up and help keep the area clean that more would do the same. I know that will not happen, because the people who make the messes knows that someone else will clean it up.

I heard the BLM guys say that they were happy with the outcome of the clean up.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
I would to thank all the sponsers:
4WD Toyota Owner's Magazine · 4 West · 4 Wheel Parts · Advance Adapters · Adventure 4x4 · All-Pro Offroad · ARB USA · Banks Power · Barstow Museum · Blue Ribbon Coalition · Bureau of Land Management · Burrtec Waste Management · California Mini Truck · Demello Offroad · Dirty Parts · Discovery Trails · Donahoe Racing · Downey Off Road Manufacturing · Extreme 4x4 Videos · Family Adventures · FJ Trail Teams · Friends of the Rubicon · J.E. Reel · Mark's Off Road · Marlin Crawler · Medic-1 Ambulance · Metal Tech · Myjeeprocks.com · Northridge Toyota Parts · Off Camber Performance · Pat's Fiberglass and Gelcoat Repair · Pepsi · Powertank · PRP Seats · RCP Crawlers · Rev-Tek · Ruffstuff Specialities · San Bernardino County Sheriffs · Sarmon Products · SBNF.org · Side Kick Off Road Maps · Sway-Away · Toyota Land Cruisers Assoc. · Toyota Racing Development · Tread Lightly! · Tri-County Gear · Tom Wood's Custom Drive Shafts · TTORA SoCal · Tucker Tires · Valley Hybrids · Warn Industries · Winchline.com

Also everyone who came out and worked to help clean up the area.

We really need to do something like that in southern nevada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
I don't have the final numbers as of yet, but I want to personally thank everyone of you that volunteered to come out and bust your butt (other than Darrin, of course). We overfilled (2) 40' roll off's and an additional (3) bins full of crap. We fed well over 500 people and generated over $4000 for Friends of the Rubicon, Discovery Trails and Blue Ribbon Coalition. All of this was made possible by you and the generous sponsors that donated to this great land use issue. They didn't have to-but they did it for all of us. Unfortunately, I kinda sorta forgot to acknowledge them before the raffle.

Like many of you, I shoot and wheel-responsibly. It's not just the shooters and it's definetly not just the wheelers. It's all of us and the locals surrounding the area that are to lazy and/or arrogant to use a trash can or the dump. This clean up will be an annual event. I urge you guys to find another area and organize a clean up. If you need help, let us know and I'll personally walk you through it. Again, Thank You TTORA!

Mark Watkins
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
109 Posts
It was a lot of fun and it makes you feel good to do something so powerful! I think this even makes some of us that were there more aware, which will definately make an impact, it's all about one person at a time! Can't wait to do it again next year!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Next year Darrin can not pick the tickets if there is raffle... :D
 
1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Top