TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched but couldnt find anything so i thought id ask anyways. im assuming not but does anyone know if theyre holding the calico cleanup again this year???

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
I e-mailed the lead organizer from the past two events so our club might find a roll, but he did not reply to me. I know there were some issues, and hence the web site kind of dropped from it previously impressive state. Hopefully they’ll pull it together as it was a nice event, really cleaned the place up well and running Odessa and Doran are nice prizes for having gone!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in 2008, the cleanup was held in February...

Their website has no information at the present time
http://www.calicocleanup.com/
yeah...by this year i meant 2009. i just would have figured theyd have some info up by now but theyre website has nothing on it. i was just curious if someone else knew anything about it or not. had a good time at the last one, was hoping itll be held again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
217 Posts
rather than cleaning calico every time, we could find three or four of the dirtyest OHV areas and rotate every evry year. i think it would have a larger impact as a whole. ie. keep more trails open.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
rather than cleaning calico every time, we could find three or four of the dirtyest OHV areas and rotate every evry year. i think it would have a larger impact as a whole. ie. keep more trails open.

Though this sounds good on the surface the problems lies in relationships and logistics. When a group focuses on one place, they form relationships with the stake holders, such as the local BLM, vendors (like for porta potties, dumpsters and what not, and venues in this case, and they can focus each year on what needs to be done, knowing the area and problems better each time. When you (as a planning group) move from area to area, you have to form different relationships each time, acquire new knowledge and all of that. The logistics become more difficult and there is more work just in planning.

So, many groups focus on one area, such as those that do Calico and El Mirage because it is easier to keep on course. There are a lot of off roaders! Plenty to go around and, folks should make more than one event of this nature a year! There are plenty of opportunities to help in just about every area!

Calico is going to need work and clean up. They are getting ramped up now and the website is working again with more information to come.
http://www.calicocleanup.com/

Please keep checking.

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Besides, strive to make every trail run a trail cleanup :)
I have this Oceanography Professor who, while talking about other stuff as he was prone to do, told us that we should pick up three pieces of litter every day, no matter where we were. That if everyone did it, soon, things would be cleaned up. Just three pieces!

I do not get three every day, I guess work and home are clean enough. But I try and more so when out and about to pick up litter. I do not know why people leave beer cans everyplace they go or why they’ll haul their couch past the dump to toss it in the woods a mile away! Kind of pisses me off.

Calico Cleanup focuses a whole bunch of folks in one place and scrubs it clean!

Plus last year we ran Odessa and Doran, made a movie and everything: http://www.socaltaco.com/images/displayimage.php?album=13&pos=77

Good times!

http://www.calicocleanup.com

All these young folks on this here forum should be happy to go out and put in a hard day of work! ;)

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I'm sure i will be there, cleaning and riding my motor scooter. this is my favorite event of the year, and this will be year 4 in a row.

Mike

·
Browns Fan on Dirt!
2,996 Posts
Just an FYI: According to Mr. Watkins today, the Cleanup is postponed, with no confirmed date for the event. I do not know anything more than that, and have withdrawn assistance at this time. Hopefully they’ll get it squared away but, Johnson Valley activism is likely where most folks in Southern California should be spending their efforts today.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
^ true words Dennis.
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts