TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to change the front pads and I have one out and replaced it with a new one, but when I try and press the two calipers/pistons(whatever) for the other pad it's very difficult(this is my 3rd brake change without this difficulty). One will go all the way in and kinda gets stuck. I opened the bleed valve to try and relieve some pressure but it's still a bitch. Any suggestions/tips besides the obvious? Oh yah, when one goes all the way in it's still difficult the get it back out by pressing the other. Should I oil them, open up the caliper and rebuild with new dust boots etc.? Help guys, I'm driving my girls '86 accord and it's driving me crazy!

·
Registered
40 Posts
How many miles and what year are we talking about? Might be time for a rebuild, or a replacement. Have your pads been wearing unevenly, or faster than normal? If so that would indicate that the caliper is, in fact, sticking.

Another thing to try (other than opening the bleeder valve :eek: ) would be to take the cap off the master cylinder. You might have too much fluid in there, and it just simply has no place to go when you are compressing the pistons. When you are changing pads, the fluid should actually be close to the low mark on the resevoir. If you are showing full, then suck some of the fluid out so it does not go everywhere with the new pads in place. After the pad change, either bleed the brakes (need to since you opened the bleeder valve) or top off the fluid to the full mark.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TacoPoPo said:
How many miles and what year are we talking about? Might be time for a rebuild, or a replacement.

Yah, they did wear rather quick this time around, I can't quite remember the mileage but I'm sure it was quicker. Is there a rebuild kit, I'm sure there is, but where do you think the cheepest place to find it is, TRD4U? I tried the resevoir cap jiggy and the fluid was at the lower mark as well. I think a rebuild is in order as well, just lazy and wanted someone to light a fire under my ass! Thanks for the thought.
:D

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
ewood said:
TacoPoPo said:
How many miles and what year are we talking about? Might be time for a rebuild, or a replacement.

Yah, they did wear rather quick this time around, I can't quite remember the mileage but I'm sure it was quicker. Is there a rebuild kit, I'm sure there is, but where do you think the cheepest place to find it is, TRD4U? I tried the resevoir cap jiggy and the fluid was at the lower mark as well. I think a rebuild is in order as well, just lazy and wanted someone to light a fire under my ass! Thanks for the thought.
:D
TRDparts4u has a rebuild kit for both front calipers. About $15. You need access to air and a piece of wood to rebuild according to the FSM. PM me your email addy and I will send you what Chris King sent me about the rebuild

·
Registered
40 Posts
Rebuild kit is the cheapest way to go, if you have the ability to do the work yourself. This is not the component to experiement on. Nothing like thinking...."Hmmmm, I wonder if I put that pin back in?"....while traveling 60mph.

You can pick up a remanufactured caliper for a bit more, but it has been done professionally and comes with a warranty. The majority of them will come with a core charge so you would have to take your old calipers back to them.

Side note, if anyone has any spare calipers that need rebuilding, but you have no use for them, find a 240/260/280Z owner and sell them. They will happily take them from you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
cooper4x4 said:
Around $50 after you return the core from O'reillys.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I have had good luck with remand parts from Carquest as well. Advance and Autozone will also be able to provide you with them as well. That is the option I would personally go with. Then you just take one caliper off, and put the new one on. Ready to go.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vatozone it is

Autozone for $50 dollars is what I am going to go with guys. Thanks a lot again for all of the input, priceless. Lifetime warranty and al will give me peice of mind and the rebuild will be around $30 anyways plus my time and I'm sure frustration. I'm afraid the pistons won't seal if I rebuild cause I've been through some crap if you know what I mean!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts