TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have rear add-a-leafs with sway-a-way's in the front with 33" BFG M/T's. the sway away's are adjusted just enough so i don't screw up my steering (in plain terms). the problem is the front of my truck sits a lot lower than the back. if i get camburg upper a-arms and adjust the sway-away's all the way to their maximum travel will the front of my truck still sit low? level? or higher in the front?

·
Registered
718 Posts
the coilovers are adjustable, so you should be able to crank them up until the front is level with the rear. the UCAs dont provide any more lift.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do ya think i can manage getting the front higher than the rear?

·
Registered
718 Posts
depends, most coilover manufacturers say not to lift the front of the truck more than 2.5" because you can ruin your CV joints that way. so if your AAL only gave you about 2" of lift i would say, yes you could raise your front higher than the rear. but if you got 3" or more out of the AAL then i wouldnt attempt to raise the front higher than the rear.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sry im new to the lingo.. what is an AAL?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gotcha

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
AAL = Add A Leaf. There are numerous reasons not to lift your front suspension too much, just a quick SEARCH will make that clear. Your CV boots will wear prematurly and you will eliminate the majority of your suspension's down travel. Besides that why do you want the front of your truck higher than the back? The stock truck was set-up to have the rear about an inch higher. Think how dippy your truck will look with a load in it sinking the rear even further.
Instead of cranging the front why not remove the AAL?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i could but then, like u said, the rear will sink even more cuz that aal helps a lot when i put two motorcycles in the back. i gues i could take out the aal and throw in some air load assist springs.. any other ideas?

·
Registered
718 Posts
so are you looking to lift the truck or have more hauling capabilities? Air bags will help with allowing you to haul more, but will not lift your truck. I know a guy that has airbags on the back of his tacoma and he loves them. its all what you want to do.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
so are you looking to lift the truck or have more hauling capabilities? Air bags will help with allowing you to haul more, but will not lift your truck. I know a guy that has airbags on the back of his tacoma and he loves them. its all what you want to do.
Air bag will lift the back of the truck up to 2.0 inches. I know because I have them. I put them in to help support the cheesy oem spring when I was hauling construction material for my house.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Toss two or three 60lb bags of sand in the rear of the bed. Not only will it bring down the back (obviously) but the ride will improve as well. If you try it and don't like it just return the sand. If you do like, then wrap the bags with duct tape and they will hold up well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
SADGOAT said:
Toss two or three 60lb bags of sand in the rear of the bed. Not only will it bring down the back (obviously) but the ride will improve as well. If you try it and don't like it just return the sand. If you do like, then wrap the bags with duct tape and they will hold up well.
Yeah, over here on the East we got about 4-5 inches of sleet on Friday and Saturday, and it weighed a shit load. Smoothed up my Alcans quite nicely. Woke up this morning and it was finally up there with Frosty... :( Oh well. hehe.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea i could do that but i think id rather go with the air bags. say i got the air bags and threw them underneath. is it an easy install if i just want to use an external compressor to inflate them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts