TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the middle of installing my Fabtech 6" lift and im at the part of pulling out my LCAs. The drivers side came off no problem, but unfortunately, the front Cam bolt core wont come out. I've removed the bolt, and that backing plate, but it appears that core/sleeve for the cam bolt has frozen itself inside the Lower Control Arm. I tried spraying it with 3-In-1, and then pounding the hell out of it with a hammer, but that still doesnt seem to work. Anyone have any suggestions on how to unfreeze it?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Im in the middle of installing my Fabtech 6" lift and im at the part of pulling out my LCAs. The drivers side came off no problem, but unfortunately, the front Cam bolt core wont come out. I've removed the bolt, and that backing plate, but it appears that core/sleeve for the cam bolt has frozen itself inside the Lower Control Arm. I tried spraying it with 3-In-1, and then pounding the hell out of it with a hammer, but that still doesnt seem to work. Anyone have any suggestions on how to unfreeze it?
unlucky you gets to cut it out with a sawsall and buy a new one... been there done that, you are not going to get it out if its froze...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Took some work, but I had one of mine rusted solid and I let it soak for a few hours with PB Blaster and I was finally able to beat it out. I got lucky with it, but most people that have a cam freeze up have to do like Corey said and sawzall it out.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took some work, but I had one of mine rusted solid and I let it soak for a few hours with PB Blaster and I was finally able to beat it out. I got lucky with it, but most people that have a cam freeze up have to do like Corey said and sawzall it out.
We beat to a pulp... then tried cutting it out. It finally got to the point where we just use a dremel and got it down far enough to pull the LCA out. Yah, needless to say Im gonna need a new one, possibly even a new LCA.. or atleast the joint/bearing that fits in the front/front passenger side of the LCA. I basically cut the ends off, but still have the majority of the sleeve still frozen in there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would just buy a new cam assembly. They are not that much money!
Anyone got a good source on a place to get a replacement Cam Assembly? Or atleast know how much these run from Toyota? I talked to Les Schwab today and they said just go to Toyota. Unfortunately, Toyotas parts department was closed this afternoon for some reason, so havent had a chance to check on prices from the dealer.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, ended up cleaning all the old rubber out with a 1.5" steel wire wheel, then heading down to parts shop to have them press out the old bushing sleeve and put in a new bushing assembly. The new bushing was about $60 after being pressed in. I then got lucky with the a replacement cam assembly, as a guy locally just SAS'd his Taco and still had some of his LCA parts lying around. He hooked me up with the cam bolt for free! Anyway, its been a couple of weeks now and everything is back together and been aligned. I know a lot of people seem to bash the Fabtech lifts, but so far, I love mine. It might have something to do with my Bilstein 7100's with dual spring coilovers...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got done dremel-ing my sleeves out of my truck, 3 of the 4 were seized and I spent 8 hours cutting and prying. Ordered new control arm bushings, camber sleeves and plates, and tie rod ends. Looking to do the lbj's soon. I am having the bushings pressed in tomorrow and well see how she goes back together. I'm gonna use a ton of grease to prevent them seizing ever again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
That's what I meant to say :xcrazy:

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
What type of coating is used on the cam bolts & sleeves?

If it's something that will result in corrosion between dissimilar metals when it's wetted down, anti-seize will help. If not, grease is cheaper, just as effective (I have used grease since I had to cut my cam bolts out), and will resist washout much better.

A/S is sacrificial. Grease is not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts