TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with my junk.
Backstory: was in the process of installing a twin stick onto my Tacoma transfercase. It's a 99 2.7 5 speed with a j shift type shifter. I broke my original transfercase due to tightening the bolts before everything was aligned. Got a new transfercase. Miles are unknown but everything seems to be functioning properly.

Anyway. I got the case apart to do the twinstick modifications. Ie pulling the "pill" (straight pin) and grinding the tab down so the rails move independently.
See this for clarification: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~dickfoster/Pics/T Case Twin Stick Prep

I got everything put back together. Without the twin stick shifter attached to the case I can take a screwdriver and shift both rails independently without issue. When I put the twin stick onto the case, the passenger side shifter and rail (2/4) moves without issue. The problem is the with the drivers side shifter and rail (H/N/L). It will not shift between high and neutral. It is stuck in high range with the shift rail all the way towards the rear of the transfer case.

The shifter feet seem to not interfere with each other when the shifter is off of the truck. They are really close, but the move back and forth smoothly.

I'm not sure what else to try. Anyone have any experience with these things or ideas what could be wrong with the shifter?
I'm hoping to get into contact with Davez offroad tomorrow morning. But until then, any help would be appreciated.

The FSM page: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/tr/traass/comp.pdf

·
Registered
992 Posts
Didn't grind enough of the pin? I'm no expert but that sounds like it may be the problem.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
You probably have tried this, but have you rotated the shafts to get things lined up. Gears might just not be lining up quite right. Like I said, just stating the simple before everyone chimes in with some crazy s#!t.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't grind enough of the pin? I'm no expert but that sounds like it may be the problem.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Didn't grind enough of what pin? Like I said the rails move perfectly fine and independent of each other when the twin stick is not mounted.

You probably have tried this, but have you rotated the shafts to get things lined up. Gears might just not be lining up quite right. Like I said, just stating the simple before everyone chimes in with some crazy s#!t.
Yea we tried that a bunch. Wasn't helping. Again, the thing shifts fine without the sticks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Funky angle on the shifter?? Maybe putting a bit of sidewise pressure on the rail?? I think you can mostly rule out all the internals as being good if it shifts fine without the shifter... I'm sure you've already thought of all these things, once again. What about bolt locations? I didn't look while I was there, but could a mounting bolt for the shifter be contacting the rail?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Funky angle meaning too steep of an angle between the shifter end and the catch on the rail where it fits in there. Also, the ends on the shifter were rounded, could the square edge be catching up on the rounded edge of the shifter?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so we brainstormed last night and we're thinking that it is the shape of the shift "nub" and the shift rail that are allowing one side to shift properly and the other to get bound.
If you look on the left side rail you'll see how it is raised up higher than the right yet the indentations in the shift nub are identical.
I'm going to get out there later and grind away at the shift rail.
And yes, I know it looks like the left side shift rail is contacting the right side one, but it's not.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I know what your problem is, I had the same when I did mine on my FJ case.....

Let me see how to word this.

The raised piece on the left shifter fork either has to go, or you have to trim your shifters into a more rounded shape at the end.

fuck, I could show you in 2 seconds, but can't type it over the internet.

The left shifter (in the pic) needs to have a notch for that raised piece on the left shifter fork.

Make the tips of the shifters more rounded with a grinder.

This is ground control to major Tom.......are we reaching?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Grind a tiny bit, test fit, try to shift, grind a tiny bit, test fit, try to shift. Do this until it shift smooth as butter.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks man, sounds like we're on the same page. I'd rather grind the shift rali but don't want to take the case apart. I see on the shift nub where it's contacting the raised part so I guess that's where I'll start. Will update later!
I was able to leave the raised part, and just lightly trim the shifters, they wil probably need it even after the shifter fork trimming.

I would also round out the corners on the shifter forks where the shifters sit just a tad.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Dumb question but it burned me when installing my triple sticks. Are you sure the shift nubs are going in the shift rail holes? I missed on one of mine and it would shift out of 4wd and jam, took it off and thats what the porblem was. You have to be real careful installing them because they like to pop out. I would check that before the grinder comes out.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dumb question but it burned me when installing my triple sticks. Are you sure the shift nubs are going in the shift rail holes? I missed on one of mine and it would shift out of 4wd and jam, took it off and thats what the porblem was. You have to be real careful installing them because they like to pop out. I would check that before the grinder comes out.
Yea the left side shift rail goes into all three positions and I can see it in there with the detent plug removed. As stated before, it functions properly without the sticks on there.

Brian from FROR confirmed Lrgrnr's and my thoughts on pirate. Grinder deff needs to come out.

Edit: misread your post. Yea the nubs are deff in the shift rail holes. We positioned them both at the very front so the nubs go in at the same spot.

Thanks for your help slander!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Scuba,
A little gear marking compound will help you see how the contact is going. You want to make sure you get a good size contact patch or it will wear.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Took 1/8th of an inch off of the shifter nub and it works just fine. Score!

Thank you for the help everyone.
I feel like an idiot but maybe future searchers wot have this issue.
No problem.............It gave me hell also.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Yea buddy! See you fools on the lakebed

1 - 20 of 47 Posts